[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tire explodes at New Hampshire auto center, killing worker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12
File: split rim cage.jpg (28 KB, 385x433) Image search: [Google]
split rim cage.jpg
28 KB, 385x433
Fuck, what a stupid way to die. Do NOT fuck around with inflated tires, /o/. They can and will continue to kill people.

>According to a 911 call released by Salem police, a caller reports that a worker was filling up the tire when it "exploded off the machine" and hit both men in the head.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WORKER_KILLED_AUTO_CENTER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-19-13-35-55
>>
>>14081995
>Sears
Found the problem
>>
Whats a "Large Tire"? Is it some big 'ole brotruck tire or an actual truck tire? Either way it sounds like something Sears shouldn't have been doing anyway.
>>
this used to freak me out when setting beads on our kart tires. once they get to 80psi and bead still hasnt popped you start getting pretty nervous
>>
>Inflating truck tyres outside of the cage
This is called natural selection, and is a good thing.
>>
>inflating tires out of the cage
what are you? retarded?
>>
File: Split03.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Split03.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
oh man those things are loud when they let go
>>
File: nNrFq.gif (1021 KB, 450x239) Image search: [Google]
nNrFq.gif
1021 KB, 450x239
boom
>>
Just out of high school, I was working for a diesel truck repair facility. tractor trailer tires were aired up inside a reinforced cage that had 3" tubing. One day I heard a blast louder than anything I've ever heard. The split rim blew apart, the ring went through the cage, through the cab of a truck, then bounced off the walls and ceiling before coming to a rest. No-one seriously hurt, just some damaged hearing for a couple days.
>>
>>14082117
jesus talk about being the unluckiest fucker alive
>>
>>14082124
what the fuck
>>
>>14082128
He was going to slice the tire. Fucker got what was coming to him.
>>
I had one big 10 lug rim blow up before:

I did the "lean the clamp ring side of the tire against a solid wall" thing when it happened, and I won't do that again. I put the air chuck on it and walked over to the air valve and started airing it up and it blew the clamp ring off, and I HIT THE DECK! The clamp ring hit the wall, and the rim BLEW OUT of the tire and shot 20 FEET out into a field. That scared the crap out of me.
>>
>>14082124
Sounds like some pleb pumped 150psi into it
>>
>>14082124
>just some damaged hearing for a couple days.
There's no such thing as temporary hearing damage.
Enjoy your EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>14082158
aren't most truck tires about 100 psi?
>>
>>14082141
oh he actually did slice it. i thought he was going to take the tire off or something and just got unlucky as fuck.
>>
>>14082162
Yes dickhead, and every time you use your clutch you're damaging it.

Learn the difference between damage and wear.
By the time my shit is deaf we'll have god tier implants
>>
File: Split Rim Tire Mounting.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Split Rim Tire Mounting.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>>
File: tires.png (432 KB, 504x704) Image search: [Google]
tires.png
432 KB, 504x704
>>
>>14082203
>Going above 50psi in passenger tyres
This is also natural selection. Shame there wasn't more death.
>>
>>14082192
He's right.
>>
BAN ASSAULT TIRES!
>>
>>14082260
fuck off autist

>>>/k/
>>
>>14082072
>>14082094

Cages are useless. If your so worried about the tire exploding when your adding air to it the only safe place it can be is bolted to the vehicle. Seat the bead, install the wheel and THEN air it up all the way. If it explodes the wheel wont go anywhere, and the tire will just flop there, since most tubeless tires don't just come apart into 50 pieces, they zipper and open up, like >>14082117

The problem is cages offer a false sense of security. The tire is just as likely to blow up as you reach into the cage or roll it over to the vehicle as it is in the cage. Hell, in theory its more liable to explode being installed on the vehicle as its being handled pretty rough there.

That being said, its often the tire itself failing, which is normally preventable. The split rim design is shit and should never be inflated past 30 PSI without being properly bolted to the vehicle.
>>
Damn I drove right by there just a few hours before that happened.

Tyres exploding are terrifying, only heard one from another room and you can feel it
>>
>>14082113

Have those same rims on Hilux however I've heard those are not proper split "killer" rims.

I and tire guy did take few steps back while airing those up tho.
>>
I was out cycling (don't hate me /o/) a few months ago at about 1am, roads were quiet as fuck, all was great.

Come to a T junction, I'm stopped at some lights, huge artic flatbed truck turning out off a main road, all of a sudden the tyre nearest to me FUCKING EXPLODES.

Almost fucking shit myself, rubber flying everywhere, dusty, particulate shit everywhere. No holes in me, body intact.

Cycle off and get a new PB due to adrenalin rush.

Fuck pressure man.
>>
>>14081995
"Sir, this tire is done, look the treads already separating and you've got a fucking bulge in the sidewall."

"NO! You just try for upsell me! Just inflate tire, I show you it ok!"

R.I.P Justin and Sanjeet.
>>
>>14084108
>fuck pressure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident
>>
>>14081995
Can this happen with regular passenger car tires? Or is it only with split rims/widow makers?

https://youtu.be/Bqwok5-ehbA?t=11m55s
>>
>>14081995
Dumbass minimum wage workers.

>Bring a leaking ATV tire to Walmart
>Tell the attendants to patch it and air it up
>"Fill it to 5 PSI."

Fucker hands it back to me at 15 PSI.
>>
File: RWS-3TC-Manual-Tire-Changer-AU.png (98 KB, 349x349) Image search: [Google]
RWS-3TC-Manual-Tire-Changer-AU.png
98 KB, 349x349
>>14085640
I just recently bought a manual tyre changer as I'm so fed up with tyre places. My wheels are only 14 inch so it shouldn't be too hard.
Will give it a go when I get the chance... my (grippy enough) all seasons may well last as long as I desire to keep this car
>>
>>14085654
Bolt it down to a piece of plywood and use A LOT of lube. Good lube too.

You can use a mojo bar or a no mar lever if you don't want to scratch your rims. Otherwise, they work pretty good, just take technique and elbow grease.

It will pay itself off with the first tire change you do. The harbor freight is even cheap enough to throw away as shops will charge you twice what the HF tire changer cost just to mount.
>>
>>14085654
Isn't that just a bead breaker?

As long as you arent worried about scratching up the rims and arent using lowpro tires a set of spoons works fine.
>>
>>14085691
The bit on the bottom is a bead breaker but on top you can mount the tyre afterwards to attack it with a tyre lever
>>
>>14085673
I bolted it down to my garage floor which is concrete and used a torque wrench to set the concrete anchors.
Yay for autism
>>
File: 825700067_780.jpg (12 KB, 311x305) Image search: [Google]
825700067_780.jpg
12 KB, 311x305
>>14085654

I got one from Harbor Freight and did about 10+ sets and randoms for friends. It really does pay itself off, but keep in mind that the first thing to fail will be the bead breaker . Some beads will be VERY stubborn and could bend the frail thing, if they don't use plenty of lube anyways.

Also buy one of these, saves time...and could be used to fuck with anyone you dont like.
>>
>>14082271
>Seat the bead, install the wheel and THEN air it up all the way.
seating the bead is usually the problem here, not just filling the tire with air.

there's a sticker on our mounting machine at work that says not to go past 40 psi while seating beads. the tires themselves will say not to exceed a certain psi as well (usually around 40) under load. often times for the sake of getting the job done, techs will fill tires up to 80 psi to seat the bead. personally, i don't think risking getting my fingers blown off (probably best case scenerio) is worth $11 and hour.
>>
>>14082192
>>14082243
Hearing impaired anon here

We do have god-tier implants right now, I've actually got almost all of them in my head. Born with cancer-style crap in my ears, grows, covers, and eats away at the bones in your ears/base of your skull. Took 10 years of surgeries to get it under control, then I got the implants. Brought me from 'severe' on the hearing chart (one rank about 'fully deaf') to 'mild-normal' hearing in both ears. Didn't pay a cent. Thanks Canada, 10/10 would be a labrat again.

Although just a free warning to all you faggots, tinnitus never goes away. Ever. Even now I can still hear a gentle eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee if I listen close at night, so don't fuck with your ears if you ever want to hear perfect silence again.
>>
>>14085803
oh yeah, then there's the super sperglord that i work with who will fill the tire up and then beat it with a rubber mallet it in a pathetic attempt to seat that bead, even past recommended psi.
>>
>>14082172
>>14082117
>>14082128
>>14082141

Actually, I think he's holding a pistol there. Looks to me like he shot the damn thing at a range of under a foot.

Smart fellow, huh?
>>
>>14085548
Wew lad
I've first heard of it when I was 10 and now I'm old enough to visit 4chan legally but it still sends shivers down my spine every time I think about it
>>
>>14086019
>read the story
>see the photo of the diver who was standing next to the door a few years later

that feel
>>
File: STRUCK_BY_THE_WRONG_FEEL.jpg (48 KB, 682x537) Image search: [Google]
STRUCK_BY_THE_WRONG_FEEL.jpg
48 KB, 682x537
>>14086176
NOT A GOOD FEEL
>>
>>14085640
>Goes to Walmart

>Expects good service.

Who's the REAL dumbass?
>>
fuck diving.
>>
>>14082168
Yeah 110psi on steers
>>
>>14084108
what the hell is pb?
>>
>>14086711
Also curious about this. Peanut butter?
>>
Are you guys saying I shouldn't put 70 psi in my tires rated for 80 psi? What is the logic behind this?
>>
>>14086711
>>14087180
Papst Blue
>>
>>14087203
>>14087180
>>14086711

Personal Best zzz
>>
>>14081995
>driving a crew cab long bed duramax hauling a trailer to El Paso
>In the middle of nowhere, AZ
>fuckin BOOM from the back of the truck
>oh shit time to pull over
>get out of truck
>tread on left rear tire completely peeled off and dented in the sheet metal and bent the bracing rod for the fender like a taco
>tire still holding 80psi of air with no fucking tread on it

That was the most exhilarating bleed-the-air-out-of-the-tire moment I ever had. Was super paranoid the thing was just going to blow and fuck my shit up.
>>
>>14087224
>nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

Probably would have nigger-rigged a caltrop and driven over it instead.
>>
>>14087190
You fill to car manufacturers specs not max tire psi
>>
File: forklift_tire_explode8.png (46 KB, 744x457) Image search: [Google]
forklift_tire_explode8.png
46 KB, 744x457
three piece forklift wheel allays make me a bit nervous
I've heard of them failing during use
>>
File: Door-placard-large-864x495.jpg (99 KB, 864x495) Image search: [Google]
Door-placard-large-864x495.jpg
99 KB, 864x495
>>14087190
>hit a bump
>boom
the claimed max can be up to a third of the peak pressure the tire can handle
but this is rarely the case

as for proper pressure
some of the older cars have a metal plate to indicate cold tire pressure
and haynes manual will also cover this
>>
>>14085826
Yep! Multiple concussions and exposure to loud noises at a young age here. Sounds like the TV is on 24/7 in my head. Not a good time. Take care of your head
>>
>>14082203

Hunter S Thompson was a laugh, shame he went out the way he did
>>
>>14087293
Usually only young people can hear the background whir of a TV which is muted. Kind of similar to how they have anti teenager 'MOSQUITO" noises.
When I was high school my science teacher couldn't hear it and he would've surely looked after his hearing in his life.
>>
>>14081995

Since I live in the general area I've seen a lot about this on the news. Someone at the store who saw the victim called it "gruesome".
>>
>>14084108

I was on a long drive a couple of years ago, was a really hot day by English standards, in 400 miles we had 3 lorry tires blow out either next to us or slightly ahead of us, within 20 or 30 meters at least and 1 so close the car was dented by some rubber. I couldn't help thinking about that mythbusters truck tire blowout episode.
>>
File: tumblr_mx3dn0lypM1qcr6iqo1_500.jpg (73 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx3dn0lypM1qcr6iqo1_500.jpg
73 KB, 500x667
>>14082203
>sandoz laboratories designed these tires
noice
>>
>>14087315
You lose frequency range as you get older. It's not damage, it's just your body slowly falling apart.
>>
>>14087335
Well it is damage. But only natural wear and tear on the body
>>
>>14087315
I don't even think all young people can hear it. Some CRT TVs produce the most annoying, high pitched EEEEEEE ringing sound the entire time they're on and nobody else seems to hear it.
>>
>>14087360
I have tinnitus but can still hear crt
it is the power supply for the horizontal refresh making that noise
>>
>>14087371
>I have tinnitus but can still hear crt
Me too. Even when there isn't one near me.
>>
>>14087379
the fly back transformer can be repaired so it makes less noise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_scan_rate
15 khz is at the outer limit of what I can hear yet its just enough that I can hear old tv crt
>>
>>14085875
How fucking new are you
>>
>>14087379
Laughed harder than I should have
> who the fuck left something on
> after 20 minutes of searching realize its just me
>>
>>14086711
>>14087180
>>14087221

this. personal best.
>>
>Work on the railway
>go home at night
>super loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in left ear for nearly an hour

RIP my hearing.
>>
>>14085875
Makes a lot sense, i wondered how he pierced the sidewall so fast.
>>
>>14082203
Hunter S. Thompson, I salute thee. We shall not see his like again.
>>
>>14081995
I work in aeroplane maintenance. Those cunts take about three hundred psi in the main gear tyres. There's a dent in the roof of one of our hangars, which are tall enough to fit a Boeing 737, from when a tech blew one up.
>>
>>14087744
>not using electronic earmuffs
its like you dont want to hear shit at all
>>
File: 1448937997627.jpg (878 KB, 2165x2095) Image search: [Google]
1448937997627.jpg
878 KB, 2165x2095
>>14085875
>pistol
>>
>>14087291
I've blown past the limit with my car so many times.
>>
>>14085640

ATV tires are shitty little things. If I have the displeasure of working on one, I leave it at 20-25 PSI for a few hours to make sure the beads are nice and seated before dropping them down.
>>
>>14082005
The first thing that came to mind was "bet it was one of those chain store style garages with non ase certified clowns"
>>
>>14082060
nigger, never go past it's design limit.
The trick is to make sure you soaped up adequately and remove the valve stem for faster filling. If you don't do it the first time do it over with moar soap and wiggle the tire strait. Never had an issue, ever. Especially with some little chode tire you faggot
>>
>>14086236
Internally Kek'd
>>
>>14087256

>tfw manufacturer specs are the tires max specs straight from the dealership
>can't find any replacements that even meet the manufacturer specs

I think I will follow the tires as they are underrated
>>
>>14090107

What kind of vehicle/what are the specs you can't find?
>>
>>14087315

At the age of 28 and after being at a few death metal concerts and riding on 2 stroke power boats my whole life I can still hear Crt tv's from 300 feet away. My brother and cousin at the age of 24 both had the capability but we have never met anyone else who can.
>>
>>14090110

2007 D22 Nissan Frontier. It left Thailand with 205R16 Dunlop grand trek tires that have a max rating of 65 psi, which is what the loaded rear pressure spec is. They don't sell LT tires here because no one buys them when you can find the same/equivalent size in a cheaper passenger tire and run that instead. These are the vehicles that you see being beat to shit on national geographic so an extra $100 on tires really cuts into the bottom line so much that it is totally unprofitable for the next month or so and by then you have shredded them anyway because your alignment is totally out and that piece of steel you just ran over in the mud would cut through anything . Any real working vehicle over 4.5 gross metric tons tends to run 7.00R16.5 and up and those are the beginning of commercial truck tires.
>>
>>14090205
iirc 33 psi
>>
>>14082117
>guy gets in argument
>gets back at the guy by slashing his tire
>tire explodes as he slashes it

I don't believe in karma but if it exists, there it is.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.