[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are 'tuk-tuk' type vehicles legal in developing countries?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tuktukusa.jpg (69 KB, 580x340) Image search: [Google]
tuktukusa.jpg
69 KB, 580x340
Are 'tuk-tuk' type vehicles legal in developing countries? (e.g. the US, Canada, Western Europe)

This is pertinent to a business idea I have floating around my head.

Would it make a difference if they were electric?
>>
>>14080548
>developing countries
You mean developed countries.

And yes, they are legal in Western Europ. Great marketing vehicles. Hell, they even started the whole concept with the Piaggio Ape - a three wheeled cargo vehicle for in the city. Later Piaggio also started making taxi versions for tourism purposes, and they really caught on.Nowadays you'll also see them in Asia, but, as far as I know, they started in Europe.
There are already companies here renting them to tourists, especially in Italy.

You could pretty easily convert them into electric - and you might have to, since certain big city centers are banning ICE vehicles.

Not sure about Canada and the States though.
>>
the only thing I can think of is they aren't really on file anywhere.

People have insured custom three wheeled trikes as motorcycles, and I believe weird shit like a tuk tuk would just fall under the category of "recreational vehicle"

also this
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-company-that-makes-tuk-tuks-is-coming-to-the-us-2015-5
>>
File: 54_Ape20TM.jpg (1 MB, 2657x1772) Image search: [Google]
54_Ape20TM.jpg
1 MB, 2657x1772
Germany here, a local restaurant actually uses a Piaggio Ape as a runabout and for advertisement. Hell, it's an Italian vehicle so Italian cities are probably full of them.
>>
>>14080548
I saw a shit ton of these when I visited India. They call it the "auto-rickshaws". They make the 'tuk-tuk-tuk' sound which is from where it got it's name but it's actually very loud. Also produces a lot of smoke. The ride is sure bumpy but fun. Maximum speeds are 80 kmh (50 mph) which is rather slow. Not very safe too.

>Are 'tuk-tuk' type vehicles legal in developing countries?
Mostly not because of the above description I told.
>>
I think part of the charm of these things, apart from the adrenaline rush of being so close to death when in one, is hearing a waspy 175cc engine buzzing away. That's probably just me though.

They're legal here in the UK. Here in Liverpool a company uses them as a sort of taxi to clubs, bars and restaurants, all of them outfitted with a booming karaoke system in the back.
>>
>>14080559 again here.

>>14080562 is right, several restaurants in Europe (not in Italy though), use Ape's as both promotional vehicles, and for small groceries. They're ideal for this kind of stuff, and rarely require a full driving license, most of the time a moped license will do. A lot of Italian restaurants nea me use the,, because they're considered quintessentially Italian, and make for great mobile advertisements.

>>14080564
Most recreational vehicles in the US don't need safety testing, and Ape's don't need safety testing (that I know of) in Europe, so you'd have no problems with that.
Now, as I mentioned before, the engine might be a problem. Most Ape's/tuktuks use 2 stroke engines, which can be banned from city centers. Electric conversions might help - but a 4 stroke engine conversion might get you in the city centers as well. A 2 stroke will also have pretty high running costs compared to a 4 stroke. You'll want to stick to city centers though, they don't work well above 60kph.
>>
I think they would be legal in Canada and the states IF you managed the get them classified as motorcycles.
Otherwise, it needs a laminated windshield, bumpers, crumple zones, airbags and side impact bars to meet US standards.
>>
>>14080586
Won't work as motorcycles, but they can be classified as recreational vehicles. That will make them illegal for highway use, but trust me when I say you will never be taking one onto the higway unless you've got a deathwish.
>>
>>14080559
Fuck, yeah, I meant DEVELOPED countries.
>>
So what are the restrictions on "recreational vehicle" in North America? (assume this applies to ATVs and golf carts and the like)
>>
Main reason why they are not popular in developed countries is winter.

Most developed countries are up in north.

Such vehicles would lack the stability and traction to safely operate in snow.
>>
>>14080669
>Most developed countries are up in north.
???
>>
>>14080669
There's also the fact that they're super uncomfortable for passengers.

I don't understand people taking them in South Asia when a motorbike taxi usually costs less and is much more comfortable.
>>
>>14080683
In half of US, most part of Europe, Canada you get snow. You're left with few countries like Italy where you actually do see such vehicles and Australia, but in Australia you need AC. :D But thats just my opinion.
>>
>>14080586
I've seen one in Kansas, but we don't even have inspections.
>>
File: chrysler-gem-black-4-seater-03.jpg (181 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
chrysler-gem-black-4-seater-03.jpg
181 KB, 667x500
>>14080548
They are legal in the united States. Garia lsv. Although the top speed is 25 mph. So you are stuck in residential areas. You see them driving around in El Segundo.
>>
Cops used to use them in nyc. Some still do but i dont see a lot of them anymore
>>
>>14081072
Might as well stick some lights on an offroad buggy to make it road legal before driving that crutch there.
>>
>>14080548
Yes, they are legal in the US, sold as both gas-powered and electrics.

If you google it, you can actually find companies that build tuktuks in the US.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.