[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1991 2L-i16S 4WS Prelude >156 000 KM >no mechanical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: prelude.jpg (37 KB, 671x503) Image search: [Google]
prelude.jpg
37 KB, 671x503
>1991 2L-i16S 4WS Prelude
>156 000 KM
>no mechanical problems
>seller asks 900 Euros, and open to bargain
>BUT says left back wheel-side body is to be redone
I know this has to be rust, but should I bite the bullet ? Could I have some info on costs of repairs depending on the degree of the infestation ?
>>
it has pop ups so every single reason you should not get it is thereby disdained
>>
>>14077943
but its fwd
>>
Low KMs, so that's a plus. They're well made, but the engines are a hit or miss. It's one of the lesser of the Honda engines after 300kms.

>2L-i16S
France? Fuck, that has the best B20A made, the B20A7 I'm fairly sure. Buy it.
>>
File: 1413772750392.gif (922 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1413772750392.gif
922 KB, 400x225
>>14077945
POP UPS
>>
File: prelude2.jpg (43 KB, 671x503) Image search: [Google]
prelude2.jpg
43 KB, 671x503
>>14077960
>>14077943
Thanks for replying this fast, and even more with reasonable advice. I might buy it, but if I'll end up dealing with rust, I'd like to know what kind of money and time I should spare for it.
Also, this little gem was just put on sale yesterday, so I think it might be a sign.
>>
>>14077993
It's probably not structural rust. And I have no clue how harsh the inspections are in whatever country your in. Here in burgerland you can drive something held together with strings as long as all the lights work and it has a tag.
>>
File: 5346544.jpg (313 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
5346544.jpg
313 KB, 1024x576
>>14077993
Depends how much rust it has. Whole quarters run you another 900 euros, but just cutting/patching costs nothing if you're skilled with a welder. I doubt it's structural because Europe.

You should set aside a decent chunk of cash. The B20As are notorious for poor maintenance, which later leads to ring failure and oil burn. It's a suggestion more than a need due to that one having low km. My Prelude had 415k km on it and blew then, but it was maintained like dirt for some of its life. Swaps like the H22A and F20B are great alternatives.

Suspensions on these are versatile and easy to make into an extremely well handling car, however your plus is the 4WS and downfall is the extra weight.
>>
>>14078024
okay so with a spare, I should be prepared for the worst ? If this is the case, there's a good chance I'll end up buying it then.
Also thanks for your advice
>>
>>14078050
sorry I meant a grand and a half spare. Is 900 euros the price of a brand new quarter panel ?
>>
>>14078062
Yes, full quarter.

The price is a good deal, Preludes in America are hard to find for that cheap in decent shape.
>>
>>14078074
Okay this is it. It's 4am here, but I'll ring the seller tomorrow. Next is deciding how to travel the 100km between us, and pay a mechanic inspection to be sure about the "no mechanical problems" part.
>>
>>14078099
I bet it'll need interval, so that'll run you a bit of money. Not terrible though.
>>
>>14078099
Idk how it is in europe but if you're trying to get a cheap ass car, it's in bad taste to get a mechanical inspection. you have to assume it's gonna have problems of some kind. if you're planning on fixing things you should be aware of major faults with your own inspection and test drive

also
>4ws
>downfall

lol yeah rite
>>
>>14078106
Interval ? What is it ?
>>
>>14078108
>Downfall is the weight
>Extra 300 pounds
I wouldn't get it if I had the option now.

>>14078110
Timing belt, water pump, etc. Interval maintenance that is about due at 120-150k km.
>>
>>14078116
Oh, says in the ad he did all the timing stuff recently. I've never trusted sellers, hence the double inspection habit, but the main problem seems to be the quarter panel. Hope it's not completely rusted through. Have any more advice you'd like to share ?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.