[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>speed LIMIT >meaning don't go faster than a certain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 16
File: 1384926311519.gif (2 MB, 400x197) Image search: [Google]
1384926311519.gif
2 MB, 400x197
>speed LIMIT
>meaning don't go faster than a certain speed but you're free to go slower (but above minimum speed)

>people still want to crawl into your ass if you're at limit or slightly slower
>people even get mad if you do not permanently go at speed limit or even get pissed if you're slower than 5miles above it

How comes that so many people confuse speed limit with minimum speed?
>>
>>14076667
Because speed limits are arbitrarily slow due to politics. /thread.
>>
>>14076667
Because the current speed limits should be the minimum speed. If you go any slower, you're disrupting the flow of traffic and putting yourself and others in danger.
>>
>>14076673
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
>>
File: 573868564.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
573868564.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
Oh boy.

This will turn into a boiracer general in no time.
>>
>>14076715
it literally is, and has been proven to be so for the past half century
>>
>>14076783
OMG WHERES MY TIN FOIL HAT THE ALIENS ARE COMING TO GET US 9/11 THE J00Z1!!!
>>
>>14076702
>>14076673
These, they were designed for 50s cars and haven't been raised in the US. Although I thibk it might be a fuel economy thing by letting manufacturers focus on good mpgs in the 60-80 mph range.
>>
congress rammed through their energy saving bill in 1974 as a result of the oil crises. it mandated a 55mph national speed limit which states resisted, but had to enforce as condition for getting federal highway funds. the speed limit has crept up since then as the bill was modified and then scrapped, but has a ways to go to reach our safe driving limits. if you're driving less than the artificially low maximum you're intentionally creating a speed differential between you and the fastest legal vehicles on the road, so unless you have an obligatory reason for creating an unsafe condition (oversize load, large truck, wet conditions) you really have no excuse.
>>
File: large.png (133 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
large.png
133 KB, 500x282
>cars are faster than ever before
>cars are safer than ever before
>people are commuter farther than ever before, simply out of necessity
>people are spending more time in their vehicles for everything, even necessary things like driving to get groceries or go to the doctor (no more small neighbourhood shops, all centralized, big box stores)

Yet we maintain these ancient, artificially low speed limits. Driving is an inalienable part of life, especially if you don't live in a major city. I'm Canadian, and in a small town. You MUST have a car or you will LITERALLY DIE.

They keep the speed limits low under the guise of "public safety", because it's a good election platform if someone ever brings it up. Argue in favour of raising limits, and you're seen as a heartless, reckless, cruel monster who wants people to die in brutal street races.

Not to mention the insane revenue that's generated from speeding tickets, and the probable cause it gives officers to effectively "fish". This means that someone doing 81kmh can be pulled over, detained, and possibly searched (fishing for other offences, which would otherwise have gone completely unknown if not for the evil offence of speeding).

"Fishing" is a cop's best friend, and it was once used to get bad people off the roads. Now it's used to target people for stupid shit like non-regulation licence plate covers and "too dark" window tint.

We are being reduced to fucking peasants here, forced to use "The Queen's Highways", and being subjected to retarded, draconian laws enforced by her lordly fucking henchmen. It's pathetic.
>>
>>14076867
>congress rammed through their energy saving bill
COMSPIRACY1111
>>
>>14076890
Maybe safety wouldn't be such a major issue if the hundreds of millions of oblivious burger fucks would finally learn how to drive properly. The biggest threat to safety on US roads aren't the roads or the cars or the weather, it's the drivers. If they made driving any easier in the US you'd pull your license out of a vending machine.
>>
File: 59234531.jpg (206 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
59234531.jpg
206 KB, 500x500
>>14076730

You know who speeds more than anyone? It's not boiracers, they're a minority on the roads. It's soccer moms in giant boxy SUVs/crossovers, and it's small-dicked manlets in full-size trucks. Those people speed more frequently, and more heavily, than anyone else on the roads. Easily more dangerous than any stupid boiracer in his crusty EG.
>>
>>14076890

>drivers are un-focused and distracted than ever before

This is why the old speed limits become fitting again.

Cars got so safe, making the drivers feel more and more disconnected from the outside.
Also, fucking texting and FB browsing.

Those are reasons that make crash counts go up again and therefore old and stupid speed limits more than relevant again.
People just become too stupid to drive.
>>
does anyone feel that theres too many deaths and injury accidents on the road in the US? i am perfectly comfortable with the current rate of crashes and i would be ok with a larger number in exchange for higher speed limits. same with gun violence honestly, we arent exactly dying off as a species because of it.
>>
You get ticketed here if you go below the speed limit if the conditions allow for driving at the speed limit.
>>
>>14076921

I'm Canadian, but we have the very same issue. We even introduced a "graduated" licensing program many years ago, in hopes of combating the ever-shittier driving. Basically, you have a learner's permit, after passing a written test, (G1) that lets you drive with another licensed driver. Then you get your G2 after 12 months (have to pass a practical road test). Then you get your full G after another 12 months (if you pass the FINAL road test).

All of this bureaucracy, and people are shittier drivers than ever before. It has done nothing to make roads safer. They tote that "accident fatalities" are down, and literally argue that it's a direct result of their licensing program. Has nothing to do with vehicle safety measures, as far as they're concerned.

There needs to be harsher penalties for shitty driving. Speeding isn't an issue if you are driving properly, they do 200kmh in Germany and people aren't creating 400-car pileups every day.

Get caught texting while driving? Lose your licence for 6 months. Get caught tailgating/passing on double lines? Lose your licence for 6 months. Get caught disobeying stop signs/traffic lights, 6 months.

You get the idea. Attached heavy monetary fines to these offences too, they're all too common and no one takes them seriously because they all get thrown out/reduced in traffic court. The old "Imma tryna make ma way sir, imma real sorry sir i neva do it again sir i swears it!"

Texting while driving should be a $1000 for a first offence, no exceptions. If they can't pay it at once, garnish their fucking wages. Punish the OFFENDER, not EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE ROAD.
>>
>>14076673

> Be PA
> Build Turnpike toll road
> No speed limit except for tunnels
> In 40's Set speed limit of 70
> Later lower speed limit to 55-65
> Create permanent construction zones with 45 limit
> Someone proposes to raise limit to 70
> Everyone freaks the fuck out
> MUH CHILLINS WILL DIE
> Only a small section gets new speed limit as "a test."
>>
>>14076978
>> Create permanent construction zones with 45 limit

As someone who drove down to Florida a while back, this perplexes me. I saw these retarded things everywhere, the speed limit was up and down like a motherfuckin toilet seat. Truly retarded.

As I said before, harsh, unwavering penalties for certain offences (distracted driving, running red lights, etc.) would absolutely cut down on shitty driving. People would NOT fuck around after they received their first 6 month suspension and $1500 fine.
>>
File: 1435253395297.png (79 KB, 457x472) Image search: [Google]
1435253395297.png
79 KB, 457x472
before the mid 90's, driving a car, especially shitboxes, kept you aware of what is happening with all that noise, manual steering, manual transmission, rattling, vibrations, thin insulation etc.

now even a cheap modern shitbox is quiet, has electric EVERYTHING, cruise control, you don't have to shift, you don't have to clutch, you don't have to parallel park on your own in some and in some others you don't even have to keep distance manually since it does that for you on the highway.

it's similar to the problem in air space:
years back, a pilot had to constantly do something to keep the plane in the air.
now they have to more or less just do some stuff at the start, monitor the flight and do some stuff before going down.

now if some emergency situation suddenly happens, they INSTANTLY have to know what is wrong and INSTANTLY have to do the right thing, or hundreds are fucked.
they still don't have a real solution for that problem beside extensive schooling but even that gets cut here and there due to cost cutting.

tl;dr getting the driver more and more disconnected from the driving process is a shit direction we're currently going.
>>
>>14076963
>You get ticketed here if you go below the speed limit if the conditions allow for driving at the speed limit.

If you had an able lawyer, he'd get you out of that ticket easily and fuck them for calling it "limit" when they actually meant "minimum speed"
>>
>>14077012
As much as I love driving you know eventually we won't be allowed to anymore
>>
>>14077035
yeah we all keep lawyers on retainer to get us out of 200 dollar tickets
>>
File: liberal1.jpg (2 MB, 1951x1188) Image search: [Google]
liberal1.jpg
2 MB, 1951x1188
>>14077012
>tl;dr getting the driver more and more disconnected from the driving process is a shit direction we're currently going.

All part of the self-driving car agenda. It will happen. Don't say it won't, it WILL happen. Soon it will no longer be an option, you won't even be ALLOWED to drive manually unless you're a politician or a cop.

Give up your freedoms anon, you don't really need them. You'll be safer without them.

It's for your own good.
>>
>>14077047
I still have hopes that this will be actively enforced in city areas first and a lot later everywhere else.
>>
File: 1446485712190.jpg (59 KB, 535x432) Image search: [Google]
1446485712190.jpg
59 KB, 535x432
>>14077035
>fuck them for calling it "limit" when they actually meant "minimum speed"

AH-AH-AH Anon, it's "technically" a speed LIMIT. It says MAXIMUM for a reason! Gotcha! Now hand over that money to the government.
>>
>>14077062
forgot to mention that I don't like to live/drive in city areas anyway.
>>
>>14077069
fuck the city. roads are shit, people are shit, traffic is shit, smells like shit
>>
File: 46880f68b.png (206 KB, 570x359) Image search: [Google]
46880f68b.png
206 KB, 570x359
>>14077062

They'll just ban cars all together in highly congested urban areas. They already have penalties in certain countries if you bring your car into the city, just look at that shithole Britain. You have to pay some stupid fucking amount every time you drive your car into London.

It won't even be a matter of "well we can still go where we want, when we want, we just can't drive ourselves". It will be "we have to follow a predestined public transportation schedule and arrange our lives around it, and we don't control any part of it."
>>
>>14077073
>>14077078
welp, time to become a goat farmer in the mountains, I guess.
fuck this damn noise.
>>
File: 1984_orwell.jpg (1 MB, 1408x2142) Image search: [Google]
1984_orwell.jpg
1 MB, 1408x2142
>>14077083

Sounds like a good enough plan, you might live to be 60-70 before things catch up.

They'll come for you eventually. You will assimilate, and you will contribute to the greater good. Or you will be in violation of the law, and go to prison.

Besides, Winston, you wouldn't know what to do with freedom even if we gave it to you.
>>
>>14077094
>implying it's not actually "brave new world" we're living in
>>
File: 1418767528235.png (102 KB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1418767528235.png
102 KB, 343x400
>>14077146
>>
File: fedora.jpg (16 KB, 221x225) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
16 KB, 221x225
>>14077146

Brave New World had a lot more freedom, everyone was allowed to fuck each other like crazy and they all had personal helicopters.

I see things going the more Orwelian tbqh. We'll have less freedom, a singular, acceptable dogma to adhere to (liberalism), and anyone who denies it will be relentless "schooled" until they accept it.

Huxley envisioned a sort of utopia where science had reached its pinnacle and we used it to make a "perfect" world. No one here wants a perfect world, just a lot of greedy shitbags who want to own and control everything.
>>
>>14076667
speed limits are bullshit and in the US theyre based on stopping distances of 3 ton landboats from way back when
>>
>>14076667
That gif is fake. Just realized it. The road side objects are different.
>>
File: bad-goyim.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
bad-goyim.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>14077174
>just a lot of greedy shitbags who want to own and control everything.
>>
85th percentile motherfucker. Learn it, live it or get the FUCK out of my fucking way.

I work in the traffic industry. Fuck you.
>>
>>14077198
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW
>GORILLA WARFARE
>CONFIRMED KILLS
>YOU'RE DEAD KIDDO
>>
>>14076923
I'll take a confident fukboi in a civic over those suvs and trucks you mentioned. You're stop on with that observation, I've lived in Phoenix and LA, where those two are prominent. Fucking hate people in lifted trucks, literally the most irresponsible people on the road.
>>
>>14077078
That's because London is an old city with a modern population, and because London has a really, really good public transportation system. There's no reason to drive.

I know logic probably flies right over your head though. Muh rights
>>
>>14077577
>driving isn't practical
>therefor it should be illegal

Good logic
>>
>>14077577

>country so congested with filthy minorities that you literally can't turn a car around

Holy fuck what a shithole.
>>
File: 1400202394718.jpg (150 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1400202394718.jpg
150 KB, 1024x683
>>14076702
>>14076803
>>14076673

Speed limit actually determines safe speed for both merging and turning in local conditions.

Which means a road is only 55 mph because one ramp ends with most cars unable to even reach 65 mph or so before lane completely merges. Or something like a speed posted before a turn is controlled safe speed for all automobile chassis with average driving skill. A sigh with a Truck underneath means speed only applies to trucks.

They are advisable speeds and to go beyond them during traffic hours is by the mercy of the LEO's or the (lack of) competence of other drivers.
>>
You cunts think you have it bad? Here, in australia, the paranoia about hoons is so bad it's affecting those of us who are not street racers.

Let's start off with this. Mercedes analysed our roads and proved that 140km/h on most roads would reduce our road toll.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/140kmh-safer-in-australia-safety-expert-20101011-16fer.html

The government then said "fuck off we know better" and ignored the world's foremost safety experts....despite their entire message being about safety.

They instruct the cops to target young drivers (which i don't really care about since i'm not targeted) but it's a fucking waste of resources. For every 1 they get, there's 3 more who are going to go do something AND they target the ones doing harmless shit while the ones doing genuinely dangerous shit slip past.

Drink drivers and people texting while driving (actually dangerous shit) get let off all the time by our judges, while "hoons" get the harshest penalties.

But the funny thing is, it's not actually hoons being busted. It's regular people. My car was impounded because i "lost traction" at the lights. Here's what actually fucking happened.

>My son is in hospital, i'm crying as i'm driving there
>Wet day, i rev a bit too much when i drop the clutch because i'm fucking emotional
>Do a little skid, completely unintentional

And the heartless fucking cop not only fines me, but instantly impounds my car and i have to catch a taxi to see my son. I have never gone to a single street race in my life, i'm not a fucking hoon.

But it's all about revenue for these cunts, they wait in bushes to ambush people going 3 km/h above and then fine them, they're too fucking inept to catch any real hoons, instead wasting huge amounts of taxpayer money on shit that looks good, while drunk drivers run rampant due to our booze culture.

They cry and cry and cry about how this is all for "our safety" yet they ignore the world's best safety experts saying to raise speed.
>>
Has everyone in this thread forgotten that SPEED KILLS?
>>
>>14076923
Oddly enough, people in hybrids speed a lot.
>>
>>14076964
>Guy I went to HS with was the shittiest, most unsafe driver I ever saw
>Would drive 180 km/h to get a pic of the speedometer at high speed, rip hektik skidz on the roads, thought getting tickets made him cool somehow
>Regularly got super expensive tickets for retarded shit
>Mfw he's just take every one to traffic court and win since cops have better things to do
Fuck that shit, you do not deserve to drive you asshat, and you deserve to pay every cent of these tickets and more
>>
>>14078400
>All evidence points to one thing
>I know better I'm doing something else!
Literally government in a nutshell. Speaking of Aus, that's exactly gun control there too
>>
>>14078661
They provably don't know how hybrid works, so they might think they're actually saving gas
>>
>>14078825
I've driven across the country three times now (not counting the times I've been a passenger when I was younger) and I can't count how many times I've been moving along 10 over or more only to have some Prius come flying up out of nowhere.
>>
>>14078400
Government; for the people by the people...amirite?
>>
>>14078581
Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop.
>>
>>14076667
>impedes the flow of traffic
>people overtake
>hurr durr its a speed LIMIT you faggots hurr.
>>
>>14078400
>driving while emotional
You should know that you shouldn't drive at all if there's anything that would affect your ability to drive safely, cunt.
>I committed manslaughter because I accidentally skid when I was blinded by my tears
>AND THOSE COPS HAD THE NERVE TO ARREST ME!?
>>
>>14076667
because reasons
>>
>>14076667
How come your dumb ass doesn't realize how speed limits are set knowing that people are going to drive above that speed and it's safe to do so in most situations.
>>
File: 1445491221232.png (80 KB, 191x201) Image search: [Google]
1445491221232.png
80 KB, 191x201
>>14080689
>implying the flow of traffic isn't determined by the first and slowest vehicle
>implying the speeding cars shouldn't be adjusting their speed to other vehicles
>shiggydiggy
>>
>>14076667
>meaning don't go faster than a certain speed but you're free to go slower (but above minimum speed)
Not quite how it works. It's the limit above which the cops are allowed to supplement their tax revenue from you.
>>
>>14076923
90% of the time I see an aggressive speeder fly past me its some fuck in a pickup truck.
>>
>>14077078
Urban Planner here.

I love driving, but auto traffic in major cities is like a cancer. Subways and other public rail systems are way more efficient and usually faster (if the city is Big enough). Look at L.A vs NYC.
>>
Ask someone who habitually does 25 miles over but doesn't text or dick around while driving anything.
>>
>>14081227
Guy who sells shit to your industry here.

Its a shame precious few of our cities were designed with ease of transportation in mind. And now trying to make sense of and sort out a clusterfuck means steady work I guess..
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06.png (110 KB, 330x270) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06.png
110 KB, 330x270
>live in the mexico of europe
>speed limit in city areas is 50km/h (~31mph)
>no one gives a fuck
>police can confiscate your driving license if you go above 100km/h (~62mph)
>police is camping mainly in sub-urban areas and country-side
>everybody goes around 70-90km/h (43-55mph) in the cities
>often some folks go even above 100km/h
>that good feel, when people that obey the law are actually considered retards and are honked at
>>
>>14078400
>Mercedes analysed our roads
Yeah, I bet they're impartial and totally don't want to increase their market share in Australia with this.
>>
>>14081270
Where do you live?
>>
>>14078853
That was me.
>>
>>14076667
I used to go the fast, now I go the slow. As long as you keep right its all fair. Don't block the road from people passing and your speed doesn't matter.
>>
File: mad umaru.png (156 KB, 451x387) Image search: [Google]
mad umaru.png
156 KB, 451x387
>be in NJ in 2007
>Governor gets in accident on Parkway doing 91mph
>Tries to make up for it by lowering speed limit from 65 to 55
>everyone rustled, with good reason

Anyways OP if your serious, please sell your car and stop driving
>>
>>14076667
youre the person that gets in a passing going +2mph around the car youre passing, so fuck you.
or
youre the person that follows just close enough to the person ahead of you that you can not be passed on a two lane road without needing to pass both you and the car ahead of you, so fuck you.
>>
am I the only person on Earth that can maintain my lane while using my phone? I cant be
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.