[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Engine throws rod >#1 Piston shattered >Subaru only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: Subaru_logo.svg_.png (237 KB, 1280x746) Image search: [Google]
Subaru_logo.svg_.png
237 KB, 1280x746
>Engine throws rod
>#1 Piston shattered
>Subaru only wants to pay 50%
>GR-STI

Wat Do?
>>
>>14071304
Is it under warranty?
>>
>>14071304
I love how common engine problems are in that generation and people still defend subaru.
>>
>>14071314
Yeah, but they are saying because of the tune, the car operated out of the manufactures parameters.

And I asked for a supervisor to escalate the case.

I think I'm going to have to call cobb on this one.
>>
>>14071371
If you had an aftermarket tune on the car, you are lucky to get them to pay 50%
>>
>>14071375
Really? Oh fuck man, I hope I didn't piss them off then.

Regardless I'm going to look at different cars. I know they are hard to find now but an AMG C63 would be ideal. I'm gonna give up on this AWD shit all together.
>>
>>14071385
most car companies will completely void the warranty if you make any sort of aftermarket modifications, ECU tune included
>>
>>14071409
There is no 'complete voiding of your warranty for aftermarket parts' thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

That being said if your after market part can be proven to have been at fault for causing the damage, the dealership can deny your warranty claim (really, they can do this for any reason), especially for something like a engine rod being thrown out due to a custom ECU tune.

If I were you I'd hope on some Subaru forums and find the Subaru rep who handles corporate customer service escalations, message them with your information or post a thread about your experience and hopefully they'll escalate the issue and help the dealership take care of you.
>>
Ask them if they will work with your parts.

pickout a new engine, will probably be cheaper than the rebuilt cost.

have them install it.
>>
File: B L A R G H.jpg (154 KB, 1257x555) Image search: [Google]
B L A R G H.jpg
154 KB, 1257x555
OP is a moron for not flashing back to stock before taking the car to dealer
>>
>>14071371
>but they are saying because of the tune, the car operated out of the manufactures parameters.
I'd tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>14071304
You're a fucking dumbass for modifying a car in that manner while its still under warranty.
>>14071721
You should have done this
>>
>>14071721
>>14071732
Even flashing the car back to stock, generally the engine is able to log the parameters of how it has been running, especially if it exceeds normal parameters.

Dealers can tell a car has been tuned regardless of the current tune the vehicle is currently running.
>>
>>14071721
>implying the ecu doesn't keep a detailed history of previously modified parameters
>>
>>14071751
>Implying it do
>>
>>14071748

>cucked by electronics again

Meanwhile my cast chebby block has 200k miles and runs like a dream.
>>
>>14071304
>Car was returned to stock

They have an ignition turnover clock counter

but I think I'm screwed fellas.

i'm going to post on NASIOC see if I can get some help there.
>>
>>14071385
What the fuck do you mean really? How are you this clueless, and aftermarket tune certainly voided your warranty. How did you fuckup so hard that they knew you had a tune, though?
>>
>>14071751
It doesn't, but it does keep track of the date / time the ECU was flashed. It'll be pretty obvious. Just bought a 2015 STI and confirmed this with techie at dealership.

If your engine takes a shit, they'll check the ECU log and see that it was switched and you'll be fucked. No, they won't know what parameters the aftermarket tyne was using.

OP, you're actually super lucky they're willing to go halfies.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_011435.jpg (2 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_011435.jpg
2 MB, 4320x2432
>>14071751
>>14071761
>>14071902
ECU does log changes, but that history can also be wiped with the proper scanner/tools. All tracks can be completely erased if you know what you are doing.

The J Series ECU programmer for the Maxisys system I have can completely erase/reset ECU history, and even allows you to manually edit history parameters
>>
>>14071721
>Image
What the fuck that's some kind of Mistu Outlander Spor-
>Image search
Fuck me. All modern cars DO look the same.
>>
>>14071751
subi tech here, its pretty simple to figure out if you reflashed back to stock, everytime you change a tune your ecm resets its counter for the number of times the ignition has been started. So if you got a car with 60k on it and its ecm shows only 50 times being start up, guess what that fucking means.
>>
>>14071385
Good choice of car.

Please don't ruin it with an aftermarket tune.
>>
>>14071993
This is exactly how they knew. I didn't have a choice.
>>
>>14071993

If you have a smart and experienced tuner they know this and will right down the number, but obviously only works with open source tunes. With the Cobb this will happen everytime though.
>>
If you do not take the 50% you are retarded, if anything it's going to get escalated and you won't get shit once someone even higher up finds out it was tuned.
>>
>WRX STI
>Reliable

Why do people still fucking buy these cars? How many have to implode in on themselves before we stop using the reputation of grandma's N/A Automatic Outback Wagon on a 300hp Boxer 4 cylinder that blows up as quick as a rotary from any kind of detonation if the stock factory tune doesn't make it spin a bearing or break a piston ringland first?

There's people blowing up these motors 2 even 3 times on bone stock factory cars under warranty. They're absolute shit. They're the reason why I shill for anything else on the market that isn't a STI. Seriously not even Mitsubishi Evos and VW Golfs can come close to the catastrophic engine issues these cars can get.
>>
File: pleasecall.jpg (20 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
pleasecall.jpg
20 KB, 500x313
>buying any post-GDB Subaru
>>
Lel my friend was the ultimate subie bro and then he bought an sti and now talks shit about them any chance he gets. Fucking ricers man.
>>
OP you are a serious dumb ass for not putting stock parts back on and then flashing back to stock ECU. C

Never talk to a Tech at dealership, they are all about the uhh...inside the manufacturer parameters. ECU doesn't keep a turnover counter on how it is flashed, the Cobb AP actually will snapshot the ECU and return it back to stock.

Not as likely as one would expect. Next level stupid if you don't put stock shit back on. Dumb ass.
>>
>>14071993
it will do that every time the battery is left out of the car too, so no that isn't definitive evidence.

>quality of subie techs
>>
ECU just resets sensors and everything back to stock.
>>
>>14071748
i wonder what they would have done if you installed a new ecu then told them about it
obviously it would be suspicious that it has no logs but i wonder what they could legally do in that situation
>>
>>14071970
Nice blanket statement you dumbass salesman.
>>
>>14071978
No, you're just a fucking moron
>>
>>14072482
I don't know why you morons lump Mitsubishi in with Subaru and VW.
>>
File: are_you_on_crack-12454.jpg (65 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
are_you_on_crack-12454.jpg
65 KB, 300x301
What kind of shit are you smoking. The maxisys ecu?
Borderline retarded you are.
>>
If OP doesn't take the 50% now and actually escalates the dispute he will get 0% lol
>>
>>14072482
>this

>friend buys 05 sti
>ringlands fucked at 80k kms
>$6k rebuild
>gets it back
>"hey anon whats that whining noise?"
>turbo rekt
>another $3k to get turbo rebuilt, leaky exhaust replaced and a tune
>>
Biggest problem is that the USDM motors are so honed out in the walls and so damn thing.

Paired with exhaust regulations. Motors are so weak and pathetic. Just breathing wrong and kaboom. JDM and outside of US no problemo.
>>
>>14071466
>There is no 'complete voiding of your warranty for aftermarket parts' thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

If you fucked with the ECU, they can and will completely void your warranty. You can try to fight them in court and cite that case study but they will bring up the fact that you modified the ECU. I'm talking in the context of this guy throwing a rod. If you tuned your car and your fucking suspension blows out, then that is something they can't brush off. Knowing Subaru, they will say that it wasn't manufacturer error and you abused your vehicle.

Good luck with your court case Anon. I know a lot of you try to pretend like you know what you're talking about but in the real world they will talk circles for 8 months until you give up or take them to court where they will have lawyers lined up around the block to destroy your asshole.

OP is lucky that they offered to take part of the bill.
>>
>>14072586
>What is the Lancer Evo

Mitsubishi is supposed to have shit-tier quality and reliability, but the Evo is somehow rock solid outside of bullshit cosmetic defects and AYC pumps (common issue since the Evo 4).

Same with the Golfs, the VW is supposed to nickle and dime you to death but I've never heard of the engine or transmission randomly taking a huge dump on you before the warranty is over. Maybe on the DSG cars, but to be fair a lot of them aren't well maintained with people treating them as a regular Auto/CVT with no fluid/filter changes.

Why the fuck do people still buy these cars with better competition on the market. I honestly think people just delude themselves into thinking they're reliable because 10 years ago you couldn't get a sporty AWD car without paying $50k+ for a 335xi/Audi S4
>>
>>14072654
>Mitsubishi is supposed to have shit-tier quality and reliability
Maybe if you believe internet memes.
>>
>>14071902
Subaru just started using modern tech in their ECU and it actually keeps a flash counter. The independent dealership likely doesn't have the ability to read it but if you bring your car in for something catastrophic like engine replacement they will send your ECU off to be analyzed where they will be able to see how many times it was flashed, the time and dates and I'm sure other shit I am not aware of. Either way, they will know you fucked with it and saying you pulled the battery won't work
>>
>>14072482
The stock tunes blow, the ots tunes blow, you get a custom tune by a good tuner.
>>
>>14072688
>it's just the stock tune bro!
wrx fanboys are literally delusional
>>
>>14072607
Buys car with shit tune, it blows up.

Shrapnel from blowup clogs banjo filter, oil starved turbo

Subies are shit guys, I'm totally not an idiot.
>>
Depends on the year and the motor. Comes down to the driver also. Shit even bad luck.
>>
>>14072696
Talk to any professional subaru tuner they will all tell you the stock tune sucks.

You can Google that shit right now.
>>
>>14072696
http://www.vikingspeedshop.com/how-to-avoid-blown-ringlands-in-your-subaru-wrx-or-sti/
>>
File: 1449375928511.jpg (85 KB, 689x568) Image search: [Google]
1449375928511.jpg
85 KB, 689x568
>>14071304
>>14071732
>you're a fucking dumbass for modifying a car in that manner while its still under warranty.

This. OP is a literal retarded manchild. If you want to fuck with your car, buy something inexpensive with no warranty.
>>
>>14072698
>stock engine with stock tune
>engine blows up
>get aftermarket tune on stock engine
>engine blows up

Why are these cars so terrible
>>
>Having to drive your brand new car right off the lot and straight to a professional dyno tuner just so it won't blow up

Subaru Quality™
>>
>>14072567
but it's true, any competent tuner could flip an ECU back to stock and erase all evidence the car was ever remapped
>>
>>14072696
The stock tune sucks and runs dangerously lean at WOT which causes lots of knock and eventually ringland failure.

Stock tunes on any performance car are tame as fuck, anyway. It's just that Subaru's is actually dangerous to the vehicle. It's all about emissions, they get more tax rebates from emissions regulations than they spend warrantying engines. They try really, really fucking hard to not honor warranties, too. Subaru is fucking awful when it comes to warranties if you have a wrx or sti.
>>
>>14072698
Was on factory tune aswell kek.
>>
>>14071351

I've got a lightly modified gc8 that's got 310,000kms on it... Never had any issue other then maintenance and wear and tear items. My previous car was an rs liberty that was also solid as fuck. Old subarus are bullet proof if looked after properly.
>>
>>14072589
shopfag here. the maxisys systems come with an ECU reprogrammer, what crack are you smoking?
>>
>>14072724
Make any engine knock enough and it will blow up.
>>
>>14071371
>tuned car
>engine blows up
>wheres my warranty??
I fucking see this shit all the time as a mechanic. Motherfuckers who dont service there new cars for 40000 and when the engine shits itself ask for a warranty. Or when they tune them beyond the factory settings and ask for warranty. You're lucky to be getting any assistance at all. Probably the only reason you're getting 50% is bcause Subaru cant physically prove it was caused by the tune, but at the same time cant say the tune wasnt the cause.
>>
I stand corrected. My focus was on ecutech, cobb and opensource. Not the maxisys.
>>
>>14072758
autel maxisys is the most common tool a shop in my area would have on hand, and as pointed out above you could use it to complete erase any evidence the car was tuned

Even if Subbie has the PCM nuke the ignition counter, you can just manually set a number that would look right and keep right on going
>>
>>14072767
Remind me of I win the lottery to buy one and sell my services.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.