[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many miles can a car run on the battery, without the alternator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
How many miles can a car run on the battery, without the alternator? The harmonic balancer broke on my car but the car still starts up and doesn't overheat because the water pump runs separately with the timing belt, and I want to drive it up to the mechanic who is 10 miles away. Would it make it that far?
>>
>>14070807
Nice turbo.
>>
Depends on the car and the battery but you should be able to get it to the garage.
>>
>>14070807
mine managed to run for 25km, u should be fine. Dont turn on the radio, the headlights or anything else that may drain the battery
>>
10 miles isnt an issue
>>
Bullshit my recharge fuse for alternator went out and I made it a 1/5 mile
>>
Drove a van about 45km without an alternator, mostly highway with everything off.
>>
>>14070807
How many stoplights are in between you and the shop?
>>
File: worry.jpg (166 KB, 1224x918) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
166 KB, 1224x918
>>14070807
My alternator died 100 miles into a 420 mile 7 hour road trip.
almost made it. almost, died 12 miles from my destination. friend came with a spare battery for me.

drafted the entire way there, got 45mpg since I had no load on the engine.

10 miles is fine. manual? push start if you can. engine brake. hitting the brakes, brake lights can draw enough to kill your engine, so avoid that as much as you can.
>>
It doesn't last long, you better charge the battery fully before you leave

But 10miles? good chance you would make it, just no electricals at all
>>
>>14071592
A fully charged battery lasted me 1 1 and 45 minutes or so in my 68 Lincoln, with my lights on for half of that.

Maybe you just suck
>>
>>14071958
1 hour and 45 minutes*
>>
>>14071958
Is a car that only use the alternator for a radio and lights that doesnt mean shit you fucking idiot
>>
>>14071977
And the ignition system and blower motor, you daft m8?
>>
>>14071659
>push start
You didn't think you're meme through. If the battery is enough, you wouldn't need to roll start.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.