[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book a good start for absolute beginners?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: auto_repair_for_dummies.jpg (40 KB, 395x500) Image search: [Google]
auto_repair_for_dummies.jpg
40 KB, 395x500
Is this book a good start for absolute beginners?
>>
Probably if you know nothing.
You should get the service manual for your car though as well.
>>
Get a repair manual specifically for the vehicle you own at the moment.
You'll get step-by-step instructions with info on all the tools you need.
By doing stuff to that car you learn more about how to work on other cars, too.
>>
If all you are interested in is maintenance then it's probably fine, although that information is probably available freely on the internet.

If you're interested in actually working on stuff and fixing stuff then you want to just go straight to the service manual for your car (600+ pages)
>>
get a Haynes manual for your car.
>>
>>14063758
No. Get a factory service manual. Never bother with Hayne's garbage.
>>
>have a manual for my car
>everything's in German because car's made in Germany
>judging by the pics it says nothing about repairing or maintaining the engine
>>
File: 1447630941210.jpg (54 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
1447630941210.jpg
54 KB, 640x495
>>14063782
>hurr buy a used hundred dollar book its much better than the used $5 one.
>>
File: safety-first-lol.gif (1 MB, 325x214) Image search: [Google]
safety-first-lol.gif
1 MB, 325x214
>car repair book
>by a female "auto expert"

thanks op, I had a good laugh
>>
>>14063211
If you have a popular car, just YouTube the repairs. Seriously. Unless you're doing fabrication, mechanical systems arent overly complex and nowadays you can just plug in your car to a diagnostics system.
>>
>>14063211
I have it. It's alright for very basic shit, advice on what to store in a car, and the mechanics of a car. She is alright at explaining the purpose of several things. She falls apart however when she starts making out everything that isn't an oil change to be a monumental task, and constantly says, "This is too complicated to touch. Stop trying to learn, and take it to a trained proffesional"
>>
>>14067526
that's shit
you learn by doing
lazy writer obviously
>>
File: automotive_technology.jpg (66 KB, 507x669) Image search: [Google]
automotive_technology.jpg
66 KB, 507x669
Just torrented this.

How'd I do, /o/tists?

I've been wrenching on my own shitbox for a while. I'm just looking to learn some new little tidbits of info.
>>
>>14068000
I have the third edition from Auto. It's complete but doesn't delve into tuning for more power, just theory of a system and issues that are usually encountered. It is what I call an automotive "bible" in the fact it has nearly everything you need to know. Fr performance mods, look at specific performance guides.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.