[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically how much does it shorten an engine's life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: gottagofast.png (19 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
gottagofast.png
19 KB, 870x870
Realistically how much does it shorten an engine's life to occasionally rev it high and go WOT to accelerate?

My 15-year-old camry has over 260k miles on it and I rev it almost to the red area fairly frequently. Am I gonna blow it up?
>>
>>14057648
Yep first top end compression will let go (valve steam seals) then bottom end compression will etl go (piston rings + gaskits)
>>
>>14057716
why can you never fucking enjoy anything in this life
>>
>>14057716
I CHANGE MY GASKITS EVERY OTHER MONTH
>>
>>14057807
Time to end it. I mean if you can't redline your 260k mile economicly minded box shaped car then what's the point?
>>
>>14057716
I just use gas cans not gas kits and haven't had any issues
>>
>>14057838
>box shaped
No. Mine has the rounded body style.
>>
>>14057648
it improves life actually.

you should do it once per drive.
>>
If you have a dorito engine it actually helps. You should redline your engine at least once when you drive them
>>
not really
if you keep under the Redline ur fine.
it will shorten the lifespan, but it's not gonna blow just because you did WOT
>>
>>14057648
>Driving in the middle of nowhere
>car has a button that enables/disables economy mode
>two lights on the dash 'econ' and 'power'
>turns of economy mode, econ light goes out
>'power' light doesn't come on
>decides I want to open it up
>presses foot down
>brief few seconds for the car to shift down a gear in the auto gearbox
>burst of power, power light comes on, the roar of my shitty rusted exhaust intensifies
>goes close to redline, then shifts up
>30 seconds of my foot down, only went from 100kmh to 120kmh
>>
>>14057807
Because if you are red lining, you don't have enough power anyway.
>>
>>14057648
Toyotas dont blow up.
>>
>>14059123
And if you do its a corvette that catches fire anyway
>>
>>14058361
>car has no buttons. It just does its thing
>just turned onto my road and am going uphill
>rolling on the throttle. Revs steadily climbing from 2k because the car stayed in second
>get to 4k. Just now coming into power band.
>car shifts from second to first. 4k rpm to around 5.6k rp
>half a second later it's at 6k rpm (red starts at 6200) and shifts back up into second gear
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.