[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /o/, first time lurker and poster here. I turned 18 recently,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Volvo480_TwoTone.jpg (319 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Volvo480_TwoTone.jpg
319 KB, 1024x768
Hi /o/, first time lurker and poster here.
I turned 18 recently, and I can finally get my license (I live in yurop, Italy to be exact), and I really want to get myself a car.
My mother wants to give me her 2007 Yaris, but I know she might need it when I'm far away from home and decided to look for my own car.
A few months ago I saw a cool ass car, and after some research, I found out it's a Volvo 480 Turbo.
Looked up on some used cars websites and I can get one for 1400 yuros, less than my laptop.
Is it a good car?
>>
No idea but I think they're neat.
>>
yes OP theyre future classics and its a volvo so you know it wont break. good opportunity to learn how to take care of a basic turbo engine too
>>
That's fucking sweet why didn't US get them
>>
File: 1276671068935.jpg (23 KB, 394x386) Image search: [Google]
1276671068935.jpg
23 KB, 394x386
>>14055155
This. They were sold in America, but I've NEVER seen one. I think they're neat looking.

>>14055223
According to wikipedia, it was sold in Amerifat from 1987 through 1995.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_480
>>
The engine is the Renault-sourced 1.7, which is pretty reliable. The turbo life expectancy might be a little shorter than expected (150000km or so), but otherwise is built like a tank.
Other than that, check for electrical faults, rust on the rear arches, but especially the sealing of the rear window/boot, tends to leak after a while.
>>
>Front wheel drive
Boner fucking killed.
>>
>>14055149
They leak
Get electrical problems all the time
Arent as good as you think

There are better cars to get
>>
>>14055230
Interestingly, the 480 was designed to be sold in the United States and it was equipped with DoT-mandated five-mph bumpers and side marker lights. The unfavorable currency exchange rate between the U.S. and Sweden caused Volvo to cancel its trans-Atlantic export plans at the last minute and focus exclusively on the European market.

Saw one on bring a trailer once
>>
File: volvo 480.jpg (280 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
volvo 480.jpg
280 KB, 1024x768
>>14055217
The 480s are notoriously badly built by DAF. Possibly the least reliable Volvo ever. However, they are surely future classics and the Renault f-series engines are reliable. A turbo 1.7 is reasonably quick as the 480 is rather light. The suspension is designed by Lotus, so they also handle really well. Personally I wouldn't buy a early model with the turbo engine, but rather a very late 480 SE, with colour coded bumpers, leather interior and n/a 2-liter Renault f-series. They are seriously cool cars and the build quality peaked during the last production year.
>>
>>14055149
My local mechanic owned one for quite some time, but he eventually got rid of it because sourcing parts for it became almost impossible. The straw that broke the camel's back was when the dashboard began to crack (apparently a common issue) and a new or refurbished one was nowhere to be found.

Killer looking car tho.
>>
>>14055149
I found some in sweden
http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q=volvo+480&cg=1020&w=3&st=s&ps=&pe=&mys=1986&mye=1995&ms=&me=&cxpf=&cxpt=&c=&fu=&gb=&ca=15&is=1&l=0&md=th&cp=
>>
>>14055300
>yurop
>starter car
>expecting rwd
>>
>>14055688
Smart Fortwo
BMW E36 316i
MB W202 C180

These are pretty much the only options.
>>
>>14055702
>BMW E36 316i
>MB W202 C180
kek, shows how much you know
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.