[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to lube shop to get oil change >ask for trans fluid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1330937675397.jpg (13 KB, 273x240) Image search: [Google]
1330937675397.jpg
13 KB, 273x240
>go to lube shop to get oil change
>ask for trans fluid service as well
>they say they can't on cars over 200,000 miles

They're just making excuses, right?
>>
>not doing a 5 minute job yourself
>>
>>14053321
They're just sick and tired of getting blamed for peoples trannies failing that were about to pop anyway.

Do it yourself.
>>
Maybe its their policy but ofc its not impossible

Why would you even ask that here? (Thats a rhetorical question)
>>
>>14053321
Was it opposite day? They usually push that shit on people without you even having to ask.

Anyway, just do it yourself.
>>
>>14053321
Eh no not exactly. Sometimes old cars need old trans fluid to run properly. Metal shaving can actually help the gears from slipping or failing.
If you've ever heard someone say if it ain't broke don't fix it, this would be a perfect example.
>>
>>14053321
If you asked for a pressurized flush, and not just a filter change and fill, it's because they're smart. Those flushes can blow the remaining friction material off an already worn transmission, causing transmission failure, and you'd accuse them of fucking up your car. They don't want to spend $5000 putting a Jasper transmission into your thirty year old shitbox, so they just say no.

If all you wanted was a filter replacement and a top off, they're faggots.
>>
>>14053321
If auto, DO NOT CHANGE IT if it's that high mileage. You lose all the clutch pack material and that's why it start to slip, then you will blame them. At my auto shop we won't touch old trannies, too much headache when the piece of shit finally starts to go and you blame us.
>>
>>14053323
>>14053326
>>14053338
No really.

I was being lazy today.

>>14053346
What if I have no idea when the radiator was replaced and I felt like replacing it so that I won't have to deal with being on the side of the road one day?
>>
>>14053321
I worked at valvoline back in '01, I changed the oil on a Town Car with over 300k on it at the time.
>>
some people claim that unless the fluid has been changed very regularly (ie every 25-30K miles) an old transmission can develop problem when doing a flush because debris is loosened up and fucks shit up.
This is crap however, you can flush your fluid whenever you want even if its never been done before. Just clean it well.
flushed my trans after 170K miles, found gore in the pan. Cleaned everything well. Installed inline magnet filter. Nothing bad happened
>>
>>14053371
>my situation is everyones
It is 100% FACT that losing clutch pack material CAN CAUSE transmission to slip on old cars. It doesn't mean 100% of the cars that get flushed will slip. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>14053359
>>14053383
Car's an automatic.
>>
>>14053383
If the clutch material is floating around in the fluid, it's not doing anything to help the car. You are correct that losing the material will cause slipping, but that's only if it was attached to the clutch disks. As I stated here >>14053357, that's what happens under pressurized flushes. Draining the pan and changing the filter won't do that.
>>
>>14053367
Is the radiator rusted? If not i wouldn't trip.
Water pump is more important anyway, change that shit when you do your timing belt.
>>
>>14053359
This is an old wives tale, which gets repeated and strengthened every time someone's 300,000 mile tranny blows up 1000 miles after a fluid flush, and the owner says "it's because I changed the fluid! It would have run forever if I didn't!"

Which is the same reason shops sometimes refuse to work on high-mileage trannies. they don't want to be the last one to touch it before it dies, because the owner will come back and blame them.

No shops do pressurized flushes anyway. Every transmission "flush" I've ever seen has used only the pressure put out by the transmission's own fluid pump.

You're not going to flush out clutch pack material. Any clutch material that was loose enough to be disturbed by a flush or fluid change would have already fallen off in normal operation and ended up in the tranny filter.
>>
>>14053410
Did that last year at 230,000 miles.

Currently at 288,000 miles.
>>
>>14053383
Yeah no shit. However because it can happen does not mean it will. Draining old fluid and filling with new fluid will not remove shit from your clutch pack.

You can drain the fluid and put in new fluid without causing a problem. But you know everything and i dont know anything
>>
>go to get a new windshield in my car
>girl can't work manual transmission
>800hp rated clutch is too heavy for her to push down
>gets a guy coworker to put it in the shop
>floods the carb despite it already being warm and keeps trying to turn it over
>I just end up driving it into the shop even though it's against policy

REEEEEEEEE

They did a great job on the windshield though and gave me a couple bucks off.
>>
>>14053441
>I just end up driving it into the shop even though it's against policy
Yeah I get forced into doing that a lot too, but not because the clutch is too heavy or anything, it's mainly because the car is too low for a sedan and it's tricky if you arent used to it

no im not a stancefag
>>
>>14053326
This.

Anyone who drives a car that old and doesn't change their own oil is not only poor but stupid. Not worth $50 on the gamble they are only a lazy cheapskate.
>>
>>14053441
Why would you willingly let a woman drive your car? Why do you have a clutch rated at 800HP on a car that has 120HP? Why are you driving a car with a carb?
>>
>>14053469
so many edges. you must be really cool
>>
>>14053477
It's not edgy, most women can't drive a stick shift, it's just a fact (I assumed he is murican). The rest is just based on the fact that most guys here don't have cars with any actual power, though they do exist.
>>
>>14053469
What do you have against carburetors?
>>
>>14053481
>It's not edgy, most women can't drive a stick shift, it's just a fact
I know a lot of women that can drive manual and have seen women in manual only cars(ex: '03 Cobra)
>>
>>14053469
My local emissions joint has a 300lb woman who is the only one there that will drive manuals.
So I'm sort of forced to let one drive my cars.
And no, you can't really bribe them for a pass with no test.
The data is sent to the state goverment, you need a real test, or a stand in car for the test.
>>
>>14053469
>Why would you willingly let a woman drive your car?
Because I'm not an neckbeard woman hater.
>Why do you have a clutch rated at 800HP on a car that has 120HP?
Car is run with a 400hp rocket 454ci engine. It's a bit heavier then it needs to be but it's a personal preference.
>Why are you driving a car with a carb?
Because it's a classic you pleb.
>>
>>14053485
They're dated. Much better tech is available. I was meme-ing about how it's not some badass drag car, but rather something like a 74 civic, so getting a later model would be a much better idea. I don't have anything against them, I actually have an SN95 roller that I plan on putting a carbed windsor into.

>>14053488
Just because the women you know are interested in being decent human beans, doesn't mean that most are. You're just lucky.

>>14053501
>a 300lb

Sounds hot.
>>
>>14053508
Post car, you know the bread deal.
>>
>>14053501
Showers must be really awkward with her
>>
File: ragstick.jpg (36 KB, 736x546) Image search: [Google]
ragstick.jpg
36 KB, 736x546
>>14053525
>implying someone that big showers
>>
Ddd
>>
>>14053508
>Because I'm not an neckbeard woman hater.

>facing facts and reality = neckbearded misogyny
#feelthebern
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.