[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shitty cobalt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: cobalt.jpg (110 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cobalt.jpg
110 KB, 1000x1000
So im driving down the road with an 07 cobalt sedan when suddenly i lose the engine and stall out, had it for about a month. i pull to the side of the road and try to start it, it turns but wont turn on. After an hour or so, i try again and it turns on, im able to make it about a mile before it stalls again. Eventually i get it to my garage and begin trying to figure it out. Im able to get lights so i dont think its the battery, just it case it was hooked to a charger for several hours. i was able to get two misfire codes but i got 50-60 on fuel pressure, i then replace both cam sensor and the accelerating pedal sensor thinking it might be the problem because i dont think they would throw up a code, also put in new plugs and cleaned up the throttle body, could it be that throttle position sensor? i did other shit but nothing seems to work

Anywho TL;DR OP's car is fucked and suggestions will lead to rewards in the afterlife
>>
>>14052423
Take it to a mechanic and have them scan it and do a proper diagnosis. The sensors for the Cams are common but you could even have a shitty one out of the box and not know it unless you graph it on a scan tool. You shouldn't clean the throttle body of an electronic controlled throttle because it fucks the sensor up.
>>
>>14052478
Mmmmm even if there was some buildup? but thanks thats a start
>>
Ignition switch been done?
>>
>>14053106
I was thinking maybe, but I heard there was a recall on the ignition by GM, so I called Chevy and gave the VIN, it had been redone with they did the recall
>>
Historical misfire codes coupled with no fire.
From what you're describing it sounds like the cam or crank sensor. And marginal cam/crank sensors will sometimes work when cold and not when hot - hence the stall... then run after sitting... then stall again when the engine warms. Since you already swapped the cam sensor, I would go ahead and do the crank sensor.

A failed TPS will not cause a car to completely die or fail to start, it will just make it run crappy. Ditto for low (but non-zero) fuel pressure.

>>14053106
If it was the switch recall, it would have started back up again no problem. The switch issue is just that it turns too easy and can bump to off accidentally.
>>
>>14052478
>You shouldn't clean the throttle body of an electronic controlled throttle because it fucks the sensor up

This.

This is 100% bullshit. You must work for GM. They don't want you to clean it so they can sell you a whole fucking TB for $300. 9 out of 10 times they will tell you it's the TB and just to throw it out, but if you just cleaned it it'd clear up the problem. That is, if you're having an issue that is caused by something in the TB, not for all driveability issues.
>>
>>14052423
>Bought shitty American vehicle
>broke down
And what did you learn?
>>
File: 1314151609143.gif (6 KB, 446x361) Image search: [Google]
1314151609143.gif
6 KB, 446x361
>>14053499
>>
>>14053499
I learned to try and fix my problems, so that's something but I will try the crank sensor next any other thoughts. I appreciate the advice
>>
>>14053226
You bring up some good points, I will get a crank sensor and give it a shot
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 401x372
>>14053226
Well I replaced the crank shaft sensor.....no dice. Could it be the throttle body? From what I hear there are plastic Pistons in there could break? I'm almost about to cave and go crawling to GM
>>
Check the fuses. In my shitty Cobalt one of the fuses blew that made the car run extremely shitty. I think it was the emissions control fuse or something like that. It would run but misfire hard. It would stall out on idle, but would turn on again and run but misfire. The fuse would blow because the O2 sensor would short out on the exhaust.
>>
>>14057547
Check the fuses, everything seems fine as does the auto relays from what I can see. I'm completely lost
>>
File: 1439185201171.jpg (67 KB, 1135x640) Image search: [Google]
1439185201171.jpg
67 KB, 1135x640
>>14053499
I own a 2008 Cobalt LT with 130,000 miles that's now my kid's car, had only one problem besides the mandatory recall, a pipe on the outside of the transmission broke loose, had warning and was able to fix it for free. Obviously did plugs and chain at 100k miles but that's basic maintenence you'd have to do on any import car too. My wife owned a 2005 V6 Chevy Malibu with 160,000 miles which we just traded for a used 2012 V6 Malibu with 22,000 miles ($13k w/fancy package in March 2015). No problem with that old Malibu ever. In January of this year I bought a 2010 Cobalt 1LT with 5,600 miles (had been stolen and held as evidence so low miles) for $9,999. I paid cash for a car that I like better than a Cruze that cost twice as much. Shit for resale value that's for sure but when maintained properly they'll go just as far as Jap or Kraut cars, and they cost less than half as much. Plus more of the money from American cars stays in the United States to more easily trickle down back into my regional economy. Value and use for purchase price of my Cobalts have been phenomenal in my case.
>>
>>14053499
It would have been worse if he bought European.
>>
>>14057451
It's DBW, the throttle itself might not be opening, also it could be not allowing enough air through at idle since the IAC is built into it too.
>>
>>14063163
Interesting
>>
i bet on (exhaust gas) oxygen sensor
>>
Had an 07 saturn ion, which is the red headed step child to the cobalt. Had similar issues, turns out the fuel pump went bad. May need to check that out as well as the wiring to it.
>>
>>14053315
I think what he meant was you can't move it by hand, if you have someone step on the pedal to open it you'll be fine but you can't just press it open like conventional throttle bodies. There is a sensor and it will fuck it up since its fly by wire and could throw it off making it think throttle is closed at half throttle.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.