[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Craigslist scams. How do they work? I put my car on CL to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Cars - 1328049251675.jpg (681 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cars - 1328049251675.jpg
681 KB, 1920x1200
Craigslist scams. How do they work?

I put my car on CL to get sold and have only received texts from people "who need another person to take a look at the car for them and they will send a payment" or from calling companies that claim they can list it and get it sold at a higher asking price for "free."

How do these scams work? How do they get away with it? I don't understand how I would be able to transfer a title and get robbed by that. Can someone explain?

>pic unrelated
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 589x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 589x450
>>14051110
Not sure but I found this gem today
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5361676474.html
Got a few laughs from it
>>
>>14051110
is dat sum ebisu
>>
>>14051168
Not sure, I got it from a random post a while ago.
>>
>>14051168
>>14051550
I just did a google search on it and it is Ebisu Minami Course.
>>
>how do craigslist scams work
Same as every other scam, ignorance, stupidity, or both.
>>
>>14051566
Right, but how do they get away with it? I mean if you title transfer, they'd have to give personal info over. Phone records, etc. are available from all the texts. How do they get away with it? That is what I'm not understanding. It is easy to see the scam coming, I just don't see how they get away with it if someone does fall for it.
>>
>>14051633
>be scammer, fake name and burner phone
>meet retard selling car
>write bad check for faux bank acccount
>drive home with new car
>retard seller deposits check, which bounces
>scammer is moved on to new city
>scammer sells car for heroin, rinse and repeat.

Pretty straightforward, you are pretending to understand scams but still asking how do they work, how much money were you scammed for?
>>
>>14051729
I grew up in a police house, so I know this doesn't work. That is why I am confused as to why they try.
>>
>>14051761
I'm pretty sure the title is never transferred.
They'll just try and get you to let them test drive the car alone without handing you valid ID, and then they never come back.
>>
>>14051761
>This doesn't work
Are you actually implying that the FBI catches every person who commits fraud?
>>
>>14051633

You don't transfer the title though. You just get the owner to sign it and leave it at that. Then you have the vehicle and the technically legal owner's signature on the ownership.

Then you just pawn it off to some other idiot for next to nothing as soon as possible before your check bounces and it gets flagged as stolen or something. Using fake names and burner phones, different for each person, and there's no trail to you.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.