[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it cheaper to maintain your own car instead of having an independent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Is it cheaper to maintain your own car instead of having an independent mechanic do it for you? It's obviously cheaper monetarily, but is the time investment worth the money saved?
>>
Regular maintenance takes minutes. So yes.
>>
>>14046580
If you know what you're doing, i.e. you're a mechanic, then yes.

If you know a little bit but have to watch YT videos and read blog post tutorials, you can save some money doing small things like oil changes, hose changes, and so on, but for big stuff like rebuilding engines or trannies, I'd say that you should take it to a shop where the job will (most of the time) be done right.
>>
>>14046604
Where would control arms fall on that spectrum?
>>
>>14046774
>>14046774
Definitely do it yourself

My mom had a flat tire, and when I was taking the wheel off, a stud broke. Now that to me is something that is worth farming out, paid a mechanic $25 in exchange for no whacky whacky headache on my part.
>>
File: 1960s_batmobile_fmc.jpg.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1960s_batmobile_fmc.jpg.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2000
>>14046819
Thanks, I'll take a crack at it.
>>
>>14046604
This. Only go to a mechanic for big shit that's out of your league.

Otherwise, get some mates to help.
>>
Go to a mechanic when the tool and the equipment you need to buy are like more than the work or if you know you will fuck it up.
>>
A question about oil change. How do you guys dispose of old oil and filters?
>>
>>14048661
Most auto parts stores will dispose of old oil for free.
>>
>>14048661
I usually do an pil enema so that i can be closer to being more machine than man.
>>
>>14046580
i don't know anon
but here's another early mach.1
>>
>>14048643
"how hard can it be?"

Famous last words
>>
>>14046580
It's worth it to me but I was a technician so my investment on tools was already paid. Until you get into engine internals, differentials, and transmissions you can do it at home fairly simply. Suspensions are almost always DIY then farm out an alignment. Most engine gaskets (head, intake, exhaust, oil pan) can be done at home as well except for in certain cases where a lift would save hours of time.
>>
>>14046774
Diy but schedule an alignment appointment first. Also do both sides and new upper ball joints if it doesn't have strut suspension.
>>
>>14050039
My patient is a 2008 A4 B7, the ball joints are part of the control arms and are actually the component that failed on all four wheels.

Wouldn't I want to get an alignment after the control arm replacements?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.