[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the cheapest way to get you car painted in a different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: jeb-bush-logo-hed-2015.jpg (119 KB, 652x367) Image search: [Google]
jeb-bush-logo-hed-2015.jpg
119 KB, 652x367
What's the cheapest way to get you car painted in a different color? With some level of quality.
>>
If you have lots of time, see if your local high school has a shop class, or more likely, a Vo-Tech school.

You only pay for materials, labor is part of the classes.

The downside: A bunch of high school kids messing with yoru car.
>>
>>14046463
Airspray plastidip.
>>
cover it with vinyl
>>
>>14046463
Do it yourself with either a wrap, respray, or plastidip. Even shitty paint jobs done by someone else are typically expensive. If you're that unconfident in your abilities than take it to someone, but it's immeasurably cheaper to do it on your own.
>>
>>14046463
don't
>>
>>14046537

THIS

Find a color of plasti-dip you like. It will look immensely better and be sever order of magnitudes cheaper than trying to spray it yourself.

You could get a macco special but it really isn't worth it, I've seen them do some terrible work.

If you can deal with people giving you shit for plasti-dip I'd go for it, I used it on my old car that had lots of peeling clear coat and had gone through some idiots giving it a rattle can job.

As long as you pick a reasonable color it can look pretty decent.
>>
>>14046537
>>14046831

what about chips and small cracks and not along the bumper?

newfag here sorry
>>
Only relevant thread,

How much would it approximately cost to plastidip my rims black?? I have an orange car with a black racing stripe and I think the orange rims would look great.

I'm not sure I trust myself enough to do it myself, I don't want it peeling or anything.
>>
>>14047102
Or, essentially, pretty much whatever I have to do to get the rims black. I've heard powder coating is durable.
>>
>>14046779
>>
>>14046463
Did anyone else read that in Jebs voice
>>
>>14047999
checked
>>
>>14046463
Buy the same car but in the color you want.

That or plastidip.
>>
>>14046831
>>14048205
Not OP but can you plastidip any kind of car?
I drive a 1992 ford ranger.
Wouldn't do the interior of the bed of course
>>
>>14048216
Plastidip works on pretty much anything, yes. http://dipyourcar.com has some good deals occasionally, I'd sign up for their email list and wait for one. They had a 21% off deal not too long ago. That's also the only place you can get other colors besides black, white, grey, red, and glossifier, which are all that places like walmart or home depot carry. Wash the truck very well with the two bucket method and car-specific soap first. Don't wax it right before though, it'll make it harder for the dip to stick and it'll come out shitty. If you peel it off later make sure to wax it though as the dip will strip any leftover wax.
>>
File: IMG_20151209_124559602.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151209_124559602.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
I'm in the process of repainting my car atm. Pic related shows visual difference between plastidip (on trunk) and regular rustoleum (on quarter panel. I haven't driven very far with the rustoleum on there (50mi) but it seems to be holding well.
>>
>>14048941

Wouldn't plasti dip be cheaper/stronger to fix than just regular rustoleum?
>>
>>14047102
If it peels then simply redo it plasticity only lasts a season or two anyways, and two cans should be enough for four wheels
>>
>>14047102
I generally go with 1 can per rim just to be safe so $40.
>>
Why is plastic paint cheaper than regular?
>>
>>14049290
Rustoleum goes on much easier and is about 1/4 the price where I live (Indiana). This car is a beater so I'm experimenting with paint. I'll know sooner or later how durable it is.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (101 KB, 629x471) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
101 KB, 629x471
Painting a car is 90% prep work.
Actually painting part takes about 20 minutes each coat.

If you are changing color you literally need to remove every piece of trim off the car.
This is where all the money goes. Lots of places will mask shit off. Honestly that's not enough. Remove everything you can, or deal with over spray.

My car needs a repaint, and I have a friend who does painting for a living, but he will only bondo, and paint. I need to spend half a week stripping the car and prepping it for paint. fuck that
>>
the paint jew racket is literally worse than the holocaust
>>
File: bad respray.jpg (32 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
bad respray.jpg
32 KB, 448x336
>>14050560
This. I can't under-state the importance of prep myself.

Also, if you've never done this kind of thing before, consider picking up a door or something at a junkyard to practice on before you fuck your shit up. Finally, consider the issue of clear-coat, will you want to add a layer of clear afterwards or not? It's probably a good idea.

Oh, and most pro places will charge a hell of a lot less if you do all of the prep work yourself. That might be an option if you're not 100% confident.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.