[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 20
File: spin_prod_822636412 (1).jpg (12 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_822636412 (1).jpg
12 KB, 416x416
So I'm in the market for my first car, gonna be some beater piece of trash w/e not the important part for now. Right now I need some advice on tools. My parents said they'd get me a tool set to start off with, I'm between a few sets from craftsman and husky having ~300 pieces each at about $200. I can throw some links if y'all want, but are there any recommendations? I'd cap the price to around $500, and I know i'm not gonna get anything complete but at least as inclusive as I can get. Also a good toolbox/chest for around 1-200, maybe something modular like pic related
>>
craftsman hand tools are good. lifetime warranty. you can break it doing literally anything and they ask no questions.

personally I don't like the big mechanic sets they sell.

you might spend a little more money, but I feel like it might be better to piece together smaller sets.

the mechanic sets have shit you'll never use. like tiny ratchet with tiny sockets, the universal screwdriver thing that no one ever uses, the allen keys dont come with a thing to hold them, you dont get many screw drivers, no pliers, etc

idk i just feel like piecing together smaller sets is better. everything you want with nothing you dont.
>>
>>14044923
youre gonna have to add it up and see whats a better way

like ideally you'd just piece together a 3/8 ratchet set, grab some extensions, a swivel, a screwdriver set, an allen set, a little hexbit set, pliers set, uhh a rubber/plastic hammer, idk i cant think of anything else and then just buy shit as you need it.
>>
>>14044923
I agree with this. Years ago when my dad dipped off and I need some new tools, I dropped some money on a big Craftsman set. It came with a million sockets that I don't really need, yet no pliers or vice grips and stuff like that.

I think you should get yourself a decent socket set, a wrench set (Sears has those GearWrench ratcheting and open ended sets on sale now), and a screwdriver set and then kinda see what you need as you fix stuff.
>>
>>14044923
This. The tool sets are generally pretty garbage. Make yourself a list of what you expect you will need

>engineer and ball peen hammers
>a couple of pry bars
>1/4 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet and socket set
>various phillips and flat screw drivers
>punch and chisel
>wrenches (preferably ratchet wrenches)
>impact driver
>various pliers
>allen and torkz sockets
>2 ton jack with Jack stands

Power tools would be nice but you probably don't have enough room in your budget
>>
>>14045023
Forgot to add be sure to get 6 point sockets

12 points round bolts off really easily and you very rarely run into a 12 point bolt and when you do you could probably make do with the box end of a wrench
>>
All super helpful stuff, I thought 100+ sockets seemed a bit silly without any pliers or anything. I'll see if I can talk them into just getting me a gift card or something seeing as it's supposed to be a christmas present.
>>
Most of the shit in a blow molded case set you won't even need. Get a 1/4 drive, 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive handle and a set of stand and deep sockets for each and torx sockets for the 1/4, get cv wobbles for 3/8 and 1/2, 3,6 and 9" extensions. A set of metric box wrenches that don't skip odd sizes. A screwdriver set. A vise grip set, a hand sledge and deadblow hammer. Get long handle metric hex. And a trim/fastener tool.

Nothing uses sae anymore
>>
>>14045023
to maximize his money, i'd skip getting an impact. I'd also skip getting a 1/4" ratchet and socket set, at least from craftsman.

instead of impact driver, a good drill and black oxide bit set maybe

if you forsee doing any drivetrain stuff or hub stuff you need a cheap torque wrench.
>>
>>14045041
http://m.sears.com/craftsman-82-piece-socket-wrench-set/p-00917151000P

http://m.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae-mm/p-00935720000P

Think about these two, and then look for a decent 3/8" ratchet set, a set of pliers, and some screwdrivers. I was at Sears yesterday and almost got that socket set with the hex keys and torx but I was already buying expensive boots and I'm trying to refrain from too many impulse buys.

Also like Termi said, jack and stands. Harbor Freight jacks aren't bad for the price. Their hand tools won't take abuse like better stuff will but they will still work if you are broke.
>>
>>14045082
I'll throw those on the list. If y'all have any other suggestions please throw them out there, I know what i'll need for more specialty shit but as far as just trying to be prepared and minimize sears runs i'm pretty lost
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 640x1136
>>14045041
>>14045082
And if you get that $40 set with the torx and hex bits, it will come with a 3/8" ratchet. Regular socket sets are actually fairly cheap.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-18-pc-standard-and-metric-socket-accessory/p-00934564000P

That is another problem I ran into. I have like 10 fucking 3/8" drive socket wrenches now. You will probably want a 1/2" socket set and 1/4" set in the future too, but 3/8" will get a lot done for the time being.

>tfw got a $5 off coupon for any tool purchase from Sears that expires today
I'm about to go drive over there and buy that hex and torx socket set. Shoulda just grabbed it yesterday.
>>
>>14045124
the socket sets + wrench sets, swivels + extensions, plier set, allen set, and screwdriver set, 3 hammers (plastic, rubber, metal) will get you through most everything.

you have enough budget for a good solid base.
rest is buy as you need.

harbor freight for shop tools, zipties, consumables, etc.
>>
>>14044923
My father got me a nice craftsman socket set as an early christmas gift to work on my new acquisition. Its a really nice set and it comes in a really sturdy case. We have a craftsman toolbox just like in OP's pic, it's pretty decent.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14045124
I was also looking at 1/2" drive ratchets. You will probably want a set in the future but they are really expensive right now.

The trick with Craftsman is to wait for stuff to go on sale. Especially with bigger things like tools sets and tool boxes. A couple times a year, anything you want will go like 50% off. So don't go and spend $450 on a tool box when you can wait 2 or 3 months and get the same box for $250.

Also you can shop around and look at Husky and Kobalt stuff. It's not like a Husky 3/8" socket won't fit on a Craftsman 3/8" wrench.

I guess I have a few more days left on that coupon. Maybe I will stop and grab that set tomorrow after work. My mechanic buddy at Pepsi has the same set and when I saw him use it, I told myself I need one of those. Plus that price is so good right now. $40 off of like $130. I have spent way too much money on gifts for family and myself the last few weeks. Fucking diamond earrings, Michael Kors, and Bass Pro Shops.
>>
snappy or gtfo
>>
>>14045213
I know the feel with spending on gifts. GF's birthday was four days ago there goes $200 on a necklace and here goes another $150 on VS and other shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14045218
I don't think OP needs Snap-On for wrenching once in awhile around the house.

I have had good luck with Craftsman for years and years. Only thing I like to spend good money on is drill bits because cheap ones get dull so fast even with occaisional use.

>fuck you Bass Pro, taking all my money last weekend
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14045231
It's ok, my mommy deserves some nice earrings. I ended up buying them on Kohl's website. Who knew they had a good jewelry selection and the prices were right for what I got. And the sweet thing was I dropped some money on those earrings and ended getting $105 in Kohl's Cash and turned that right around and bought a bunch of clothes for my sister. Then I went half on some Michael Kors wallet ($130, not too bad) for my sister. I'm just glad she's not into Coach anymore. That shit was expensive. $600 for a purse and matching wallet.

And then I ended up buying some fishing stuff for my lil bro. I keep wanting to get more, but already spend $70 on some tackle bag and then another $60 on lures and might still let him pick out a new rod and reel. Once I stop spending money on myself. I have bought two new rods and reels since Black Friday for myself.

I'm also going to buy new tires for my mom's Jeep in the next week or two. That will probably be $500.
>>
>>14045185
>craftsman
>nice

This fucking bothers me. Nothing about craftsman is nice. They're cheap. Husky and kobalt actually build better quality tools than craftsman. In fact some of harbor freight tools are nicer than craftsman. I have and use a few craftsman pieces but I try to avoid them when I can.

CRAFTSMAN IS GARBAGE
>>
>>14045572
I've never had a problem with Craftsman. Not like Harbor Freight shit where you pull on a ratchet too hard and the thing just explodes.

But I have never used a $3000 Snap On ratchet so I have nothing to compare it too. I'm sure that stuff is on another level, but I could never justify buying it.
>>
>>14045606
Used to run snapon at the machine shop, loved that they will drive out tools to you when you purposefully break them in a fit of rage.

I did just get a borescope from harbor freight, 89 bucks and its actually pretty nice. Took a gamble on it.
>>
>>14045606
>i haven't broken it so it must be nice

That's some flawed logic right there.

Their ratchet mechanisms feel like sticking your dick in a bucket of rusty nails. They're way too short and don't provide enough leverage to break.

The finish on their wrenches is like grabbing a handful of gravel and their open ends are always a little off on size.

The screwdrivers handles fucking suck and don't grip for shit.

Their toolboxes are much worse than HF's us general line of tollboxes

You're better off not even setting foot in sears and heading straight to home depot/Lowe's for some affordable tools.
>>
>>14045639
>tfw local tool trucks wait 3 months to warranty
>>
>>14045640
Yeah the screwdriver grips do suck. Some of their shit is outdated. I'm just saying I've never fucked up Craftsman like Harbor Freight tools. They take quite a bit of abuse.

And I disagree about the toolboxes. Craftsman are def nicer than those US General ones. My buddy bought one of those HF boxes and it gets the job done for the money, but you can tell where they half assed stuff to save that money. My Craftsman one is def nicer than the US General.
>>
File: toolboxyo.png (95 KB, 483x752) Image search: [Google]
toolboxyo.png
95 KB, 483x752
>>14045640
depends on which craftsman box. the higher end griplatch and edge series ones are pretty nice for the price.

out of ops budget tho obv
>>
File: 20151214_163628.jpg (639 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
20151214_163628.jpg
639 KB, 1400x1050
Finally something good from HF, these socket trays are awesome
>>
>>14045708
No. None of the craftsman boxes are nice. The grip latch system is neat, but the box is thin as fuck and they're not powdercoated. There are definitely better boxes for the price.

They're just rebranded overpriced waterloo boxes.
>>
OP, should money ever come your way, buy a Snap-on Flex 3/8" ratchet. Buying that tool alone will do so much.
>>
>>14044794
Tekton tools are going to be the best bang for your buck, $500 will get you a lot of good stuff, and if you want to be naughty, split it up into a bunch of $50 orders on amazon, they are doing $15 off a purchase of $50 or more on tekton until the end of the month.
>>
>>14044923
Sets from anywhere are useless. The products in those sets are much worse than the separately purchased counter part- and you don't need 1000 different sockets, which WILL break.
>>
>>14046102
I was looking at those, plus the metal wrench organizers for my new box. That looks great, so I'll pick some up.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14046102
Those look nice. Next time I am near a HF, I gotta try one out.

In the meantime, I'm goin to Sears to buy that damn socket set. So much stuff I want to impulse buy...
>>
i need tools to change out a set of springs from a car
what do i need and how much will it cost me
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Fuckin Sears
>>
>>14049861
Wrenches, penetrating oil, probably a torch when the oil doesnt work, and VatoZone will loan you a spring compressor.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 640x1136
Also if anybody needs a torque wrench right now, Sears has them for the low.
>>
>>14049882
Do yourself a favor and get the knipex 10 inch pliers wrench they carry at sears.
>>
File: 1.jpg (121 KB, 1277x718) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
121 KB, 1277x718
>>14044794
If you want everything to last, get craftsman, I use a ton if their stuff as well as snap on and Matco. Snap on makes mid wells which are nice but no better or worse than Craftsman and a shitload more money. As for a tool chest, check Harbor Freight for a cheapy to get you by. The tool cheat they offer are actually very good for the money. As has been said before, get some pliers, screwdrivers, etc as well as a nice piece of square 3/4" pipe for a cheater bar. And one final recommendation

BUY THE CRAFTSMAN 1/2" CORDLESS IMPACT KIT WITH TWO BATTERIES. I have a used mine to death and it keeps going strong. One of my most used tools besides my air tools and wrenches. I think ita about 89 bucks right now for the kit. Well worth it for the time it saves.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14049925
Sears actually had a nice 3-level box for like $250 on sale. That's probably what a similar HF one would cost. I almost bought that fucker too but I don't need it.

I really need to clean out my garage for real now and re-organize all that shit. I have like half my tools buried in there, and the other half in my bedroom in a bunch of boxes. I haven't touched my tool chest since I moved.

Too bad this kit didn't come with a 1/4" ratchet. I have a few but it would be nice if it were in the kit.
>>
>>14050030
O have that same kit floating around somewhere at home. Half the time unless its an impact or a specialty tool, I use one of my small sets and grab a hammer, pry bar, etc off the pegboard.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14050057
I would love to build a work bench in this garage and have a bunch of hooks and shit to hang all of my power tools. All this new stuff will never all fit in the toolbox. But I rent this house and don't want to do a ton of work to the garage if I'm going to move in another year or two.

But for the tool box, I might start looking for a big base with a cabinet or something that has a couple shelves for power tools. The box I have has 2 levels. And on the lower level, there are a couple of deep drawers for bigger tools. My recently acquired stuff will never fit. If I get a big base cabinet, I could take the wheels off the old bottom and make that the middle cabinet.
>>
>>14050089
Look ath the 60" Harbor freight tool chests. That'll also give you a good amount of workbench space. I think you can get one for under 400.
>>
The new Craftsman Professional wrenches feel exactly the same as my Snap-On ones. I'd go Craftsman.

Also watch the newspaper, Sears (if an Amerifat) has sales on tools all the time. I got a little Craftsman ratchet set recently for $5.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14050105
That wouldn't be bad. I need to think about that. I need to clean out my garage and organize all these tools first and see what I have to deal with.

I have so many boxes and storage shit from when I moved that I need to get rid of. It's really unorganized. I nornally end up working on my little projects on my patio.
>>
>>14050089
You park your car inside? South Florida so many people have garages so full of shit they can't put their cars in them.
>>
>>14050143
>Ken
I figured you for a taco desu. Not sure why, I guess I was just playing the odds.
>>
>>14050161
No. Car is in the driveway. Bullshit and scooter is in the garage. It's mostly lawn care stuff, the scoot, and a bunch of holiday stuff and plastic containers and boxes from moving that I need to organize.

My garage isn't that big tho. It's only a one car garage plus my washer and dryer plus utility sink are in there. If I wanted to park my car inside, I would probably have a hard time doing laundry. And the scoot and lawnmower would be outside.
>>
>>14050179
It would hurt me to park my car outside in SoFl. It would be dirty 24/7 because it rains for like 20 minutes and then the sun comes out to cook that rain into your paint. Can you at least get one of those tents for cars I see? Carports or whatever it is called. The canvas tent with metal bars.

Or get one of those plastic barns to put your scooter and lawnmower in. Or park the scooter inside your house and get a cover for the lawn mower.

I'd think of something.
>>
>>14050169
Ask the truckerfag thread, I'm black. I'm also not Ken.

>>14050179
To add, I like my driveway compared to some houses in this neighborhood. It is "u" shaped. Across the street, they have a straight driveway, only one car wide, and try to park 2 pickups in it. The second truck blocks the whole sidewalk and is a couple inches into the street.

My old house had a one-car wide driveway. It was nice because the garage was behind the house, so you could fit 4 or 5 cars in the driveway if you wanted to. But when my car was the first by the garage, I would have to move my mom's and brother's cars before I could go anywhere. You had to plan at night for how to park them.
>>
>>14050202
It's ok. I'll leave the Escape in the driveway for now. Fuck that thing. It already has cancer from the snow and salt around the rear wheel wells. And it's a 2008.

If I park it so it is nosed into the garage, the trees cover it with shade all afternoon. But my car is in a gated parking lot at work all day anyway. I try to park near some trees so the sun doesn't cook it so bad.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm getting closer to the tool chest...
>>
>>14050207
>I'm black. I'm also not Ken.
why do black guys always have tools with other peoples names on them?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14051006
That's funny because back in the day, my dad wrote "Stolen From Kenny" on all of his tools. Most of the stuff just has his initials on it now. I think a few of the older tools or sets might still have the "Stolen From" written on them, I gotta look later.

>PepsiFag doin werk in the garage
Now I just have to wait for my mom to clean up those clothes. But I know that pile will just get bigger, women are slobs. There were a bunch of pairs of boots that look like she wore them once or twice. Told her I'm going to throw them out. She lives in South Florida now, not Chicago.
>No, don't throw those out! I use them all the time.
No you don't! And there's only one of these boots, not even a pair!
>No, don't throw anything out!
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
2manysockets
>>
>>14052414
>implying
>>
>>14050207

Kendrick? Kendwon? Kendroy?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14052619
Nah just Kenneth rip in pieces

>>14052433
It's just annoying that I couldn't organize them a little better. Either way I'm sure there's like 2 or 3 full sets in that drawer and probably a bunch of extras. The leftovers from one of those 400pc sets plus a ton more loose ones I got sent.

But on the left of the tool chest, the bigger black box is some like 150pc 3/8 ratchet set. Then on top of that is that 82pc hex/torx socket set I grabbed, and then there's another 20pc 1/4" drive Kobalt set I just bought. Plus there's like 100 1/4" drive sockets in one of the drawers.

I'm proud of myself. I finally got all of those boxes somewhat organized.
>>
>>14052688
Also next step is to get some hooks or big screws I can sink into the wall right behind the tool chest. I didn't realize it was fucking cement before I went to Lowes for fresh drawer liners. I was thinking about doing those boards with all the hooks, but they are pretty thin. Maybe I will sink some 2x4's horizantally into the cement, and I can hang shit off of that. I need to hang some saws and hammers and random painting/drywall tools from the wall. Maybe I can get the Sawzalls and drills up there too instead of that red bin.

Also I neet to slap a couple WAT stickers on it.
>>
>>14050089
Is your name Kenny?

[spoiler]My name's Kenny.[/spoiler]
>>
File: image.jpg (1017 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1017 KB, 3264x2448
>>14052924
No. That was my dad.
>>
What's your guys favorite tool?
>>
>>14052964
Yeezy for sure. He's a tool. Or a dumbass. I'm not sure.

If Fred Durst were still around, it would be him.
>>
>>14052964
angle grinder
>>
>>14052996
I'm a big fan of air die grinders, but for my favorite cutting tool I have to go with the sawzall, just says "I don't care about precision or specialization, just going to cut this shit"
>>
>>14053020
I need to find an excuse to break out those DeWalt Sawzalls. I have used the screw guns a few times since I got them, and they're so much nicer than the B&D shit I had before. Same conpany too. Wtf.
>>
>>14052964
3/8 ratchet

It's the foundation of any tool assortment
>>
>>14053020
I have a question: If I just want to grab a 3/8" Snap On ratchet, where do you think I should look to get the best deal? And if I'm not buying from the truck, will it be a pain in the ass for warranty stuff?

I'm thinkin about grabbing one just to see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>14053066
snap warranty is a pain in the ass even off the truck. youre basically buying crack from some hustler clown.
>>
File: 20151215_155309.jpg (618 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
20151215_155309.jpg
618 KB, 1500x1125
>>14053062
Yeah that's my favorite too, especially since we don't use impacts very often at the shop I'm at now

>>14053066
Maybe Ebay? I wouldn't worry about ever needing to warranty one of their ratchets, mine's 11 years old and I've beaten on it super hard, no issues with the mechanism. You can get an extra pin and C clip or two for the flex head just in case if you decide to get a flex head.
>>
>>14053066
I buy all my snap on tools from pawn shops and family/friends at about 20% of tool truck prices.

Worst case scenario you strip the ratchet out and you can buy the rebuild kit for $10 directly through snap on or just plead for a warranty.

The dual 80s are a little more complicated than most ratchet mechanisms tho.
>>
>>14053095
Damn I need a little cart like that. I really want an air supply too, but I just don't wrench enough to justify it. I don't need half the tools I have for my little projects around the house.

The nice thing about buying halfway decent hand tools tho is that if you take care of them, you can use them for life, ya know. It isn't like a video game console or something. It's the same thing people have told me about playing an instrument and investing time and money into that.
>>
>>14053135
Yeah I thought about pawn shops. There are a million around here. Or maybe a flea market. I need to stop fucking impulse buying stuff for a couple months tho. I went overboard the past couple weeks.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.