[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Last few weeks >Occasionally hear tapping from engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1432498779274[1].jpg (39 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
1432498779274[1].jpg
39 KB, 600x568
>Last few weeks
>Occasionally hear tapping from engine
>Check oil
>everythingseemsok
>Today
>Driving back from bank
>Pull up to house
>Tapping is really loud
>Too loud
>Open hood
>Smell of burning metal
>thefuck
>Check oil
>BONE FUCKING DRY
>PANIC
>Find synthetic oil that we bought for the Mini
>Dump the remaining 3L into the engine
>Check levels
>At minimum line
>Leave on for a few minutes
>Tapping gets to minimum levels
>STILL PANIC

HELP ME /o/ IS MY ENGINE GONNA DIE, WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T THE IDIOT LIGHTS COME ON
>>
File: 1449278420903.jpg (128 KB, 575x422) Image search: [Google]
1449278420903.jpg
128 KB, 575x422
I mean you've probably roasted a few bearings and journals. Your biggest mistake was when you decided to keep driving on it after you heard your valvetrain singing you the song of its people.....you fucking retard.

Get it looked at by a professional.
>>
>>14044653
What kind of car? Year make and model please..
>>
>>14044681
I constantly keep a watch on my temperature and the oil level in the dash computer, neither has shown anything out of the ordinary
>>
>>14044721
Be that as it may, your valves were catawalling and you smelled burning metal. Did you also choose to just ignore that?
>>
>>14044721
Also check for oil leaks....actually...have a professional check for oil leaks. It may give some clues as to why this happened.
>>
>>14044754
The tapping wasn't too loud until today, and I didn't smell any burning metal until right before I discovered no oil
>>
>>14044765
What kind of car
>>
File: 1441990820906.png (28 KB, 238x231) Image search: [Google]
1441990820906.png
28 KB, 238x231
>>14044653
>tfw oil leak
>regularly running it dry

You know engines aren't as delicate as you think they are... They're built to last hundreds of thousands of miles and decades of drastic temperature changes.

Running low on oil for a little bit won't hurt it.
>>
File: 1446223570788.jpg (39 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1446223570788.jpg
39 KB, 512x512
>>14044832
>built to last decades
>hundreds of thousands of miles
>much abuse

Also designed to be lubricated properly.
>>
>>14044782
Chebby cobalt 2.2L
>>
>>14045020
What he's saying is certainly a bit of a hyperbole, but your engine isn't going to just die from a bit of low oil.
Not that you should let it happen, it's just not the worst thing ever.
And it all depends on the engine as well.
>>
>>14045042
I agree, but when you see no oil on the dipstick, the valves are making a ruckus, and you smell burning metal, something is definitely wrong.
>>
When was the last time you changed the spark plugs.
>>
>>14045076
True.
But honestly, it's a bit op's fault. If he knew there was a tapping sound he should have been visually checking the oil every so often, instead of pretending like nothing was wrong.

I prolly manually check my oil about every other week just cause.
>>
>>14045079
Previous owner allegedly changed them during the summer when they did the coilpacks (Which I can tell are new)
>>
>>14045091
Believing what the previous owner tolled you kek
>>
>>14045091
Just cause they look new doesn't mean they are.
And like all the coil packs, cause I know they can be a bit pricey.
I would pull out a plug and look just to be sure.
Changing them rarely fixes the problem, but it's one of the more simple things to do.
>>
>>14045111
Also, not knowing what kind of budget you're working with, do an oil change.

Honestly, just start doing basic maintenance shit. Which is what you should have done to begin with.
Fluids, plugs, etc. Every time you buy a car.

Also, not related, but some advice. Go through all the fuses after buying a car.
>>
>>14045123
I was actually going to get stuff to change the oil today, but I didn't take enough money with me to town
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.