[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody have any experience with this stuff? I'm a professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 7120000_lco_10009_pri_larg.jpg (16 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
7120000_lco_10009_pri_larg.jpg
16 KB, 450x450
Anybody have any experience with this stuff? I'm a professional tech, so I tend to shy away from this kind of stuff. Lucas makes good products though, I've always had good luck with them. I've tried the Lucas power steering stop leak, and it works well. Didnt feel like replacing the steering rack on my C5. It's really just a thick fluid that reconditions old power steering systems. I figure the transmission stop slip is kind of the same thing, if not almost the exact same product given how similar the two fluids are.

Anybody have any experience with it? It would be a last resort before replacing a transmission anyway.

I'd never consider using engine oil stop leak or radiator stop leak. That's just asking to fry your shit.
>>
no idea m8, is it some kinda friction modifier
>>
>>14043191
>professional tech
>can't be assed to maintain his own shit

Professional tech? Tech how? What like how McDonalds used to call the asshole running the deep fryer a "fry tech" to make them feel like less of a braindead dipshit? Get out, if you're not gonna do something right don't do it at all.
>>
>>14043191
Why don't you actually fix shit, you stupid mechanic?
>>
It's just a higher viscosity fluid with friction modifiers to boost line pressure and give worn clutch packs some traction. Get an atra book and rebuild it. I can round trip an at alone in 24-30 work hours

>I don't think you're that proffesional
>>
Put it in my car a year ago. Nothing bad so far. Notice that my transmission is still leaking slightly though.
>>
>>14043191
I use it in all my cars

Its pretty good stuff desu. It stifles the jeeps 4.0 from pissing all over the driveway and the 2.2 in the cav is dry as a bone after it seals the leaky drain plug. I will rob you of a few HP but the improved lubrication on startup is worht it
>>
>>14043282
>>14043294
>>14043310

>dropping the entire subframe to replace a $500 steering rack, after working on everybody else's piece of shit cars all week

I wouldn't expect you to understand unless you work on cars for a living. It's not like I'm zip tying my fucking transmission cross member in place, or stopping up my cooling system. Literally just adding a thicker fluid to the system.

Also, wouldn't expect some fucking backyard mechanic to understand the difference between ghetto rigging something and putting an additive in a fluid system to get longer life out of parts that haven't completely failed yet.

>I only do this to my own cars
>>
>>14043609
>I'm lazy
Yea, I know. I already said you were.
>>
lucas transmission shit causes atf to bubble up you lose protection.
>>
>>14043609
>is a lazy asshole

Yeah we established this and that's our point of contention- My brother doesn't have a problem knocking out an engine rebuild in his DD on a weekend, because he has a work ethic, AND he's up every morning at 5 at the gym before going to work- He's not content to nigger shit up like you are. Not to mention what kind of dumb asshole are you- You're some hot shot "professional" technician and you don't know most of these miracle fixes in a bottle are just heavier weight fluid and prayers? Get the fuck out, if you don't give enough of a shit about your own cars to do things right you shouldn't be here.
>>
>>14043626
>>14043708

not the mechanic op, just wanna let you guys know u have no idea....this guy isn't bad at all....most mechanics cars don't even fucking drive. He is literally just putting a thicker ps fluid in a part that will eventually fail to make it not fail as soon. It doesn't hurt the car and gives him some time....also most long time mechanics are completely fucked health wise. I know one man that has both shoulders trashed. Carpel in both hands and wrists. Cant do anything because surgery would kill income for a few months....you really shoud'nt judge unless u are full time mechanics too.
>>
>>14043764
sooo.. basically like every single tradesman on the planet? It's called getting old and doing a labor job.
>>
>>14043776
yeah. It exactly is. Why do you think people tend to hire other people to fix their shit even if it falls under their expertise. also why do u think tradesment tend to drop dead in their sixties.

I still dont't see why u guys are pants shitting over him making a fucked power steering rack work a little longer by putting thicker hydraulic fluid in it. Its a band aid fix for a already trashed part. Will get him over the work rush and he will swap it when there is downtime. I would be with you guys if he was putting in head gasket fixer or some shit. But the lucas oil is a old known bandaid fix for transmissions and power steering. I had a friend with a old slippy c6 trans that used it for a month or two until he had bought another vehicle and was able to take his dd out of comission long emough to have the trans rebuilt. Trans still slipped some with it. But nothing like before the lucas. And the tranny shop didnt give him any shit over it because suprise. Its just thicker hydraulic fluid..
>>
>>14043764
>not the mechanic op, just wanna let you guys know u have no idea.
I have plenty of an idea. OP is lazy.
>>
>>14043609
I'm not a shade tree, I'm a flat rate tech that has more billable hours than work hours...every week.

You're just shit
>>
>>14043191
The lucas shit for engine oil is pretty cool. My 12a has a pretty bad oil leak (oil metering pump is removed, gas is premixed), and putting a quart of lucas in the oil slows the leak from a quart every two weeks to a quart every 2 months.
>>
>>14043809
This is exactly what I'm trying to say. I rebuilt the engine on my Corvette last year with $1700 in parts, and did a bumper to bumper repair on my Wrangler, over $500 in parts.

PS fixer for a seeping rack =/= to shitty work ethic.

>>14043843
Woopty doo, I too flag more hours than I clock. You're not a special snowflake, get fucked.
>>
>>14043869
I won't use it for engine leaks. PS leak only, and only if it's leaking a little. It starts pouring out, I'll replace the part.
>>
>>14044007
Shade tree mechanic here, gonna do the same for my wifes DD b/c I have no dry space and can only feasibly replace p/s lines or the entire rack in the spring. I was hoping this would be a good 3-4 month bandaid, but only info i know is a football player shills it on t.v.; I was going to do a half and half mix; should i get two bottles and go extra thick? I lose a reservoir (about 1/2 quart) in about 3 weeks or 1,000 miles of driving.

It works with ATF power steering too right?

also the p/o put GM power steering fluid in it instead of ATF, would this cause problems?
>>
>>14043191
It's pretty much snake oil.
And lucas is crap.
Read an independent study comparing a shit ton of different brand motor cycle oils, lucas came in dead last. It even failed the very first viscosity test. In other words, it said it was a 40wt oil on the bottle it barely passed as a 30wt.

Learn to fix your shit right.
>>
>>14045193
>not even discussing the oil or oil additives

Learn to fucking read.
>>
>>14044753
If it's leaking that bad, hopes and dreams might be a better solution. But it can't hurt to try. It's only $10. Just suck the reservoir dry or wait till it leaks down enough again. Pour the bottle in, top it off with ATF or PS fluid, run the system, put a few miles on it and get it hot then checan the level again. Don't worry about what fluid is in there now, too late for that. It should be fine either way though.
>>
>>14043191

depends on the reason for imminent failure.

If it was due to a low hydraulic pressure problem in the system, this would probably help with slipping.

if there was an actual mechanical failure of some kind in progress (gear wear), this wouldnt do shit.
>>
>>14043191
>seals
>reconditions
Yeah, and if you drink a whole bottle, it'll remove you from the gene pool. Amazing stuff, that.
>>
>>14047989
What about slippage because because of worn bands?

>>14048235
>not understanding that thick fluid will help take of the slack in a worn rack or PS pump.

No it doesn't fix the fucking rack, but it buys you time and keeps the part working until you can replace it.
>>
It's literally just a thicker hydraulic fluid to limp a part along until you get the chance to replace it. You guys are shitting your pants over nothing, I'm not recommending that people actually repair their cars with fix it bottles.
>>
File: 1439364732520.png (320 KB, 464x317) Image search: [Google]
1439364732520.png
320 KB, 464x317
>>14047585
>hopes and dreams might be a better solution

>>14049706
>it'll work goys I swear but I don't recommend it.
>>
It's not a solution to a bad transmission but it will get you home. Maybe.
>>
>>14051296
>I literally didn't read a fucking word he said about the specific application of the product, so I will ignore the specifics and generalize because its convenient for my shit posting
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.