[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$400 Mercedes Y/N
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (649 KB, 2048x1186) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
649 KB, 2048x1186
83 300D, looks like pic related just a little more weathered.

Good:
>turbo diesel inline 5
>never needs emissions or any kind of inspection in Commiefornia
>$400 for a possibly running car

Bad:
>Autotragic (all the turbo ones are in Americuntistan)
>Sunroof is fucked, so are the seats and steering wheel, because:
>317,000 fucking miles
>"Ran when parked" 5 months ago because of "clunking", supposedly needs an axle boot
>Battery is all the way dead thanks to the alarm, won't take a jump, brand new one costs $140
>Reg has been out for 6 months, title still in previous owner's name

Should I gamble a battery on this? Figure if I can drive it around the block it's worth $400. Or $300. Either way it's sitting in my landlady's driveway so I'd like to do some'm wit it
>>
Check for body rust. Honestly, it its bad, harvest the engine and sell it for double what your landlord is asking for.
>>
>>14041468
No rust, California car. Usually unless the car is parked within a mile of the beach or had serious unfixed body damage you don't see serious rust on anything newer than mid 70s.
>>
File: 1449840073196475954.jpg (60 KB, 600x359) Image search: [Google]
1449840073196475954.jpg
60 KB, 600x359
>>
>>14041443
if it's a 300D, it's n/a, not turbo
>>
>>14042329
Says turbo diesel right on the trunk m8.
>>
If it runs and you can restore it, go for it. Mercs from that era can and will do silly amounts of miles before actually falling apart
>>
File: FUCK.png (147 KB, 331x304) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.png
147 KB, 331x304
>>14041443
>turbo diesel inline 5
>>
>>14041443
That was my first car, same color too. 63hp or something, the na diesel is awful.

Prob rear diff mounts which are a pita to change. Title will be a b and you'll have to get a surety bond or track down the registered owner. Just walk away
>>
>>14043075
Trunk lid or badge swap it would be a 300td if it was turbo, still a turd
>>
>>14041443
>Reg has been out for 6 months, title still in previous owner's name
I wouldn't take it for free.
Best case it's gonna be the biggest bitch just to get it in your name.
Worst case it's stolen.
>>
>won't take a charge

Remove the cables from the battery and hook the charger cables directly to the cables, you can start a car that way.
>>
>>14041443
>W123 300D
>317,000 fucking miles

So basically it just have been run in?

You can drive 10 times that mileage with these monsters.
>>
>>14043415
>>14043926
I could always just alter the sold date on the title. It's not stolen, I'd be buying it from a white lady who isn't a tweaker.
>>14043424
T doesn't stand for Turbo in 80s Mercedes language. 300TD was the wagon, most of those had turbos but it's possible to have a turbo 300D or NA 300D.
>>
>>14044199
Still a turd, merging onto an American highway with an anemic diesel can be downright dangerous. Never mind the rear left is always covered in soot because you drive wot everywhere.
>>
>>14041443
these have issues with all the windows and locks not working after a while because they are all pneumatically operated and the hoses leak.
>>
>>14041443
>>
>>14041443
As someone who owns an old Merc, I say this to you:

Be ready to do work on it. Like if you think you're gonna be able to pop a battery in and be good then no.

As Kent Bergsma (the mercedessource guy also a great resource for older Benz owners) says:

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes"
>>
I'd take a shot at it. At worst you can resell it on CL. Btw if its a 83 it should have a turbo.And don't expect 30+ mpg. At best you will see mid 20s.
>>
Comedy option: swap the engine for a Mercedes OM606

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYttMIdUmA
>>
Worst case, you're out $300.
>Buy battery
>"Fuck, it doesn't start"
>Scrap car for $200
>Resell battery for $90

If the car doesn't take a special snowflake battery (I know fuck all about old Mercs), consider just swapping in a battery from your current car (or a buddy's), just to see if it runs.
>>
>>14049941
It shouldn't take anything special. My '90 has an Interstate Battery that looks relatively new in it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.