[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dumb questions about aftermarket intercooler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: ecoboost intercooler 1.jpg (135 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
ecoboost intercooler 1.jpg
135 KB, 653x490
should I bother upgrading my ecoboost mustang's intercooler? is it worth the cost? and if I did upgrade it, would I have to have it tuned?

I've heard aftermarket CAIs are basically snake oil that just makes the car a little louder, but that the factory intercooler for the mustangs gets heat soaked pretty quickly. I'd like to be able to drive it kind of hard for around 3-4 hours through mountains.
>>
>>14040420
upgraded/properly sized intercoolers are a big benefit. and no, you wont have to tune it. The onboard software will compensate for it because it wont take you that far out of stock parameters. And no, it wont give you a hp boost. but yes, it will help with heat soak if they are too tiny from factory.
>>
>>14040420
They help with heat soak but offer.no gains without tuning. If I were you I'd get an accessport or an exhaust before upgrading the intercooler.

Not sure if the 2.3 is anything like the 1.6 but the Fiesta also has oil heat issues.
>>
>>14040420
>aftermarket CAIs are basically snake oil
This isn't true. A CAI can provide benefits if the airbox is restrictive and sucking in hot air from the engine bay. A CAI isn't going to fix an intercooler that's getting heatsoaked. It might help if the stock intake is pulling in hot air from the bay.

Also lol at people thinking a modern vehicle needs a "tune" for a CAI or SRI.
>>
>>14040551
It depends on the vehicle, the cai I use retains the stock air box so the gains are only in filter surface area. Other 'CAI' can have minimal effects with their placement under the hood..

Again you might get some benefits from these items, but really need a tune to take full advantage of your available power after your mods, especially with an ecoboost.
>>
>>14040440
incorrect, it will increase hp. a colder air charge is more dense.
>>
>>14040689
It makes power delivery more consistent but does not truly offer gains, other than recovering previously 'lost' power due to heat.
>>
>>14040420
If you're doing touge have you upgraded your brakes at all? Just another thought.
>>
>>14040741
I got the performance package mostly for the larger brakes, havnt flogged it hard enough to see if I should get even larger ones.
>>
>>14040420
The 2.3l eco FMIC is the same as the 2.0l EB's, and it's just too small. In ambient temps of ~80F mine gets heat soaked after a single pull and my charge temps go through the roof. I bought a Mishimoto unit to install soon.

Installing an FMIC will make it so the ECU doesn't have to pull timing due to charge temps as often, but it won't take advantage of the lower all-around charge temps. A specific tune like MAP's (which comes bundled with their FMIC) adds in a few degrees of timing.

I'm honestly happy to run the FMIC without a specific tune until COBB's stage 2 map comes out.

>>14040689
Only if you have the spark/fuel to take advantage of it. The stock map does not.

P.S. the stock intake is pretty good.
>>
>>14040420
>ecoboost
right click - hide
>>
>>14040667
Under hood is an Sri. Ecoboost tunes make power by upping the boost pressure. The stock Ecu has enough variance of the fuel map to adjust for increased flow, tunes just advance timing, possibly richen the fuel map and sharpen dbw throttle input. I wouldn't bother with Ecu mod unless I wanted higher boost, altered cr or changed injectors and or camshaft(s)
>>
>>14043881
Well that's the thing, you're probably only gaining marginal air flow with the CAI over the stock airbox in the ecoboost. If you're going to upgrade the intercooler or CAI you're probably looking to make power gains, and the best way to do that is through tuning.

I have a 1.6L Ecoboost with exhaust, intake, and cat-back exhaust which made gains of ~43whp/70tq with a tune. Basically the mods alone don't change what the computer asks the engine to put out.
>>
>>14040420
spend it on water injection instead
>>
>>14040709
This is wrong... colder air has more oxygen. The MAF will compensate for it. And you absolutely will make more power with a good properly sized intercooler.
>>
>>14045016
No, sorry you're wrong.

"Adding the more efficient intercooler allowed Jon to push the tuning envelope, but it also meant the learning curve was a bit steeper.
With the fascia and the Active Grille shutters out of the way, there is plenty of room behind the bumper for a larger intercooler.

“‘Allow’ isn’t really a good word for it. More like ‘Forced!’ It forced us to understand how the control systems were functioning. You can’t tune these properly unless you understand the complex control systems for fuel control (direct injection), boost control, and torque modulation. The intercooler makes the turbocharger system more efficient, so it will make more power. You have to gain control of the systems to control the power safely and efficiently,” Jon said. “Outside of those added complexities with increasing turbocharger efficiency, the intercooler gets charge temps down enough that the engine can handle more ignition timing just like any blown application. This helps increase power further without risk of detonation.”

In the end, the combination of the more efficient intercooler and the new custom tuning produced some impressive results on the Dynojet at Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach, Florida."

http://www.svtperformance.com/2015/06/18/tech-2015-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler/

But you're welcome to post some data showing power gainz from an intercooler being installed on an ecoboost mustang.
>>
A better cooler won't usually show any improvements in power until you've been lapping for a few minutes and start heatsoaking the stock cooler. One that works better will take longer to soak, or maybe won't at all, and will prevent the car from heatsoaking and losing power

So yeah it's not really making any more power, it just allows it to keep making power instead of losing it over time to soak
>>
>>14040667
>the cai I use retains the stock air box so the gains are only in filter surface area. Other 'CAI' can have minimal effects with their placement under the hood.
Those aren't cold air intakes, those are short ram intakes or Hot Air Intakes. A CAI will typically extend below the engine to pick up air in the front air dam or under the vehicle. It's why they make valves to keep it from sucking in water if you go through a puddle.

Also do not need a tune to gain power from CAI. That's what a fucking MAF sensor is for. That "tune" would have probably given you more power without it. Stop telling people shit like this. It's wrong.
>>
>>14045046
The facts are a MAF will detect cooler charge temps and you will see HP gains just from a more efficient intercooler if it provides lower charge temps and the stock one is garbage and getting heatsoaked.

Yes, as a benefit you can advance timing. But you don't have to advance timing to see gains from a cooler charge temp (if you have an ICT) and your ecu corrects for it. It's just simple physics, bud.

Maybe not on a dyno with limited air flow and zero soak.
>>
>>14045115
So you're agreeing with me that you gain no power from an intercooler, but like I said >>14040709 you're only recovering formerly 'lost' power.

>>14045073
You're right, a true CAI will do that, but from what I've seen from a lot of ecoboost intake manufacturers do not offer a true 'CAI', instead they just offer a conical filter that sits where the stock airbox used to be in the engine compartment. Which is not a true 'CAI' and offers no real gains over the stock airbox.
>>
>>14045173
You will still see gains if your charge temps are getting lower right off the bat. Like if the dyno room has a really good fan.
>>
File: trunk cooler.jpg (99 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
trunk cooler.jpg
99 KB, 960x540
so, has anyone ever seen one of these trunk mounter intercooler coolers?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.