[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im restoring my headlights tomorrow and the kit only came with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Im restoring my headlights tomorrow and the kit only came with 800-1000-2000 grit paper but I know that thats not going to be rough enough. Does anyone know where i can find 400 and 500 grit? Can I just go to home depot and grab some or does it have to be a special type designated for car use?

Will any 400 grit paper work? And do you guys have any advice in general, ive done it before and the result sucked.
>>
You don't know if it's rough enough until after you've used it. Use the 2000, 1000, and 800 first. Yes, you can buy lower grits at ACE Hardware, LOWES, Home Depot, etc. No, there is no type of sand paper designated for car use.

Circles, not streaks. No blades. No industrial strength cleaners. Don't fuck up.
>>
>>14040262
anon i hear toothpaste is just abrasive enough and will work
>>
>>14040262
Considering a rag and some cutting compound is enough, any grit sand paper is enough.

Use the 2000 and use wet sand paper n00b
>>
>>14040298

I have used it though, less than a year ago I used the 3M kit and it did shit all as you can tell from pic related. All of the videos ive watched online mention starting with 400/500 grit and only then move on to the kit; I just want to replicate their results.

Im getting winter tires put on tomorrow, ill hit up autozone after and see if they carry anything.
>>
>>14040341

I read that my xc90 has retard strength headlights thats why im going all out
>>
>>14040262
They will look terrible again in a few months if you do nothing but sand them
>>
>>14040262
I would not use anything less than 1000-1500 grit paper on your headlights. Les than that and it's far too course and you'll be removing far too much material.

Wet sand with 1500 grit until the yellowness is gone and it's an even amount of haze/matte finish, then go to 2000 grit paper and wet sand, then get a 4000 grit foam pad and wet send.

Clean it up relly well then use finishing compound to bring out the shine, then wax it.

400-800 grit on smooth plastic is fucking stupid and a waste of time.
>>
>>14040262
>>14040369

Also, most headlights don't even need wet sanding. Only wet sand if it's absolutely necessary. Most headlights will clean right up if you just go to town with some finishing compound and then some wax.

Don't overthink it.
>>
>>14040358

Dont have $400 to spend on new ones or $600+ on new oems

>>14040369
It wont work, im telling you I did just that and it hardly removed anything even after wearing the pads down.
>>
>>14040390
Then you didn't spend enough time with your 1000-1500 grit.

It's plastic, you don't need 400-800 grit to cut it. Get good 100 grit and wet sand it to perfection. Depending on the extent of the damage you might have to do it a few times to get the desired results.

YOu don't want to worry about trying to get swirls out from excessively course sandpaper in clear plastic. Stick to high grit paper.

Make sure you are WET SANDING. Do not try to dry sand plastic. Make sure when you are wet sanding to regularly flush the paper to clear out the grit and to flush the surface to get rid of debris.
>>
>>14040262
Buy new lenses instead.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.