[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frozen Battery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1.2161729.jpg (104 KB, 960x900) Image search: [Google]
1.2161729.jpg
104 KB, 960x900
sup /o/

Its winter here and routinely drops below 0C. I'm only an occasional driver, 90% of the time I can save fuel by taking transit to university, but I still need my jeep for other stuff. I drive maybe 2-3 times a week and rarely for more than an hour.

So of course I had my battery freeze on me. Bought one from CAA, and that's died too. Boosted it, and drove around for an hour and a half to try and get it healthy again. Its died again after 2 days. Is it a drain somewhere in the system? CAA tested the system and said I didn't have any unusual drains but I'm not sure if I trust them since it was just a quick test in the lot.

Should I just boost it and run it every single day? Buy a charger?

General battery health thread.
>>
Your battery shouldnt freeze that quickly, unless you live somewhere where it's regularly -40.
>>
>>14039379

Nope. Hasn't even gotten below 20C for a full week yet this year.

I don't think I drove it at all the week it froze though. So 7 days-ish. That still seems too fast to me, but I'm no expert.
>>
>>14039347
Just take it inside if you're only doing 2-3 drives a week.
>>
>>14039404

Seems a bit much to unbolt the damn thing every time I need to go out. But I've definitely thought about doing that. If I get it fully charged you think just disconnecting it would be enough?
>>
Anyone have experience with those "smart chargers" you can mount inside? I was thinking of maybe doing that instead. They don't seem to be too expensive and would basically solve all future battery problems.
>>
>>14039629
You don't need a built-in one, you can just buy a battery tender that you clip on to the terminals when you're parked.

But this sounds more like a purely defective battery. Is there anywhere near you with a battery health tester?
>>
>>14039749
Or you can say fuck all that noise and go to BK and buy a Chicken Tender every day for a month for the same price
>>
>>14039347
is your shit winterized? if so add a battery blanket and/or trickle charger. no? do it anyway.
>>
>>14039347
Buy a deep cycle with excess capacity and either insulate the battery box or build one for it.

No more problems.
>>
>>14039805
>Buy a deep cycle with excess capacity and either insulate the battery box or build one for it.
You're a moron.
>>
>>14039821
>Whole bunch of bullshit solutions like taking the fucking battery out of the car
>Or spend a little bit of money and effort
>>
>>14039835
You're a moron. Deep cycle batteries shouldn't be used to start a car.
>>
>>14039749
Battery was tested when I bought it. Got it from CAA.

>>14039785
Will probably do this.

Any sense bringing it into a shop for them to track down a dead draw? I imagine they'll charge through the nose for something like that and there's no guarantee that's actually the problem.
>>
>>14039870
It's not 1995 you hopeless fuck.
http://4xspower.com/shop/product-category/12v-agm/
>>
>>14039932

The battery in there is brand fucking new, and still dead after only a week or so.
>>
>>14039932
>It's not 1995 you hopeless fuck.
Oh, I didn't know the fundamental design of deep cycle batteries that makes them unsuitable for sustaining large current draws had changed in the last 20 years.
>>
>>14039954
Well hey faggot, considering you can buy one right now specifically designed to start the car guess you should keep the fuck up with news.

>>14039953
Yes, because it got completely drained.
A deep cycle will give less of a shit about that and by design will not die as quickly in the cold.
>>
>>14039992
>considering you can buy one right now specifically designed to start the car guess you should keep the fuck up with news.
You can't. You're just gullible.
>>
>>14040010
Keep telling yourself that, retard. I'll keep listening to the people who do this very thing with those very batteries.
>>
>>14040022
You do that. I'll listen to actual engineers who know what they are talking about instead of the marketing department of some no name rebranded battery shill.
>>
>>14039347
Just get in your jeep and drive south until it doesnt suck
>>
File: How-to-choose-an-Optima-battery.jpg (91 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
How-to-choose-an-Optima-battery.jpg
91 KB, 1600x800
thoughts on optima batteries /o/
>>
>>14040045
meme
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.