[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1979 Bonneville
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: bonneville.jpg (86 KB, 1200x527) Image search: [Google]
bonneville.jpg
86 KB, 1200x527
So I'm looking at buying a '79 Bonneville with 150k miles on it for $850. The body and frame seem to be in decent shape, but given the era of car I'm thinking the engine, transmission or both are going to need to be replaced in the not-so-distant future.

Any estimates on how much cheddar it would ring to replace either the engine or trans in something this old if either one went bad?
>>
>>14036895
You can pick up a new chev crate motor for a few grand.
Any swap you end up doing is going to cost more than what you paid for the car.
>>
>>14036934
I figured as much. Think this is a worthwhile investment for me as far as values are concerned?
>>
I suppose I must also specify that it's a Bonneville Landau.
>>
>>14036895

At different points in prodction, these were made with Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, and Oldsmobile V8's, but all of them cost $1600-$1700 over the parts counter for a remanufactured engine, and a transmission for around $1000.

Since the chebby 305/350 were both factory options, you also have the option of junkyard scrounging any old SBC and dropping it in, which can bring that cost way way down.
>>
>>14036945
Anything car related is never an investment. They always depreciate in value. But if it will bring you happiness to ride around in a land yacht with a screaming 350, then it's worth it
>>
>>14036895
Fuck yeah nigga get it and swap over a 3-rotor 20b turbo
>>
File: IMAG0094.jpg (2 MB, 1980x1060) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0094.jpg
2 MB, 1980x1060
Do it
Coupe version looks goat
>>
>>14036945
Honestly no. These were mass-market people haulers, not collectors items. The B-bodies are great freeway cruisers, but only very particular models (like the 2-door box caprice for some reason) have any sort of collector value.

That said, you could probably donk it, straight-pipe it, throw a cheapass subwoofer in the trunk, and sell it to some nig-nogs for 3 grand.
>>
>>14036945
This is the exact incorrect mindset to be considering a car purchase in. Buy it if you love it, otherwise let someone else who loves it get it.

But to actually answer the question, here we go. Max value on one of these cars is around 8K, low miles, #2 condition, etc. Transmission repair will be reasonable, less than $1K or so. Engine costs will vary considerably. Do you know which engine it has?
>>
>>14037316
Yeah, my Catalina coupe has that paint scheme, super popular.
>>
>>14036945
>worthwhile investment
>79 Bonneville

Never

>>14037363
>$8k

Is it covered in gold for that price?
>>
>>14037363
Ebay spoke, I'm just reporting final prices I've seen. Nothing with 150K miles though, usually under 30K, garage kept, etc.

Something I just remembered, I totalled a '79 once that I had bought for $800, made $2400 off the inusrance settlement.
>>
>>14037642
That's awesome, Anon. What kind of collision was it? These old cars are death traps after all.
>>
>>14037642
Old dude in rental car pulled through an intersection without looking, I got sideways and we did a hip bump and caved in my right rear quarter panel. Since this would require dozens of hours in metalwork alone, and no one reproduces the quarter panel, it was totalled on a pure technicality. The car was 100% safe and driveable, no frame damage taken. I actually bought the car back for 10%, got my fancy suspension bits and transplanted them onto my other project Bonnie, then sold the shell to salvage for $200, driving it all the while.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.