[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How practical is it to make a lightly trail capable car out of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: JDM rock crawling.webm (317 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
JDM rock crawling.webm
317 KB, 480x360
How practical is it to make a lightly trail capable car out of a generic econobox?

I want my 8th gen Civic sedan to not pop its tires on rocky trails and clear river washes.
>>
>>14034502
Its not
>>
>>14034502
Sell it and get a ranger
Or if you really need an econobox get a forester and lift it, and throw nice tires on it and there you go.
>>
>>14034502

AWD swap from a CRV. Raise the suspension to clear offroad tires, route the intake to a snorkel.
>>
just buy some BFGoodrich(tm) All-Terrain T/A(c) K02(tm) off-road tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24i-NQf48w
>>
>>14034537
I might actually do this and swap those in when I need it for trails.
>>
File: AfghanCorolla.jpg (18 KB, 375x238) Image search: [Google]
AfghanCorolla.jpg
18 KB, 375x238
Not sure how fit an 8th gen Civic is for this kind of thing, but older econoboxes actually had about as much ground clearance as many of the current AWD crossovers.

In many other countries, people lift fwd sedans/wagons out of necessity, see pic related, it's an AE100 series Corolla in Afghanistan, the courier trim level with rear leaf springs and a beam axle, super cheap and easy to lift. A spacer can lift the front end somewhat (before you run into CV-axle wear issues). I've done more offroading in Ladas and old Toyotas when I visit relatives in Siberia than I ever do in my 4Runner here in the US, sadly. Folks over there will install spring spacers (1-2 inches max) and a steel skid plate to protect the oilpan and transmission, and you're good to go.

Here's our rental Lada 2107 crossing a stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9m-NaVG90

Now that's a sturdier rwd car with a solid rear axle, which will articulate better over uneven terrain.
>>
Here's a FWD Samara totally killing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZELdNdGGw
>>
File: P101311_1502.jpg (511 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P101311_1502.jpg
511 KB, 1600x1200
>>14034502
lift it and put some meaty tires on it.
put a limited slip diff in it and let your dreams become dreams.
>>
Get the cheapest awd car available and put like 205/75/14 off road tires on and gopher it.
>>
>>14034537
BFG ATs are garbage.
>>
weld the diff and get some ride height from taller tires and you'll do pretty good.
>>
http://honda-tech.com/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/awd-crx-del-sol-crv-driveline-swap-1708933/
>>
File: corolla_front.jpg (82 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
corolla_front.jpg
82 KB, 1000x669
>>14034502
Go corolla instead
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.