[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the heck does a cylinder tune-up consist of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Hey /o/:

Car newbie here. I was at the mechanics getting some various work done (power steering flush), when they suggested that I get a 6 cylinder tune up. It was way pricey for both parts (six spark plugs) plus labor ($250). I said no, but it got me pretty curious.

What does a cylinder tune up consist of? What's the different between just replacing my spark-plugs and "tuning" a cylinder? Will it make any difference with my beater SUV? Can I do it at home if so?

My vehicle is a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4WD.
>>
It's a money grab that uses a fancy name to convince car-tarded people to shell out the money. There's no real way to tune up a cylinder short of tearing the engine down and replacing seals. Change the plugs and wires when they're due and you'll be fine.
>>
>>14032554
Why are you getting bullshit like power steering flushes done in the first place?
>>
>>4032571

Thanks mate, I figured it was snakeoil maintenance.

>>14032573
Ok enlighten me, why are power steering flushes bullshit? It's too messy to do in my apartment's parking lot, so I had the mechanic do it. Wasn't too bad.
>>
>>14032595
>why are power steering flushes bullshit?
What benefit could they possibly provide?
>>
>>14032595
You don't need a power steering flush unless you use your steering wheel as a merry go round 24/7 sine 2005.
>>
>>14032554

once upon a time, a "tune up" was adjusting the carbs, tappet clearances, ignition timing and dwell, changing plugs, filters and oil

none of that stuff is required or carried out anymore except the last 3 items, but the price never went down accordingly
>>
>>14032607
Won't it chew up the power steering pump/rack? Also my handling is a bit sluggish. Figured it couldn't hurt at least.
>>
>>14032633
>Won't it chew up the power steering pump/rack?
Uh, won't what do that? The power steering fluid? No.
>>
>>14032652
In all honesty, I just want to protect my power steering pump. What would you recommend for that?
>>
This guy thinks because they flat rate tuneups depending on cylinder count they are called a "cylinder tuneup"

It's a 6 cylinder, tuneup
Not a 6, cylinder tuneup
>>
>>14032673
Putting in the specified power steering fluid and keeping the lines free of leaks. Power steering is really maintenance free.
>>
>>14032684
Tune up is plugs, pcv and filters..

Major tune up is above +
boots and or wires, distributor cap and rotor when applicable. Timing, valve and carb adjustment when applicable. Upstream o2 sensor when applicable, intake/maf clean.
>>
>>14032607

Something like a 10+ year old shitbox could stand to benefit if it's still on the original fluid.

Shit gets old and dirty despite being a closed system, screens in the reservoir clog with crap and inhibit flow, starve the pump and make it whine.

It's not something you should really ever consider doing unless your turd is 10+ years old.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.