[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything good that comes from FF V6 cars? their weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
File: x10pt_6c001-1280.jpg (216 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
x10pt_6c001-1280.jpg
216 KB, 1280x1024
Is there anything good that comes from FF V6 cars? their weight distro its so fucked up, maybe if they were AWD or RWD they would be better, but as of what it is, i think there is no advantage to having a V6 in FF layout.
>>
>>14030254
cheaper
>>
More passing power.

End of discussion.
>>
File: i261007.jpg (111 KB, 920x498) Image search: [Google]
i261007.jpg
111 KB, 920x498
>>14030254
More weight on the front wheels means better traction though.

A better question would be why front heavy cars never seem to be specified with bigger tires in the front, to match the weight distribution, but we all know it's because the average driver wants the same tire in every wheel.

Besides, why not a V8?
>>
>>14030476
Yeah, but it means worse stability. FWD needs a 50/50 or as much balanced/rear weight as possible.
>>
File: elvingtonfun.jpg (94 KB, 1109x630) Image search: [Google]
elvingtonfun.jpg
94 KB, 1109x630
>>14030556
What? That exactly the opposite, more weight over the front wheels make cars more stable. That's the difficulty with RR cars like the 911, the stability needs to be engineered in since the weight is in the back.
The only reason why you might want 50/50 weight destribution on an fwd car is is you have the same exact tires in the front and in the back and you want maximum cornering grip. There isn't anything particularly dangerous about lifting a rear wheel either.
>>
>>14030838
Except its the other way around. More weight on the rear will always means more stability, this goes double if its something magical that doesn't exist like an RF or MF car.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (40 KB, 528x384) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
40 KB, 528x384
>>14030838
please stop
>>
File: buick-lacrosse-2005-12.jpg (827 KB, 3000x1996) Image search: [Google]
buick-lacrosse-2005-12.jpg
827 KB, 3000x1996
>>14030254
No.
>>
File: dymaxion.jpg (2 MB, 3508x2241) Image search: [Google]
dymaxion.jpg
2 MB, 3508x2241
>>14030854
How ignorant can you be, really?
>>
>>14030871
I dont know, anon, how ignorant can YOU be?
>>
>>14030476
old pony cars have much thinner tires up front
in part the weight of the engine over them makes wider tires unnecessary
>>
>>14030890
If you're too retarded to get, >>14030871 is an example of an RF, and pic related is an MF car, both of which clearly don't exist, according to you. The weight on the rear adding more stability is just wrong.

>>14030953
Aren't you confusing drag cars with pony cars?
>>
>>14030969
wow, you actually took what i said literal? i meant that as a representation that there are little to no MF nor RF car in the domestic market right now.
>>
File: 1.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
what about the ford cossie
GAA
>>
>>14030989
honestly, i took what you said as trolling, since the only "weight" over the rear wheels that adds stability is aero downforce, which not the same thing as weight distribution.
>>
>>14030998
that's rwd m8
>>
File: 1402680623892.jpg (925 KB, 2580x1932) Image search: [Google]
1402680623892.jpg
925 KB, 2580x1932
how good is the maserati v6? pic related
>>
>>14031008
No. I was serious about the weight distro. if the force that pulls a car forwards is in front of the centre of mass then there is an increased stability than if the centre of mass is in front of the wheels that give traction. That's why you will see FF cars have better stability (not just lateral G-force or grip, but overall stability in all scenarios) than MR and RR, and those two, better stability than FR. Using the same principle, an RF or MF car would be having extreme stability.

This is my problem with front-heavy FWD cars, it makes them less stable, something that you can feel better when cornering
>>
>>14031013
Very unreliable. It does sound very good though, and can be made to deliver power. Maserati took it to 330 hp on a 2 liter engine in the ghibli II cup.
>>
>>14031023
You're making a big mess inside your head there. To put simply, we say a car is stable when it understeers since the car always tries to minimize the yaw rate, and doesnt need correction to follow a straight line.

Adding weight over the front wheels means that the front tires have to exert more more force to turn the car and thus bend more than the rear tires, decreasing the yaw rate and thus inducing stability.

The same car with more weight in the front should feel more stable at all times; different cars might have different suspension settings, which could explain the feeling of less stability (particularly less damping, like in most landbarges).

But this is a long subject matter, you should look it up a little better, like in following link or anywhere else really.

http://autozine.org/technical_school/handling/Index.html
>>
>>14031126
Nobody is talking about under or oversteer. I am talking about simple physics. This has nothing to do with individual axis grip. Let me make it basic:

What's more stable? holding a pen with your fingers when its pointing down? or holding it from below with your palm? this basic physics concept extends to car and its one of the basic reasons why RWD have stability issues and end up loosing control.
>>
File: neutral2.jpg (14 KB, 400x196) Image search: [Google]
neutral2.jpg
14 KB, 400x196
>>14031222
Why are you confusing drivetrain with weight distribution? I'm not contesting RWD makes the car less stable (because it's true), i'm pointing out that adding weight to the front of the car makes a car MORE stable rather than less.

As you say, it's easier to hold the pen with your fingers when it's pointing down. That is because the support for the pen is behind the center of gravity, in other words, the weight is in front, pointing towards the earth's center of gravity
>>
>>14031309
stop shilling muh stability like you're addressing some volvo driving footy mammy forum
>>
>>14031309
>it's easier to hold the pen with your fingers when it's pointing down. That is because the support for the pen is behind the center of gravity
Literally the opposite. Its easier because the force that holds the pen is in front of the center of gravity. This concept is the one that makes FWD so stable when losing control, when you give it some power the front wheels pull the car forward and it stabilizes itself. In terms of car, the more behind the center of gravity is on a FWD, the harder it might whip when steering quickly, but the easier it is to just bring it stright. When you have a front heavy FWD, its far easier to drift and oversteer due to the low amount of rear weight.
>>
Jesus, you people are fucking retarded.
>>
>>14031378
damn right i'm retarded, what you gonna do cunt?
>>
>>14031378
Wait, you are not? then get the fuck out
>>
>>14031356
I'm explaining how things actually work, if anything FF benefits from less stability.

>>14031372
The center of mass of the earth is below, the force of gravity points to below. If your holding the pen from above, then the hand is further away from the earth than the center of gravity, in other words, the weight is in front.

That whip when steering quickly depends only on the amount of body roll, and the stiffness of the dampers. If you have a front heavy FWD, the only way it oversters more than if it had more weight in the rear is if the rear tires are either aquaplaning, are too cold to provide grip yet, or if you managed to lift the rear tires entirely under braking, because in all those cases the front tires are only ones gripping, and the center of gravity is behind them.
>>
>>14031443
>If your holding the pen from above, then the hand is further away from the earth than the center of gravity, in other words, the weight is in front.
in that case THE WEIGHT IS BELOW. Yes, i know steering whip is dependant to a lot of shit, but for the sake of the discussion, is it really that hard to focus on the weight distro for this case? The reason why front heavy FWD will oversteer more is because there is less holding the rear wheels stick to the ground, but also there is importance on the fact that because the front end will be more heavy, it will have a tendency to go backwards when all wheels lose traction. This is why FR are so good at drifting, its not just the sake of the rear wheels losing grip, its also the fact that the front end sticks better to the ground and the tail sweeps more. When this principle its changed to a FWD, its bad, since it implies that the FWD will be easier to lose control with. That's the entire point of this thread, to try and explain that FWD should get light engines or cars with heavy rear chassis.
>>
>>14031499
The problem is here is that you simply got the physics wrong. Below is forwards if you align the coordinate axis with direction of the force of gravity. The heavy front end will have the tendency to go straight on because of inertia.

FR is easier for drifting because it's higher polar of inertia means it slides out slower, and the driver has much more time to react; an MR car like the lancia stratos or MR2 can spin out very quickly. Less weight over the rear wheels also means you also need less power to start to make them slide, so you don't need too much cornering speed either. Furthermore, more weight on the front wheels means the wheels that arent spinning produce the most force, in other words, you lose less grip when you go from gripping with 4 wheels to drifting in a front heavy FR (also makes it more forgiving at the limit).

Front heavy FWD cars are NOT easier to lose control with. The reason why you might want light engines in an FF is to make the car more AGILE and fun to drive, not more stable, and the same effect can be done by increasing tire width at the front instead, provided the suspension is prepared for it..

Look it up if you don't believe me.
>>
>>14031682
I think there is a misunderstanding. The case i am talking about implies the stability of a big block FWD when the car its NOT accelerating. i know when it is the car will pull itself forwards, but when its not it will behave just like a heavy car, wich means it might want to oversteer more, this goes double if the car is longer, and in those scenarios i just think that having such car would be more efficient on an RWD layout.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.