[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lately I've been thinking about buying a 1990s M3 as a fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: m3.jpg (64 KB, 824x552) Image search: [Google]
m3.jpg
64 KB, 824x552
Lately I've been thinking about buying a 1990s M3 as a fun second car. How bad of an idea is this /o/? Will it be ruinously expense?
>>
How are you doing financially? Are you prepared to spend up to $10K/year maintaining that car? If the answers no fuck off and come back when you can.
>>
>>14028700
$10k a year? Good god, I only make 60k a year. I better wait a few years before I even think about this.
>>
>>14028700
>$10k/year
I love this meme. It gets bigger every time.
>>
>>14028700
10k a year? are you retarded? be prepared to spend AT LEAST 20-30k $ a year
>>
>>14028700
That's the price of one, if it was that bad people would just replace them when something breaks.
>>
>>14028777
Not true. Everybody knows that German cars holocaust at least $6,000,000 shekels per year. The engine compartment is actually an oven and the block is actually made of millions of Jews compacted into diamond so it burns the whole engine up after a few hours. You have to swap a new engine in about twice a day.
>>
>>14028820
6mil $ is a bit exaggerated. if you buy used parts and diy most of repairs you can fit within 80-100k $ per year
>>
guys listen im thinking about the same thing a 3.2 (euro spec) m3

i've heard they really are rock solid cars
>>
>>14028919
They are. Pretty low maintenance for being a performance vehicle too memery aside.
>>
>>14028919

t. Mehmet Aslan (Offenbach germany)
>>
>>14028831
Oy vey, did you just say it was exaggerated? My grandparents owned an M3 and they were there when they had to spend 6million shekels so I was basically there too.
>>
>>14028694
Most srsly, Anon, are you mechanically inclined? If you can work on it yourself than do it, if you have to take it to the shop every time something minor goes wrong, I wouldn't get one.
>>
>German Engineering
>That means that you have to spend a fortune running a 300hp shitbox that gets beat by a a shit american V8 with a live rear axle

LOVING EVERY LAUGH
>>
File: image.jpg (587 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
587 KB, 1280x782
>>14029000
300hp in a car that's not an ugly pigfat American pile of shit will beat your ecoboost auto mustang any day, and the driver won't be uncomfortable as shit while doing it too.
>>
>>14029000
Also
>American cars
>not the biggest money sink possible
One of my coworkers just had to spend $800 getting the s line out of the fuel tank on his mustang redone because it split and the part has to be custom molded. Look at any reliability ratings out there, American shit is the worst except for Cadillac.
>>
>>14029020
Orly

http://youtu.be/dvRR4VZp9ZY
>>
>>14028981
Not at all. You should have seen the uproar around here when I said I took my car to a mechanic to have the oil changed.
>>
>>14029055
Get your shit together and learn. It doesn't take much on BMWs, they're excellent to learn on.
>>
guys legit tho

3.2 euro m3

321 hp stock

suspension, weight reduction, maybe supercharge the slut

fucken cmon thats decent
>>
>>14029070
Every time I try to repair something it's an expensive disaster.
>>
>>14029072
Yes.
Some nocars might complain but just remember you're better than them.
>>
>>14029077
Get good.
I built a car from parts in high school, you can handle changing some filters.
>>
>>14029020
My ecoboost premium is actually a very surprisingly comfortable car. I actually buy automotive seating as a career, and they did not skimp on seat quality. It was one of the bigger reasons I even bought a mustang. Totally took me by surprise because all the other mustangs ive been in had awful interiors.
>>
These faggots don't know what they're talking about. I've had mine since '04 and while it is A bit high maintenance, it will not cost you 10k A year by a long shot.

>sources(s) I own one
>>
It's ridiculous how expensive BMWs are in the US. The only reason E36/E46s are worth anything in the UK is because they can do skids.
>>
>>14029055
>Took my car to a mechanic to have the oil changed.

Mechanics used by the owner of my first car are why two,of the three bolts holding the engine splashguard are stripped and why I had to crush my oil filter with a set of water pump pliers to get it off. Cause some gorilla put it on with a oil filter wrench.
>>
>>14029081

look i'm still not sure about changing an amazing NA engine to FI but yeah 321 ponies even if it's sub 1400kg aint shit

i mean i want to keep up with fiat minivans ffs
>>
>>14029000
>V8
>making 30hp per litre
>3 gear autotragic
Good luck with beating anything that isn't made by Fiat
Nice cupholders by the way
>>
I own a 2001 M3.

Never any major expenses other than small bull shit. In fact, the 2008 Acura I also own is more expensive when maintenance time comes (aside from fluids of course.).

Fuel door spring, resistor for ac blower, outside air temp sensor, etc.. Very minor stuff.

I am chasing an oil leak currently, but the gasket of what I think is no good is only like $30 (minus labor.). I also have a sensor gone somewhere that has disabled my traction control but I don't feel it'll be too bad cost wise.

I just never see having to spend $2 to $3k a year on these cars year after year unless you do a fuckton of preventative maintenance at once.

Only major expenses you'll ever face is having to tear into the engine, trans, or strip down to your frame. Make sure all are OK and I'm certain you'll never be surprised by any expensive maintenance bills.
>>
File: IMG_0495.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0495.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
Got my M3 for $4k with 154k miles.

Currently at 172k miles and i treat this car like shit

Only thing i replaced are : Battery, Tires, Oil, alternator, master cly, and belts.

Would recommend. but get a color you like.
>>
>>14028694
Had one for 3 years, replaced oil and filter once a year, and waterpump broke once so I replaced that plus the fan coupling (not sure what its called in english, viscose or something like that). Sold it for the same price I bought it. Cheapest car I've had.
>>
>>14028694
They're worthless. I sold mine fairly quickly after getting it.
>>
>>14028694
>brother has had an m3 e36 for 3 years
>literally only had to replace the shocks, springs and the diff because burnouts
>>
>>14028764
>>14028724
>I only make 60k a year
>only 60k
>60k
I love this meme too, the number gets bigger every time.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.