[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /o/, that's my very first time posting on this board.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: mazda-rx8-on-the-road.jpg (223 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
mazda-rx8-on-the-road.jpg
223 KB, 1280x800
Hello /o/, that's my very first time posting on this board. /b/ sent me here, I also got some decent advice and tips about the car from them.

I wanted to ask you guys about Mazda RX-8, pretty much everything I need to know about the engine and the maintenance of it.
I've been saving money for it and I finally got enough to afford buying one.
>2005 year
>231 HP
>Manual Shifts
>110000 km
>3650€

I got no mechanical skills, but I really want to own one. Mazda is one of my favorite brands and the RX-8 is my favorite model.
Im afraid I will not have enough money to take care for it, especially when it comes up to the engine (which /b/ said is especially expensive to maintenance)

Anyway /o/, give me your honest opinion, every advice that will be useful to a guy buying this car with no knowledge of cars at all.
>>
It's a wankel rotary engine. DO NOT buy one without researching what this means for your maintenance schedule, how to drive it, etc. For example, rotary engines require being revved much higher than piston engines do, since otherwise they build up carbon.

/o/ absolutely fucking hates the RX-8 though so good luck getting advice here. You'll just 1000 replies about apex seals. Try a dedicated rotary forum instead.

Also it's not exaggerating to say that the RX-8 will require a rebuild after approximately 100,000 km. The factory ended up paying for a lot of them, at least during the early years, since the engine blew up so often (not necessarily Mazda's fault; retards buy them and treat them like a normal engine). If that one hasn't been replaced under warranty, it's due to blow up soon.

Good luck but I'm not a rotary expert so I really can't help you that much.
>>
File: IMG_20151008_055258.jpg (4 MB, 3677x1677) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151008_055258.jpg
4 MB, 3677x1677
It's going to take dedication to own. The unique engine requires more preventive maintenance, will need to be rebuilt more often, and it also has worse gas milage than equivalent cars for the power.
>>
>>14028193
>>14028196
You could also buy it and swap in a different engine. But that's gonna take some effort and additional money.
>>
It's an ugly piece of shit, I'll tell you that. If you want to know "pretty much everything" then you should buy a haynes manual because no one here is going to type out "pretty much everything".
>>
if it hasnt been rebuilt recently it is probably due for one.
a rebuild shouldnt cost more than 2k europoor dollars.
maintenance isnt that expensive, the fuel bill is.
by not going boyracer when cold, changing oil every 4000km, pouring 2stroke oil in the gas tank to lubricate the engine properly, replacing shitty ignition coils, spark plugs leads coolant etc you will see 200,000km+ out of one.
>>
File: DSC_1875.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1875.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
>>14028201
It's not something a non car guy can do. If OP can read up on what he needs to do and is prepared for a higher than normal maintenance schedule it's possible for him to own.
>>
>>14028229
That's why there are car mechanics out there you know.
>>
>>14028232
Stuff like the pre mixing and redlining it a lot are things he has to do.
>>
Rx8help.com

Read all of it and then go get a miata instead. I love the x8 but if you arent sure you can afford to handle maintenance than it is just going to break. These things are fragile as fuck but not necissarly unreliable mileage wise.

If you take anything off that site read the part about how to interpret a rotary certified compression test.
>>
its a love it or hate it engine for everybody that loves the rotary, there are just as many who hate it.

the rotary if well taken care of will last about 30,000 miles when driven normally.

the fuel economy is a issue. if you want a cheap to run rotary, buy somthing else.

as first car i couldnt recomend it.
because you have no mechanical skill servicing will cost a arm and a leg when some thing major goes wrong. unless you know your way around engines and rotaries this isnt the car for you.
buy a mazda 6 instead.

its cheaper to find a rx8 with a blown engine and convert it with a 2 litre twin cam from the mazda family. that way you will have the cheap to run car you want, and its a rx8 shape
>>
OP here, sadly it looks like buying one is not a problem, but the maintenance will be one hell of a problem.
But I honestly will tell you that, the RX-8's coupe is my favorite coupe out there, it's not so much about the engine..
I also got my eyes on one MX-5 1998 on 141000 km for 2 500€.
I would like to get some info about it too /o/, thanks in advance.
>>
>>14028252
>the rotary if well taken care of will last about 30,000 miles when driven normally.
shut the fuck up stupid kiwi cunt you should know better considering your sheep shagging antics
>>
>>14028179
My dad picks up scrap cars and in the past 3 or so years the number of rx8s he has picked up has shot up

Dont buy one unless you plan to get it rebuilt or it has been rebuilt recently. You will be buying into other people irreversible negligence
>>
>>14028256
the mx- 5 / miata is a better option. parts are widely availible.
>>
>>14028267
i know more about the rotary than you do.
>>
>>14028292
neg

>>14028289
mx5 has less than half the power
>>
>>14028302
mx5 may have the half the power but doesnt need a rebuild every 5 feet. you obviuosly missed the part where OP said i havent got mechanical skills.
>>
>>14028317
the time it takes to rebuild a rotary it would still win a race against super slow mx5

>op doesnt have mechanical skills
literally legos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8Mvsm6xzk
>>
File: 1444913439264.jpg (30 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1444913439264.jpg
30 KB, 490x490
>I got no mechanical skills

Wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole then desu.
>>
>>14028229
This one looks pretty well mate, is it yours ?
>>
>>14028256
>I also got my eyes on one MX-5 1998 on 141000 km for 2 500€.

Go test drive it. Wanna bet you'll end up buying it?
>>
>>14028383
I will definitely do that for sure, might just give the guy a call to have a meet for a quick test drive later today.
>>
>>14028393
Take it on some twisty road and you'll quickly understand why this car was once adored on /o/, before this place was infested by benchracers.
>>
>>14028179
I own a 2007 dorito mobile and it's a great ride. Don't listen to these fags, rotary engines are far simpler than any reciprocating engine on the market. It literally only has like 4 moving parts. A well taken care of dorito can easily last 150k+. Just some advice though, get a rotary specific compression test before you buy it and if you do buy it get a warranty to include the engine. If you get one, always check the oil after every other fill up or 600 miles. Make sure you have the service history. Always use 91 octane or higher. Those I believe also have a 1.3 kw starter as opposed to the 2 kw in the 06+ so that's something to keep in mind. Also red line it at least once everytime or every other time you drive it. Get a tune up as well. Many of the problems with these engines stems from carbon build up, low oil, and bad ignition system. These engines are made to be beat on and will kill themselves if you don't pay attention to them or drive like a pussy
>>
>>14028179
>3650€
For that money I guarantee you it's been not taken care of properly.
>>
The Renesis is trash don't let anyone tell you different.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.