[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going to enroll here. Any advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: This place.jpg (51 KB, 600x328) Image search: [Google]
This place.jpg
51 KB, 600x328
I was a college student, but then
>>>/biz/994622
happened.

So now I'm trying to hop into some other form of training or education before taking a long walk off a short pier.

I have some friends that seem to be doing pretty well that went here.
>>
>>14027874
UTI is alright from what I hear.

You should obtain your degree in 1 year, and they set you up with a job to help pay for your school, and the apartment that they set you up in with 3 other guys.

Mechanic field is hell, though. It shouldn't be a consideration for you.
>>
>>14027894
That's funny, I've heard the polar opposite.
-You only get a certificate, not an actual degree (this one's a fact)
-No job placement, you get the paper and you're on your own
-Little chance you'll actually qualify for housing assistance
-Four times as expensive as CC with less overall instruction
-Completion time depends on how quickly you learn/work

Just go to a CC auto program or, better yet, find a different profession. The novelty of turning wrenches professionally wears off extremely quick and you probably won't make more than about $50k/yr. doing it, and that's after many, many years.
>>
This and the military were the only immediate options I could think of.>>14027894

I was going to go for diesel repair since most industrial engines tend to be diesel. I'm not sure how to get to working on trains from UTI, but I figured that would be an interesting diesel mechanic gig.

My dream job is working for a biomed company but that is no longer an option in my life lol. At least not for years.
>>
>>14027927
Suggest a different profession?
I can't go to college anymore, or at least not for some time.
>>
>>14027929
Getting in with the railroad is fucking hard since everyone who's already there is set for life. You effectively have to wait for the guy who currently has the job you want to die before you can even think about applying and even then, the union already has someone else in mind to fill the slot.
My cousin graduated near the top of his class from MSUN (one of two colleges in the country with a 4-year diesel program) and even he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
>>
>>14027934
I'd go with welding. It's all about being as comfy and ergonomic as possible and there's a shitload more earning potential.
And it's still a trade so there's no need to go to a university or some shit to get your foot in the door. Just go through a CC welding course and get as many certs as you can. One of my diesel classmates dropped out after one quarter to weld at a refinery and he blows my salary out of the water.
>>
>>14027934
Go to your army recruiting office, tell them you want to be a pilot. They will tell you that you will have to become a helicopter mechanic first, then later you can put in a packet to become a pilot. After they feed you that load of bull ask them
>What about high school to flight school?
After they gather all their spaghetti, they will grudgingly tell you about the little known program where scrubs off the street can immediately become warrant officers and go to flight school.
>>
>>14027965
I forgot to mention, just getting a certification at a CC should only run you a couple thousand bucks, tops, since you don't have to pay for any unnecessary bullshit classes.
With that you'll probably be certified in at least SMAW, Oxy and MIG, possibly TIG.
>>
>>14027952
Damn.

>>14027965
>>14027969
>>14027974

I'll look into these. Iffy on the military.
>>
>>14028020
i wouldnt military either
-almost 5 year armyfag
>>
If you REALLY want to work as a mechanic, which you wouldn't if you know how the job really is, you are 10x better off going to community college and working at an entry level in a shop at the same time.
>>
>>14029901
This. Op you could try working electric, heard that a good trade. I'm a college grad fag so I don't have an idea myself.
>>
>>14029901
>>14029909
Okay, elaborate on the electric part?

I can try CC but I have to start completely over since I can't transfer credits.
>>
You don't want to be a tech.
You definitely don't want to go to UTI.
>>
>>14029958
I wanted to get a Computer Engineering degree within the decade, Anon.

It's not about what I want anymore. I just want steady employment somewhere that I can live on.
>>
>>14027874
If you really want to go to school, go to community college. UTI is a for-profit scam.

Either that or find a stealership willing to take you under their wing and get you some factory-tier training.

>>14029901
>which you wouldn't if you know how the job really is

Why do you faggots constantly shit on the work of a technician? You're just regurgitating the same stupid shit people have been posting on /o/ for years. It's nothing more than a meme at this point.

I've been doing it for five years and I'd never want to do anything else. Yes there are downsides to the job, but there are downsides to any job.
>>
>>14029995
Almost quads, neato.
I'll look into dealerships, then.
>>
>>14029995
>Why do you faggots constantly shit on the work of a technician?
Probably because we are techs
>>
>>14029995
I shit on them because I was one for 5 years.
Literally every single person I know who was, or wanted to be a tech, including myself has quit and found a different career.

>>14030006
Stealerships are shit tier. Nothing beats warranty and recall work all day. Who doesn't love being paid significantly less than cust pay for the same job?
>>
>>14030016
>>14030032
Just because you and a few guys you know act like woe is me big babies who have it soooo rough doesn't mean there aren't millions of technicians/mechanics out there who love their jobs.

If you're interested in it, go for it. One man's trash is another man's treasure. You can't just tell someone they aren't going to like a career only because you didn't like it.

You could at least go in depth about the things that suck instead of just saying lol u dont wanna do dat its da hardest job in teh world!!

For the most part, the major downsides apart from not really making all that much money are the uncomfortable condiions (constantly stooping or hunched in a strange position, can be hard on your back and joints), irregular work hours, and the fact that if you get injured you can't really make any money.
>>
>>14030069
>>14030032

I would appreciate the specifics as to why you dislike the job.
>>
>>14030069
>>the major downsides apart from not really making all that much money are the uncomfortable condiions (constantly stooping or hunched in a strange position, can be hard on your back and joints), irregular work hours, and the fact that if you get injured you can't really make any money.

>>major downsides apart from not really making all that much money

You forgot having to buy all your own tools, no upward mobility, and eventually getting fired to be replaced by a beaner.

Go back to shill college and work on your shilling.
>>
work for free for a year or two at a real shop. The only way to really learn. UTI isn't gonna provide you with a rusty 90s toyota with shitty quality nippon bolts.
>>
>>14030209
I can't afford to work for free for a year or two. Well, if I just do the living out of the car thing, yeah.
>>
>>14030214
so you rather pay tuition for a year?
>>
>>14030069
Since you are a tech you know many others as most shops have a high turnover rate (there's a reason toolboxes have wheels), even if you have only worked at one shop chances are you have worked with at least 30 or 40 other techs, do you really think more than half of them enjoyed the job and would recommend it to others? From my experience I would say about 5% feel that way. Someone who doesn't know anything about the trade (like OP) isn't going to understand the dynamics of flat rate politics, customer pay vs warranty/recall, etc. so there's no point in going into it that deep in these threads that appear daily. Knowing that most techs wouldn't recommend the job should be a good enough indication.
>>
>>14030219
I was going to try to get their job assistance thing where you're working while there.

I can't afford college tuition, linked the situation in the OP post, so that isn't an option.
>>
>>14030228
I just wanted to say that, the only place you'll learn how to really work on cars is at a shop. They'll start you off lifting cars and taking the wheels off, then you'll move on to brakes and basic bolt on/bolt off replacement, learn diagnostics a long the way.
>>
learn how to weld in Community College.

I almost went to UTI, to the point we did the interview and everything.

Its a for profit school, through and through. Don't bother. The guy was a salesman and not an educator, he was kinda fucking rude and continued to message me for 3 years after High School. I had one from Lincoln Tech in my inbox the other day too.
>>
>>14030292
Gotcha. Damn, since I can't transfer credits the past three years have been a waste.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.