[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Used Rolls Royces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 00M0M_6HusritnQZd_600x450[1].jpg (21 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00M0M_6HusritnQZd_600x450[1].jpg
21 KB, 337x450
Is this a good deal? http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5313510284.html

And more in general, how do you tell a good used Rolls Royce?
>>
>>14026960
funny you bring this up, shop I delivered to today had one of these up on a hoist, you know how much the customer was spending to fix a minor problem with the suspension?
9800$
think about that if you really wanna buy an old used ultraluxury car
>>
I wouldn't think so. From a 'comfort' stand point, any modern car with a top trim will outshine that.

Next, you'll have all of the high maintenance costs, but none of the prestige. No one will look at that and immediately go "OH SHIT, IT"S A ROLLS ROYCE", unless they're familiar with the Spirit of Ecstasy on the hood, and that's something I'd categorize as 'uncommon' knowledge.

So no, I wouldn't buy it.
>>
File: 1392818580999.gif (906 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1392818580999.gif
906 KB, 160x120
>>14026982
>$9800
>>
>>14026960
Price seems a little low to me for a low mileage car with service history. So it could be a good deal. I will say from personal experience they are an incredibly nice driving car. Much smoother, quieter, and more comfortable than anything else I have ever driven.

As for telling if it's good, it's the same as any other car. Service records, check for accident and rust damage, test every little switch and component inside, check fluid levels and colors. It's a 6 3/4L pushrod V8 so not too much to go wrong, only thing I can think of is that they have a funky dual distributor that uses 2 4-cylinder caps and rotors and there is a toothed belt that runs between the 2 to run them. Make sure that has been replaced.
>>
File: inside-out-3[1].png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
inside-out-3[1].png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>14026982
>The cost of a decent used BMW to fix the fucking suspension.
>>
>>14026982
>spending to fix a minor problem with the suspension?
9800$

That is probably the most complicated and non standard part of the car and the reason for the amazing ride. Hydro-pneumatic suspensions are a little complicated.

> From a 'comfort' stand point, any modern car with a top trim will outshine that.

You sir, have obviously never driven a Rolls Royce. Not even a new Jaguar or Merc rides as nice as a 30 year old Rolls.
>>
File: DSC_0053.jpg (608 KB, 1800x1205) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0053.jpg
608 KB, 1800x1205
>>14026993
>>14027019
You think $9800 is crazy? My shop had a customer cut an $81k check for repairs on 2 of his cars last week, a 360 and a Quattroporte. That's the biggest I've seen yet but I've only worked here for a few months, I know it can get much higher.

All the old Bentleys and Rolls are a mess, they have tons of stuff seen in little if no other cars like brakes running off a hydraulic takeoff pump on the trans, and parts are a nightmare to find. I agree with >>14027005
though, they sure are cool cruisers
>>
>>14027050
If you have a Ferrari and a Maserati, you have stupid amounts of money to burn. Although $81k is a lot of money I can imagine the Italians charging stupid amounts of money for things that parts and a lot of those parts being dealer only.

Fun thing with British cars is there is almost always aftermarket parts you can get for anything. So it keeps the price down.
>>
>>14027076
The parts aren't cheap but the labor is more, the F1 clutches which last from 5k to 20k for most people are 12-16 hours to change depending on the car, and 360 and earlier are all timing belt cars, many of which require engine out services. The timing belt interval is 3 years (and 30k miles but nobody ever reaches that), so if you have a 348, 355, Testarossa, etc. every 3 years you have to drop the whole rear subframe/engine/trans out of the bottom of the car. If you have one of those cars AND the F1 trans AND drive it you can easily end up spending $15-20k every 3 years just to keep it on the road.
>>
Old Rolls-Royce's may be cheap but they're really high maintenance which can be quite expensive. It's only worth getting if you really like the car and don't give a shit about its value proposition.
>>
There is an ancient proverb:

"A cheap Rolls-Royce is the most expensive thing you can buy"
>>
>>14027103
That sounds like a great business model for a car company. Let's build a sports car that you can't really use without having to dump massive amounts of money into it every other year.
>>
Don't do it nigga, I got a bentley from that era (pretty much a re-badged rolls). It was a fucking disaster. I guarantee all the electronics on that thing are broken or damn near. The suspension is probably shot to hell to. Even if it's in good shape now (doubtful) when it breaks it will bankrupt you.
>>
>>14028839
That's ever English car ever. Worst electrics in the world.
>>
>>14028839
Personaly experience with old Rolls the electrics aren't actually bad.
Drivetrain is pretty bulletproof

It's just that everything for it and servicing is ludicrously expensive. It's not woth it unless you're comitted to doing absolutely everything yourself.
>>
>>14026960

Everyone will just think it's a clean looking Buick.
>>
>buy rolls royce
>replace everything (drivetrain/suspension/brakes) with Lincoln Towncar parts
>?????

How well would this work if i did it all myself?
I dont give a shit about it being Original
>>
>>14028982
As long as it is a body-on-frame towncar, not bad but you won't have any more 'waft' because the low end torque of towncars compared to Rolls Royce is shit.
Also you would still have to fight the britbong electrics and all that crap, imean ye christ.
But, everybody that makes random claims about how bad or unreliable these are have no idea about cars.

Truth be told, if you know your way around wire cutters and a wrench set, you can keep an 1970s-1980's rolls or jag alive quite fine yourself. Burning oil? Add more. Leaky hose? Cram a new flex hose in. AC broken? You're screwed on that one buddy just forget it. Windows won't go down? Fuck it. 3 million warning lights on dash? Cut the wires.

If you're willing to go through the effort of "replacing everything" which I very much doubt is a worthwhile plan, you might as well just get a cheap example that is alive and well enough to work, and then roll with it until the wheels fall off.

I had a friend named Jordan with a Jaguar Soverign (XJ 140?) We called it the grandfather clock. It had 250,000 miles and used a quart of oil every day. It leaked so many fluids it killed a 15 foot swath of grass at the school parking lot edge.
Every day its owner went to start it up, he would bang on the starter motor with a hammer if it failed to crank over, and from what I remember the gas gauge always read full.

Lot of good times smoking weed and rolling around in that piece of shit were had.
>>
>>14026960
complete dumpster fire, dont even try it.
>>
>>14026991
>any modern car with top trim will outshine that

Even if modern cars can match the noise levels of the Rolls (and that's not easy), pretty much every car today has far too stiff springs and anti roll bars to match the compliance of the rolls.

>>14026960
But yeah OP, it's only a good deal if you make the maintenance yourself or you know a good mechanic. Otherwise, don't bother.
>>
>>14029126
I always thought that, for the displacement, the Rolls Royce six and three quarter was totally gutless. Things made somewhere round 130bhp, if recollection serves.

Yes, I know bhp =/= torque, but the two ARE related.
>>
>>14030542
The whole purpose of those engines was to be quiet and smooth
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.