[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I sometimes flash my hazard lights when somebody lets me over,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 579x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 579x800
I sometimes flash my hazard lights when somebody lets me over, moves out of the passing lane proactively, or something else kind.

Would you interpret my brief flashing of my hazard lights as a thank you?

Btw I only do this when waving is really impractical. I know that if I shown appreciation for a random driver being kind, they will also appreciate it more and be happier.
>>
>>14026100
>Would you interpret my brief flashing of my hazard lights as a thank you?
Nope.
>>
>>14026104
What would you think I was doing? Mistake? I only do it when I'm in front of the person so they can notice.
>>
File: '.jpg (56 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
56 KB, 403x403
>>14026100

I'd think that an inexperienced woman driver is panicking for no good reason and I would scratch my head and think "Did I just do something wrong? I don't think so wtf"
>>
Truckers do it all the time if you let them over.
>>
I always flash my hazards. After a race, before one, if I cut someone off by accident
>>
>>14026131

But that is in context of actual hazard; a large and long trailer changing lanes is a hazard and it needs to make signals that people can see.

This guy just press the hazard sign every time he switch the lane in a sedan.
>>
>>14026131

This.

Yes, its acknowledged but probably only by a small number of people.

But be sure they're letting you in. If you're just diving into spaces bigger than your vehicle and flashing your hazards I don't think this applies.
>>
>>14026113
>Mistake?
Yep.
>>
>>14026143

He means after they've changed lanes completely. Flash your lights at them when it's clear for them to pull in front of you, they'll almost always communicate back.
>>
This is how they say thank you in Japan. Look it up.
>>
>>14026150

I don't know... If the car in front of me starts flashing the lights, I would worry a bit.

I guess it's a cultural ting, I never saw this around my area.
>>
>>14026160

To be honest, I don't ever see cars do it, or flash their lights to signal someone to pull in front.

I blink at trucks when they're trying to pass me on the highway once they're clear and they usually flash their hazards or trailer lights once they have switched lanes.
>>
I always put my hand above my rear view as a thank you. And if you're letting someone in you flash your brights so they know they can come over.
>>
>>14026237

This is how it's done. I've driven plenty all over the US and both of these behaviors are the universal norm for cars and truckers. Hazards should only be used for an emergency, ie stopped on the side of the road or driving way below the speed limit or speeding to the hospital.
>>
>>14026100
My daily commute includes the norcal ramen touge, and everyone does this. It's a single curvy lane so you're a total fuccboi if you don't let people pass when they come up behind you, but you still acknowledge that they didn't have to pull over, and most people use the hazard lights.
>>
I flash my hazards if a truck lets me over since they are more likely to recognize that as a thanks. I wave or thumbs-up cars behind me if they let me over.
>>
>>14026100
Yes OP, I do it too. Truckers understand it more from my experience.
>>
>>14026100
>Would you interpret my brief flashing of my hazard lights as a thank you?
It meant to be right left right on the indicators, but sure.

There are many unwritten road signals. Including the 'fuck off from behind me you cunt' signal of drifting from side to side like I'm drunk, getting more and more violent with the wheel until the back of the car kicks out.
I hate tailgaters. Especially when I'm already doing 80 and can't move over because I'm overtaking something.
>>
>Indicate "out" to signal you are going past
>Indicate "in" to go back into your original lane once you pass
>Quickly indicate "out" and "in"

Thats it. Normal indicators then 2 quick flashes. Thats the truckers method.
>>
>>14026153
came here to make sure someone said this
>>
had a bunch of milf cunts i gave way to in their bmw and they didnt thank me

fucking whores i waited almost 40 seconds for her to reverse
>>
>>14026100 (OP)
In Europe it's common knowledge that one flash of hazards after you let them past means thanks.
also indicating right you let them know that they can overtake you.
>>
>>14028081
>In Europe it's common knowledge that one flash of hazards after you let them past means thanks.
Not in the you kay

Hazards are to be used when there is a HAZARD thats why they are call HAZARD lights. Quickly decelerating on the motorway? Thats a very common use of HAZARDS in the uk because it is a HAZARD
>>
>>14028230

It does in the you kay senpai.
>>
Semi trucks do it. But for a car just wave your hand. I spread out all my fingers to make sure it doesn't look like the finger.
>>
Here's generally how it works in the UK
Scenario one
>it's night-time or dark
>you overtake someone when there's a queue
>you're indicating to join the queue
>someone lets you in front of them
In this instance, you would use hazard lights and let them blink three times to express gratitude. The other driver 99% of the time will understand this expression. Same goes for allowing someone to exit from a non-priority into your priority, they will blink their hazards to show gratitude.

Scenario two
>it's dark or daytime
>you are coming down a road
>turning from a priority road into a non-priority
>have to give way to the right
>someone lets me in by flashing their lights at me
>I flash back to show gratitude
>>
>>14028230
>Thats a very common use of HAZARDS
That shit is automatic, bruv.
>>
>>14026100

I've been doing that for 25 years, though honestly, I doubt many people know what it means these days and I should probably stop.
>>
>>14026100
Why dont you just wave to them as you pass like a normal person. Or are you too autistic for that kind of interaction?
>>
>>14028273
I was thinking, I've never seen any one do this, ever.

But I do know about it.

The only reason I wouldnt do it because they wouldnt know wtf i was doing

Actually here's another example when I'll use hazards.

If im on the highway and traffic is coming to a quick and sudden stop from 60/70mph I may flash my hazards as a way to get peoples attention in the hopes that they dont rear end me
>>
>>14028525
>roll window down
>wind.mp4
>soundtunnel effect.mp4
>stick left hand out
>wait can they even see my hand?
>ahh shit were in a corner they deffinitely wont see it
>>
>>14026153
Source.
>>
>>14028580
>Source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrKFU9z0GQ
>>
I might flash my rear fog lights once or twice if someone lets me merge (only during the day though)
>>
i do that too, OP
>>
i've seen people do this in spain and the uk too, it's not just a japan thing
>>
>>14028047
>I'm already doing 80
Faggots like you make my nerves hurt.

Get the fuck over if you aren't doing at least 105.

105 is the magic number. But you still have tryhards in sports cars doing 140 every now and then on the weekends.
>>
Either stick my hand up as a thank you if they can see me or use my hazards if I've got both hands on the wheel.

That's how we say thank you in the UK. Then you get some ignorant prick who you let out of a junction and don't even say thank you.
>>
>>14026131
Bus drivers do it as well.
>>
>>14031064
same here OP. I once saw a guy do it to me after I let him pass and I've been doing it ever since
>>
It's a common thing over here. Everybody does it, everyone understands.
>>
>>14026100
No more than two flashes though, otherwise it looks like you're about to pull over or have car trouble.
>>
>>14034048
This. More than a couple blinks and you're actually using them as hazard lights.

Otherwise, can't really be construed as anything else if you ask me... Saw truckers do it on a long trip at night one time. I'd flash my high beams to let them know they can merge in front of me (since I assume it's hard to tell when all you can see in a mirror is two lights) and they hazard light back after merging.

There aren't many occasions where I, a car driver, feel the need to do it (where a wave doesn't work) since I'm just not usually putting myself in positions to rely on the courtesy of other drivers, but it's definitely a big thing with truck drivers here.
>>
>>14026100
i turn my headlights off and on for thank you's.
>>
File: saitama.png (689 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
saitama.png
689 KB, 1024x576
>>14032347
>>
>>14026100
thats how truckers do it.
>>
When I get around to doing some other work behind the dashboard, I'm planning to add a momentary switch that turns on the four-ways without the flasher. I've often got stuff blocking my back window so I can't wave at people and I feel bad about not being able to say thanks.
>>
>>14032347

I think you have kph confused with mph friend
>>
>>14038953
No. I meant miles per hour.
>>
The hazards are for hazards.
Like having to slow down considerably, or warning others of dangers such as animals on the road / roadside, that might be missed by the drivers around you.

A quick alternation of the indicators is the common signal I've been taught and what I've seen people use towards me.
>>
>>14039345
get pulled over, retard
>>
>>14026100
When truckers pass each other, the courteous ones flash their headlights briefly to let the passing truck know its clear to pull back into the right lane after the pass.
then the passing trucker have a switch to briefly flash their tail lights at the passed truck to say thanks

average motorists probably doesn't know of this and would misinterpret such signallings
>>
>>14039818
get out of the left lane, retard
>>
>>14026100
It means you want to race. At least here it does.
>>
>>14026100
I would appreciate it, OP. I give my hazards a quick flash or two as a thank you if someone moves over or for truckers who are more likely to know what it means
>>
I'd interpret that as "get away from my car before it breaks even more than I just detected and goes out of control or something."
>>
I usually drive with the window down so I'll give them a wave if I can, but in my miata I'll give them two blinks of the hazard lights if I can't wave for whatever reason.

In my daily though, the hazard button gets stuck and I have to fuck with it to turn them off, so I wouldn't do it then.
>>
>>14039353
found a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrKFU9z0GQ
>>
>>14041294
whoops didnt mean to quote you
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.