[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone redpill me on air suspension? I.e, how itd work out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 7328530870_a09faf5dd9_b.jpg (373 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
7328530870_a09faf5dd9_b.jpg
373 KB, 1024x680
Can someone redpill me on air suspension? I.e, how itd work out for daily driving, handling improvement, etc.
>>
As far as I know, its so you can have a low car but also go over shit.
>>
>>14023886
That's why I'm interested. So when you drive you can set up a higher clearance? And how will it feel? Soft and cloudy like luxury suspension or just better than stock? Or perhaps even worse?
>>
>>14023901
If you want to hellaflush it, airbags are the only smart choice so you can raise the suspension to proper clearance.

It will ride like absolute shit though, and rattle your bones.
>>
>>14023942
Ride quality is shit all the time? Or just when dropped low
>>
>>14023942
>It will ride like absolute shit though, and rattle your bones.

nope
air ride is great for comfort
>>
>>14023987
Not the ones that lower cars.. Yes, the specifically designed air rides in luxury cars are comfortable. Not ones that have to be filled all the way just to get the car back to a normal ride height.
>>
>>14024021
What's better, coilovers for an inch or two drop or bags?
I just want a weekend twisty fun car
>>
File: papercut.gif (1 MB, 260x167) Image search: [Google]
papercut.gif
1 MB, 260x167
>redpill
Piss off
>>
>>14024501
When you were younger did you imagine growing up to be an edgy faggot loser on a Taiwanese paper mache website getting mad at memes?
>>
>>14024486
depends on what coils you're going to buy

lowering a car is easy to do and cheap if you're going to be doing some retarded ebay haggard garage level stupidity. do some research and find out what will actually make your car handle better.
>>
niggerz
>>
>>14024486
lowering springs and some upgraded shocks/struts

coilovers are going to be stiff and rattle, especially for a DD
>>
>>14023987
How fucking dumb are you? Have you ever worked on a car? Factory air ride on a Town car is comfy. A bagged low rider is not.
>>
>>14024653
>rattle
no they won't. unless you get shitty ebay ones.
>>
>>14024983
Is $2K on bags considered ok?
>>
>everything needs air ride

Fuck off Aaron
>>
Ride quality for air ride depends a lot on the quality of the damper, just like a coilover. You can have a high quality damper setup for comfort or performance. Even a high quality long travel damper setup for performance can be more comfortable than a shit tier parts store replacement setup for low travel (relative) like most OEMs are. The best air bag systems out there let you run almost any shock you want from low quality to the highest quality. They also use bags with valves so that you can maintain a near uniform spring rate relative to the ride height so that ride quality isn't demolished. I've seen an identical car run multiple laps on the same course with the same driver running performance bags and performance coilovers. The results were a wash when averaged out and the bagged version actually had a slightly quicker best lap.
>>
Holy christ this board is retarded. OP PLEASE READ THIS POST.

Ill lay it out for you.

Coilovers are GENERALLY going to be more preformance oriented than their air suspension brothers. Reason being is that they are actual spring coils over a shock absorber (hence the name). You can chose your spring rate and alter dampening settings, which In turn will change how your car absorbs bumps, and also how the car will corner, and react under braking/acceleration. There's lots of adjustability with coilovers.

Airbags on the other hand replace the spring coil with quite literally a rubber bag filled with compressed air. Shock absorber is still there, but the spring is not. The way bags work is by expanding or contracting, and thus raising or lowering the car. While bags aren't usually put on any kind of performance car, there are some companies like AirRide (I think that's the name), who's bagged setups are very comparable to coilovers, according to track times.

In sum, if you want stance, go bags. If you want performance, personally I'd go coilovers.

If you need any other questions answered I'm here to help.
>>
File: 81560.jpg (66 KB, 400x248) Image search: [Google]
81560.jpg
66 KB, 400x248
my truck is lowered 4 1/2" I've got airbags that fit inside of the coil springs in the front

for the most part i leave them deflated but if I'm going down a dirt road or over sketchy terrain ill pump them up so it lifts an inch or two to add clearance to my a arms

in the rear I've got Firestone bags over leafs and i only fill them if I'm hauling something heavy
>>
Hood ones are fucking expensive, I don't see a point to be honest. You're better off with two sets of suspension.
>>
File: strutbig.jpg (23 KB, 230x430) Image search: [Google]
strutbig.jpg
23 KB, 230x430
>tfw aftermarket hydropneumatic suspension will never be a thing
ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ADD RESERVOIRS IN THE ENGINE BAY, CJ.
>>
>>14027997

I always wante to get a shitroen chassis with the hydrothingamagig and dress it as a better looking car
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.