[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about the "lesser" trims of models?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Porsche 911 Carrera S 2012 (2).jpg (329 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
Porsche 911 Carrera S 2012 (2).jpg
329 KB, 1280x850
How do you feel about the "lesser" trims of models?

Would you ever want to own a 340i rather than an M3, a 911 C2S instead of a GT3 RS or Turbo S, etc.?
>>
Yes I would. With premium sports cars even the basic motorization is already plenty powerful, and they're usually also cheaper to find, cheaper to run and more suited to daily driving in their suspension setup.
>>
I'm so terrible about this and I know it. I would never buy an NA SW20, or a 1.6 miata, or an NA Supra, or anything. It's bad, it highly restricts my options when car shopping. I don't know why I care so much.
>>
Please stop talking about rwd cars it's making me sad
>>
In some cases, yeah.
I mean in almost all cases you can buy the base model and make it faster than the premium model for less money.
But some people just want to buy it and be done with it.
>>
If there are significant differences like >>14020739 said, then nope. top tier or nothing.

If the differences are purely cosmetic or other bullshit, sure. No fucks. I'm a cheap ass.
>>
>>14020689
Buying new, I'd only take the cheaper trims. You're pretty much always going to be able to build the lower trim to be better for less money. After depreciation sets in, it's usually better to go for the higher end model.
>>
>>14020747
this, I'll take crank windows and cloth seats if it's got the better engine or diff or whatever
>>
>>14020689
Indeed I would. Up here in Norway, which has the worlds worst government when it comes to cars, the lower trim models make a huge difference in the tax of a car. Say a new BMW 550i has a base price $65000, and then theres about $60000 in tax on this vehicle according to BMW own prices. Which means that the price of this 550i would come to a total of $125000 here in Norway. As for the M5, which has a base price of about $75000, gets taxed as hard as $130-140000 according to BMW Norway. This brings the total price of the M5 to about $215000. And everyone up here think its the way it has to be.
>>
>>14020689
Depends on what the trims offer.

If a lower trim has a different engine, less stout parts or significant suspension changes, then no. It's not acceptable to go that low. That's just being a poser. If it's like audio shit, nav and ambient lights or heated seats then that would be up for debate if I decided to buy the car. Heated seats are godly.
>>
>>14020848
jesus christ I am so sorry
>>
> 911 C2S instead of a GT3 RS or Turbo S

yes

thats basically the only realistic way of owning one

you can always get gt3 bumpers :^)
>>
File: 1322530685563.jpg (22 KB, 279x440) Image search: [Google]
1322530685563.jpg
22 KB, 279x440
>>14020739
>not buying an N/A supra and dropping an aristo 2JZ in it
>>
I would buy a base 911 any day.

Also this>>14020725
>>
>Looking at used cars
>It's not the best trim with the best performing packages
>the car owner knows this so they put the badges and other optional equipment on the car that the better packages would have
>Have to go fucking look at it to make sure it's really what it is
>Every Mustang
>Literally every mustang
>Mfw I'm going to buy a mustang new or from a dealer just to avoid this
>>
>>14021391
All you need is the vin to verify the trim. I saw a fucking base Impreza with WRX badge on the back and the guy was trying to sell it as a WRX. Really wish I could have been there for the first guy who wants to see the engine bay and asks where the turbo is.
>>
>>14020689
The base model is best always.

First, the single con:

>maybe 1 second slower to 60, the only real con

Now all the pros:

>typically more reliable

>easier to work on engine

>better mpg

>usually doesn't require premium fuel

>cheaper to purchase

>not as rare

So you'd have a car that looks as good as the premium model, Is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, is more reliable and gives you better mpg.

You get all that, and it only cost you around 1-2 seconds more to 60. Big deal who gives a fuck, there's always going to be someone faster anyways so fuck it.
>>
>>14021405

>Uncle buys 1989 Mx6 from his buddy
>It has the GT badges on it
>He lets it sit for 6 years between 1999 and 2005
>Finally get to looking at it in 2005, after reading a bunch on them
>Very surprised that someone in my family could have such a good manual turbo car
>He gives it to me for free and says I can have it
>I start trying to work on it, fix it, and turn the engine over
>pop the hood and it's non turbo
>His buddy had tricked him into thinking it was turbo
>I junked it the next day
>>
>>14020689
Specific to your example:
Anything more than a 911 S for most driving on roadways becomes a bit un-usable, at least in any urban area. The problem is over a certain power you just can't use it so you end up driving at super low RPMs all the time and are already speeding way over. Driving a Turbo S you lightly tap the accelerator and then lightly tap the brakes - it's a bit ridiculous.

More generally:
It just depends, I do feel like a pleb sometimes driving my non decked out cars, but I think less so as I get older and just buy what I need. Also power wise a lot of the mid tier engines are pretty good, and the highest ones are just a bit more than I need.
>>
The reason I went with a lesser trim was because it would be more comfortable as a daily driver. I really am not into racing, but I do plan on getting a real performance car eventually.

T. Carrera Manual owner.
>>
>>14021413
>Yo, where is the hood scoop m8?
>Switched it for a normal hood and got a front mount intercooler to be more sleeper LOL
>Oh, ok
>Where's the front mount intercooler?
>Oh it's right here man, thing is gigantic. Best on the market.
>Yo dawg that's the radiator. This isn't a WRX is it?
>I KNOW WHAT I GOT, PRICE IS FIRM
>>
>>14021415
>M4 is now $150k
>>
>>14020769
If you think about it, this means that the lower trim will depreciate much faster.
And no one cares that you "made it faster than stock top trim" with your sikc mawds. In fact, it lowers resale value even further.
>>
File: pepe-implying.jpg (27 KB, 508x524) Image search: [Google]
pepe-implying.jpg
27 KB, 508x524
>>14021415
>Implying Nissian hasn't been caught cheating with press cars multiple times
That car is fast but the press cars are bullshit.
>>
>>14020848
I see now why every other guy in Oslo drives a Tesla. I guess they don't get taxed, so they are the poorfag option.
>>
>>14021432

Totally agree. Say you buy a V6 mustang. Then put some supercharger on it that brings it up to the horsepower of the V8 stock.
What was the fucking point?
You're just adding displacement and pressure to an inferior engine to make it use just as much gas and sound worse than a V8.

But I still do respect guys that build power out of the V6s. No one does it.
IF I bought a new car I'd put in the extra dollars to get something really nice. Since normies that don't care about cars always get the cheapest worst performing version.
>>
>>14021445
>v6 mustang

those are shit

a fair comparison would be a v8 vs a shelby, if it has proper performance mods it will keep its value
>>
>>14021420
I really don't care about lap times dude, I said that in my post. I just wanted a comfortable, compact, 2-seater luxury car for daily use and I got that.

If I wanted a performance car, I would've bought a performance car. I actually plan on buying a performance car sometime late next year.
>>
>>14021449

I thought we were just talking about any vehicle compared to base trim.
There is a thread going on where a guy bought a Veloster without the turbo.
And that speaks enough for bad base trim versus better options.

I do agree however. New Edge Saleens have held their value like a motherfucker. While you can get a V8, with mods that has way more horsepower than a saleen for $4000 easy.
Albeit, Saleens are probably that expensive just because they're rare.
>>
>>14021458
>didn't look at name
Oh, that's why.

But seriously, you're going to keep badgering an old man because I wanted a comfy and fun ride? I have 2 other cars I can use if I want to have more than 2 people in my car, otherwise I just drive mine.
>>
>>14021467
If you are responding to someone named Alphonse you need to just filter him. It's a troll.
>>
>>14021472

It seems really jarring to have one guy filtered, and then the whole thread be full of replies to a post I've filtered.
Can we at least get a janitor or moderator to ban him?
/o/ isn't as active as /tv/, but they were adamant about banning bane posts.
>>
>>14021478
He uses VPNs, even when the mods do ban him, he comes right back.

They need to do like the /k/ mods did, and banned anyone who uses the name. They did that with Squid, and now he rarely posts, when for months the board was dominated by his shitposts, derailing threads, and being a general nuisance.
>>
>>14020743
I don't know why, but I found this hilarious.
>>
>>14020848
What the fresh hell.
>>
>>14021432
I don't buy cars just to sell them. I buy cars because I want them. If I have an option between buying a badge and a bunch of compromises, or spending my money on exactly the car I want, there's only one option that makes sense.

>>14021445
Shit, with the current generation Mustang, there's no reason to buy anything but the V6. You can make it faster and lighter than the V8 for like $3,000 less than buying a GT. If you're counting on keeping the car, why not save your shekels, and if you're not, why not lease?

>>14021463
Veloster Turbo is every bit as shit as the base model.
>>
File: 1404116391647.webm (2 MB, 478x538) Image search: [Google]
1404116391647.webm
2 MB, 478x538
>>14021418
I envy you, unless it's a 996
>>
File: 1445451071662.png (550 KB, 1260x2214) Image search: [Google]
1445451071662.png
550 KB, 1260x2214
>i'm fine with base models
>kucksheds are just as good as my own home
>>
YEEEEAJ
>>
File: AX GT500.jpg (229 KB, 2094x1470) Image search: [Google]
AX GT500.jpg
229 KB, 2094x1470
>>14021688
Shit's hot as hell. Would face-rape.

>>14021722
Lol'd.

>>14020848
Honestly thought the 60k$ was a typo until you summed it up. And I'm Yuropoor... It's totally bonkers.

Are the taxes for luxury cars, for gas guzzlers, or both?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.