[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
most power for you pesos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: 3rd-gen-supra.jpg (112 KB, 2028x841) Image search: [Google]
3rd-gen-supra.jpg
112 KB, 2028x841
So I'm hopefully going yo be finishing up with my miata soon and selling it by spring.
My subaru is stored in my garage and I miss the turbo alot but I don't want to build the block for more power as she's already pretty maxed out at 320.

So I'll have around 4k to buy another fun car once the miata is gone and I was looking for another fast car. While I know 4k isn't alot for a fast car I'm not afraid of age or work. Also the 4k doesn't include mods, I'll be modifying too so keep that in mind.

My idea was a mk3 supra turbo. 7m can hold around 400 ponies on a relatively stock block with a good head gasket upgrade. And even more if tou toss pistons in.

What would you buy in this budget for bigish power without a complete engine build.
I was also thinking foxbody but I really don't like the looks and am very partial to the supra so far. Thoughts br/o/s?
>>
>>14018742
C4 Corvette or LS400. For some reason, LS400s seem to be significantly cheaper than Supras. Buy one, strip the shit out of it, and W58 swap it.
>>
>>14018742
SN95
Fox
Turd Gen
Catfish LT1
Catfish LS1
Mark 8
Gbody
C4
DSM
300zx
Miatswap
240swap
Old truck
>>
>>14018766
Because supras are a limited production sports car and ls400 is mass produced 2000kg grandpa barge?
>>
Z31 turbo or Rx7 Turbo 2
>>
>>14018828
> rx7 tii
This to he honest if you have half a brain
Can squeeze a decent amount of extra power out of them before you need to start upgrading injectors fuel pump new ecu turbo intercooler etc
>>
>>14018793
>Implying third gen Supras aren't as common as Civics
>>
>>14018828
>Z31 turbo
More expensive and less powerful than an NA Z32, and you can make up the difference in weight just by stripping out all the smog shit.
>>
>>14018844
You can get like 250whp on mostly stock equipment. You can't get much more out of the Supra or Z31 on stock equipment either. Plus the Rx7 is a lot lighter, so that 250whp goes a lot farther.
>>
>>14018828
What about z31 NA....
>>
>>14018880
But you can easily make more power from them. You can't squeeze out much more power from the n/a VG30DE, and the compression is too high for turbo. I think you are missing the point of high hp build.
>>
>>14018895
See: >>14018880, except replace NA Z32 with SN95 V6 Mustang. The Mustang will probably turn better, too.
>>
>>14018895
NA is fine, the compression isn't much higher than the turbo and holds up to boost pretty good. You will need to go turbo though. Some n/a builds have been done, one guy made close to 300whp I believe. He spent a fuck ton though.
>>
>>14018905
>Turning up the boost on a non-intercooled air cooled single T25 on a 3L V6
I could count the engine life in minutes. On my fingers.
>>
>>14018777
Slow (4.6 2v is a turd)
Good potential
Turd
Wannabe ls
Not in budget
Boat
Boat
Slow
Possible but always piles/ broken/ already have a wrx making similar power
Possible but the tt is hard to find
Don't want a miata
Hate 240s
Fuck trucks

Most of this list won't touch the supra is the thing
>>
>>14018887
As I said I'm not planning on keeping the supra stock. Bigger turbo / intercooler along wits lexus afm and a boost control are a good start. I'm not stranger to thus as my subaru has basically all this already plus More
>>
>>14018932
This defeats the purpose of my question tho
>>
>>14018979
Then the answer is no
>>
c4

the ultimate bang for your buck (not just in a straight line either). nothing else comes close.
>>
>>14018961
why do you want a tt
how can you hate 240
god damn anon what is wrong with you
>>
>>14019033
I'm looking for horsepower anon, I have fun cars for the twisties. I'm literally looking to make the most raw power to the wheels without cracking open a bottom end
>>
>>14019037
Because the na 300zx is pigfat. My goal is to make power and the na makes it pointless. If I were to get a tt I'd be going to upgrade turbos and push more power, but I think the supra has much more potential in this area, especially cost wise too
>>
>>14018887
>You can get like 250whp on mostly stock equipment
can push over 300whp if you hi-flow the stock turbo and use bigger injectors, anything after that it runs out of breath and is under too much stress.
the off the bat potential of 13bt's is severely underestimated by a lot of people
>>
>>14019037
Also I hate 240s because my good friend has an s14 that he never shuts up about how he's going to v8 swap or ls swap or Sr swap or turbo the ka or run on atomic power....I get a text about once a week with what he's going to do to it yet the thing is rusting out from underneath itself and none of this will ever happen. Also every 240 I've ever seen has corners cut and fit and finish on mods are always shit. Basically 90% of the owners can't make something interesting enough and nice looking enough for me to give a shit about wanting one. I hAve seen some well build 240s but most are shit.
>>
>>14019088
If I searched hard enough I might be able to find a turbo fc in budget but can the 13b handle 400 horse without opening?. My buddy just got an 88 yesterday, na and he plans on turboing it eventually but I don't think you can get my hopeful power numbers from a stock 13bt can you?
>>
>>14019141
>400 horse without opening?
yes but it wont last long. youd have to open the engine, rebuild, bridgeport, dowel, stronger apex seals, corner seal springs, eccentric shaft oil jets, rotor bearings, stat gear, etc etc. good for 500hp, pushing boost hard you could reach 600hp. assuming you have a nice big turbo.
>>
>>14019116
So you hate the car because of the stereotypes surrounding the owners? That's pretty fucking dense.
>>
>>14019353
No, I hate shitiliy built cars. A rusty 240 with a zipptied bumper and an LS in it doesn't interest me. It's not my fault if the owners can barely finish their projects enough so the car isn't 5 different colors. There's just something about them were I have zero interest in ever owning one. In my eyes there are much more interesting cars I'd rather own. Ie) a supra, rx7 or 300zx. Something not every highschool dumb ass buys thinking he'll be the next formula d champion. Plus I hate the ka with a passion. I guess you could say I hate the owners but not really, I just hate the cars because of the owners I guess. Same way every subaru owner wears a monster hat, every 240 owner never finishing their car. With some exemptions as always.
>>
>>14019318
Good to know, I like wankels but I think I'll try to convince my friend to build his. So far my mind is still on the supra
>>
>>14019141
A 13B-REW can handle 400+ easy on a stock motor. 400 at the crank is possible, but really pushing your luck with the older 13B-T and 13B-RE engines.
>>
>>14019318
>Stronger apex seals
No this is wrong. Rotary aviation, OEM or Goopy seas at 2mm are best for almost any power. Maybe if you were pushing some ridiculous high number, 500 or even 600 not being high enough
>Doweled motor
Maybe on an S4 engine, but only when pushing 500whp. 400whp should be fine on a non doweled engine. Nice insurance if you have the money
>Corner seal springs
Upgrade to FD ones when you rebuild and your good. Not much more expensive than FC ones.
>oil jets
Never heard of this before
>stationary gears and bearings
For 400whp, I think you would be good. It would be pushing it, and if you have the cash upgrade them or if you want to get closer to 450whp.
What you do need is to port the engine. Bridgeport would be best, but not required. A good street port would do just fine. I forget his name but a guy on Rx7club had an n/a to turbo car with 400whp on stock ports. He ported soon after though. I'm not sure if he had upgraded stationary gears and bearings. I think he just used FD/Rx8 ones, which are very good upgrade from FC ones. Even S5 ones are a good upgrade from S4 because they are hardened.

If you want like 500, 600whp those upgrades are probably required. Sounds like a lot but isn't too expensive.
>>
>>14019897
13B-Ts should be studded for 400+ HP or you risk cracking the block. It's easy and doesn't actually require the engine to be dismantled, though. A twist bit, a bunch of tap holders, a die grinder, and a bit of ingenuity lets you drill clear through, end to end. Just do it one at a time and torque it down before moving on to the next one.
>>
>>14019933
>>14019897
See I love the idea of a rotary with this power.
But again supra has it beat still as I can toss pistons In a 7m and get to about 500 hp without much more work inside the motor.
I'm just wondering if anything else can come this close without in terms of engine work tho. Seem like nothing can.
>>
>>14019987
How does one replace pistons without opening the motor? It seems like at that point, you might as well just build the whole thing.
>>
>>14020086
I'm no engine builder and bottom ends are where big money comes into play.
While I most likely won't do pistons, as I've heard these blocks are fine to 400ish horse. If I wanted to get to around 500 that's when pistons would need to be done, at that point a clutch should go in and a freshen up done. Yank the motor and drop the oil pan and heads and take the connecting rods and pistons out whole. Probably won't do that right away and get to a point where I have nothing else to do put open the motor.
>>
>>14020086
Through the bottom. but you'd still want to take the motor out and apart so you can bore it for the new pistons anyway.
>>
>>14020183
I mean if I even want to think about this type of power with my subaru I've got a lot more work to do. That's why I'm lookin at the supra as I can go much farther before having to open the block
>>
>>14020183
Once you have the engine out and the head off, you should just replace everything since you've already done all the work and the parts themselves are cheap. The only really expensive bottom end part is forged pistons.
>>
>>14020193
Wouldn't you have to take the crank out to get the pistons past it? Then you'll want to replace all the bearings while you're in there. I really don't see any way to justify pistons without a bottom end rebuild.
>>
>>14020236
Not if you have the head off. While it would be at least justified to do bearings on the connecting rods I realistically wouldn't do much more. Theyre stout engines already and it's more to go wrong. While stupid, if you just pulled the head and pan, did pistons only and put it back together there is alot less work and you still have a motor that can handle massive power all at a low cost. Also without the risk of fucking up bearing clearances which is what I'd be nervious of
>>
>>14020304
Yeah, but for less than double the price and like 10% more work you could have forged rods, bigger bore pistons, new bearings professionally installed, and probably a billet oil pump and crank scraper because why not.
>>
>>14020335
You sure about that pricing, most engine builders would charge more than about 1200$ for having this done, I would think
>>
>>14020348
Yeah, if you ship an engine and a bunch of parts to Rebello or something. I'm saying you should just take your block, crank, and bearings to the machine shop at your local NAPA and say "install these, please." You're not building a 1500 horsepower engine, you don't need everything built to 0.000001nm clearances and lubricated with unicorn semen. You just need a guy with a micrometer and half a brain.
>>
>>14019933
S4 engines maybe, S5 should be good for 500+. The irons on the S4 engine are very weak and tend to crack. However, the power itself won't actually break it. If you start getting any detonation at those levels is when it will blow. That's why I said it is good insurance.

>>14019987
Z31 can get 400whp+ for around the same money. VG30ET is very stout, maybe more so than a 7M. The only problem is the head flows very poorly, but people have done 400whp+ on stock ported heads. The only weak point is the pistons, which go around 500hp. Everything else can take 700hp+.
>>
>>14020386
Now we run into the availability of a z31 turbo and the ease of modification. The supra is time tested and mods are already there and developed. While I have no doubt people can make power in the zxs I feel as if the backing isn't there and will require much more money to get the car to where I want.
Any links to build threads?
>>
>>14020589
The Z31 is a very tested car, but it won't be as easy to modify as the MK3. The aftermarket just isn't as big. It isn't hard, all the information is on the internet you just need to find it. Most aftermarket parts are there too, you just need to know where to look and there isn't as much of a selection. I'm too tired to pull up some build threads, just look on Z31performance, HybridZ and Nicoclub among others.

Money isn't an issue with the Z, many people have gotten past the 400hp mark with 2 or 3 grand into the engine. The drive train is very stout too on the Zs, not sure if that's an issue for Supras. The MK3 has the one up on aftermarket though, so it might be easier to build just because of that.
>>
>>14020836
Thats why I'm thinking the supra. Especially because I'll have options with my mods and might be able to save money or buy used parts easier. But it's nice to have another option to think about when shopping.
>>
https://youtu.be/Xt8dVITPi_o

https://youtu.be/Olas5UcsfsI
Bumping with some highway action
>>
Cgin
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.