[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT - Questions that dont deserve their own thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: dumb-questions.jpg (44 KB, 460x362) Image search: [Google]
dumb-questions.jpg
44 KB, 460x362
Honest question edition.

Whos worse:
a) People driving manual who, at stops, sit all the time pressing the clutch on 1st gear, until its time to move.

b) People driving automatic who, at stops, sit all the time with the car on D and pressing the break until its time to move.

Why?
>>
a, I don't see anything wrong with B
>>
I have an econobox with an 9k RPM redline.
Engine is HR16DE, by Nissan. I usually shift at 2, 2.5K RPM. How much further can I push my RPMs before it being dangerous for this economy oriented engine?
>>
File: rainman.png (869 KB, 1051x993) Image search: [Google]
rainman.png
869 KB, 1051x993
>>14010469
What's wrong with b) you mongoloid?
>>
I've been looking for months for a celica supra in my area that's worth buying. All of the nice ones are across the country or way out of my price range. What do? Should I wait it out or look for another car? I've been looking on craigslist and the celica supra forums. Is there some other classified pages that I don't know about?
>>
c) OP with poor subject-verb agreement
>>
>>14010907
i dont think it redlines at 9k bro
>>
File: dash.jpg (45 KB, 890x470) Image search: [Google]
dash.jpg
45 KB, 890x470
>>14011113
You are right. Here's the thing.
>>
>>14011205
can't tell if b8, but that's 6.5, not 9
>>
>>14011219
Oh shit I'm clinically retarded, you are right.
It fucking went over my head.
I'll just go and drink to drown the shame.
>>
>>14011219

Lots of people think redline is where the engine tops out, not where the DANGER WILL ROBINSON zone begins.
>>
>>14010469
a) I do it only if it's a few seconds remaining till the green
>>
>got my driving exam tomorrow
>3 in 5 captchas or so are about wheelchairs

I'm scared, give me some advice.
>>
I recently got a '90 Volvo 240 DL with an automatic, and my last fillup i used the trip to measure and i got about 15mpg calculated. shouldnt it be closer to like 23?

it needs an alignment and exhaust gaskets replaced i know, and i suppose the outer fuel pump check valve needing replaced to could leak some gas, but 8mpg worth?
>>
>>14012035
Don't drive. Ever. In fact, don't leave your room.
>>
>>14012099
I would absolutely love that if it was possible.
>>
File: 57-6[1].jpg (216 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
57-6[1].jpg
216 KB, 1600x1059
Is the BMW SMG an actual manual (as in a foot-operated clutch pedal) or one of those stupid automatic fake-manual things?
>>
File: r8.jpg (71 KB, 824x457) Image search: [Google]
r8.jpg
71 KB, 824x457
How is the Audi R8? Never really paid any attention to it and it rarely comes up on /o/. Always been a fan of V10's.

The number of variants/models is confusing.
>>
Hey guys,

My power windows and sunroof is sticking a bit and I recently used silicon spray on one of the windows and now it glides silently and faster than ever.

http://www.crlaurence.com.au/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=62281&GroupID=55586&History=39324:55579:55582&ModelID=55586

I ran out of the other stuff but have a full bottle of this. Is it OK to use on car windows and even a sunroof?
>>
>>14012253
there is no 3rd pedal and its dogshit in traffic because it's kind of unpredictable.

apparently its pretty nice on a track though
>>
Does skipping gears hurt anything? Like if I rev out 3rd gear the whole way to redline and don't need to accelerate anymore so I just stick it in 6th rather than go 4th>5th>6th one after the other.
>>
>>14012253
It's an actual smg transmission

no, it doesn't have a clutch pedal

but it can be easily converted to a manual, you don't even have to swap the transmission.
>>
How can I tell a good dealership from a bad one, as someone who has never been to one?
>>
>>14013874
If the office looks shady or the prices are too good to be true, just walk away.
>>
>>14010469
>he still thinks automatics need to be put into neutral at a stoplight

I choose:

c) retarded OP
>>
>>14010469
Their is nothing wrong with either of those things what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>14010469
>b) People driving automatic who, at stops, sit all the time with the car on D and pressing the break until its time to move.

>implying there's any other way

OP is a dingus
>>
File: professional artist.jpg (42 KB, 1071x647) Image search: [Google]
professional artist.jpg
42 KB, 1071x647
Sorry for my terrible paint skills.

I'm arguing with a friend about proper signaling and correct entering at roundabouts. How would you enter and signal if

>you need to get to B
>you need to get to A
>you need to go around

Please assist.
>>
>>14016587

I'm confused... could you add arrows showing what direction the traffic travels on each lane?
>>
>drive car that has no tachometer
how do i know when my valves are about to launch through my hood and enter orbit
>>
>>14016605
>tfw I drew it wrong

Forget it, I'm just killing myself. Sorry.
>>
>>14016613

About the time when they are politely knocking on your hood and wanting to be let out

Play around with the car, feel where the power starts dropping off. Its all a matter of getting used to it, and you will feel if you're actually over the redline, trust me
>>
>>14016625
what if it's a shitbox with no power to begin with
>>
>top up oil
>accidentally spill a bunch of oil all over the valve cover and down the side of the block
>it gets into a bunch of nooks and crannies
should i expect smoke when my engine warms up?
>>
>>14016649

You'll still be able to feel the point where your power "drops"... just get out there and practice
>>
>>14016587
Assuming American:

>Signal right on entry
>Signal right on exit

Assuming A and B are literally right next to you, if you need to get to the furthest one from you, signal as soon as you are halfway passed the first one.

Person in the roundabout has right of way.
>>
>>14016771
>to you

*To each other.
>>
File: rsbgvrsw.jpg (992 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
rsbgvrsw.jpg
992 KB, 2656x1494
I somewhat recently acquired this 1948 Ford f6. I do plan on trying to get the flathead in it to run, and It'll stay that way for a while because I'm a poorfag. But top speed 60mph is fucking sad, I eventually want to drop a 12v cummins powerplant in the old girl. Of course I would keep the flathead around in hopes of a future project.

Pretty much everyone says I should keep it stock. What should I do? I'm personally not concerned with collectors value and I just want a big truck with some get up and go. Should I really just keep it stock and find something else to "hot rod?"
>>
File: product-mup.jpg (26 KB, 239x416) Image search: [Google]
product-mup.jpg
26 KB, 239x416
can i put this on my rusty ass shift linkages? hyundai excel, next pic is my shit linkage
>>
File: IMG_0233.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0233.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>14016944
>>
>>14016952
It won't magically fix the problem, but it'll be good enough til you can replace it with a new part
>>
>>14010469
How do I get mice out of my car? I have two of the little bastards in the spare tire well in my trunk. They keep chewing shit up and making nests.

I tried tomcat glue traps and it didn't work.
>>
>>14017001
no i mean will it damage anything in my transmission
i know this wd40 type stuff damages rubber so i'm worried about that sleeve thing
>>
>>14010469
How does the acura ilx transmission work with a torque converter and a dct? Does anyone have a diagram of how the transmission is laid out
>>
>>14017009
Depends on the type of rubber (some rubbers are petroleum based), but just be careful when putting it and you should be good.
>>
>>14017002
Replace spare wheel with a cat?
>>
>>14016662
itll smell like absolute shit and smoke. wash it down with some water or degreaser first so your whole car doesnt smell like burning oil
>>
>>14016816
thats a beautiful truck. and do what makes you happy. i personally would modify the fuck out of it, but like you said, stock has mad collector value.
>>
>>14017060
its all down the back where i can't really get to, all over the intakes and shit
it was maybe a teaspoon worth and i soaked up a good amount with a shitty rag
guess i'll see what happens
>>
The seat belts in my project car are shredded, whats a good place to order OEM replacement belts?

Theyre over the shoulder/lap belt combo.
>>
>>14017066
oh if its just a teaspoon that wont be bad at all.
even if it were more, it wouldnt be dangerous so much as unpleasant. there has to be a LOT of oil on your engine before it starts to smoke enough to freak you out
>>
File: im retarded help.jpg (49 KB, 463x436) Image search: [Google]
im retarded help.jpg
49 KB, 463x436
Roundabout retard from before here. Sorry for the shitty image and stupid question.

Driving exam is tomorrow and I'm arguing with my friend that has a license and my father about how to signal properly when entering the roundabout.

It's a two lane in case it's not clear from the image. Blue is where we're coming from. We're driving on the right side in my country.

From my understanding if:

1. I want to exit at the first exit, I would ideally enter from the right hand lane without signaling, and I will signal before exiting.

2. I want to exit at the second exit, I would ideally enter from the right hand lane, signaling left, then signal right as I'm about to exit.

3. I want to make a U turn, I would ideally enter from the left hand lane, signaling left, keep in the left lane in the roundabout, then signal right before exiting.

Am I wrong? I feel like I'm gonna drop my spaghetti hard tomorrow.
>>
>>14017401

>1. First exit
Signal right before entering, enter in the right lane and keep to it and exit right. Signal on the entire time
>2. Second exit
Sounds about right

>3. U-turn
Sounds about right
>>
>>14017421
>>1. First exit
>Signal right before entering
Why? He's going forward into the roundabout
>enter in the right lane and keep to it and exit right.
This part is OK
>Signal on the entire time
He needs to signal on time. If he keeps the signal on all the time it confuses other drivers (someone might think it was left on by mistake)
>>
File: sign.jpg (11 KB, 379x386) Image search: [Google]
sign.jpg
11 KB, 379x386
>>14017463
>>14017421
G-Guys?

Sign before entering looks like this if it helps. And there are no road markings or signs for the direction of the lanes in this particular place.
>>
>>14017463

He is in the right lane, and taking the first exit. By having his indicator on the car going with the blue arrow can earlier tell that its good to go as long as the coast is clear and there aren't anyone else that could pose a danger

The indicator is not on for a long time, it will not confuse anyone. And if it does that should mean that the confused driver would stay defensive and not drive out infront of the driver, preventing an accident if the driver indeed has forgot to turn of his indicator and the automatic release hasn't... well, released
>>
>>14017064
Cool thanks man! I think I'll try to do only things that could be easily undone in the future and keep literally everything I take off of it. I don't think the cummins swap will take too much in the way of frame modification, I'll probably get an old dodge doner truck so I can just swap the transmission and rear as well. I've already talked to someone willing to help with the endeavor should I decide to do it.
>>
>>14017487
I have yet to see a clockwise roundabout in a country that drives on the right side of the road. Also, notice the spiral on the sign. It also tells you that the roundabout is counterclockwise.

>>14017490
He doesn't need the indicator to enter the bloody roundabout. He only needs to indicate leaving it (in a timely fashion).
>>
>>14017490
Putting my faith in you benzbruh. If I get failed be prepared to be tortured by the thought for the rest of your life.
>>
>>14017558
I never said it was clockwise.
>>
>>14017561
>And there are no road markings or signs for the direction of the lanes in this particular place.
>>
>>14017566
That doesn't imply it's clockwise. Maybe I worded it poorly, but what I meant was pic related.
>>
>>14017574
So you're referring to the two lanes going into the roundabout? There's no need for such markings. See your own pic >>14017487. That sign tells you all you need to know.
>>
>>14017603
Well yeah, just thought I'd mention it in case it helps.
>>
>>14017026
>cat addition
>mouse delete
>+20 hp
>>
Can anyone link me to the video where, in a rally race, the driver barely misses hitting sideways into a rock entrance, and the copilot goes "Jesus Christ", and the driver gives no fucks?
>>
My sunroof fell off, /o/.
I was driving down the highway, heard a thunk, and my sunroof was gone. Just the glass, not any of the mountings. It flew off, hit the road, and got rekt.

I dunno how the fuck it happened, but now all I have covering my car is the sun shield, which isn't waterproof and can be easily moved aside from outside.

I priced a replacement on ebay at $200, which I can't afford. What can I do to keep my car from getting burglarized and wet?

It's a 94 Civic, by the way.
>>
>>14017910
Lmao at your life
>>
>>14010469
I just got my license yesterday. What's wrong with a)?
>>
>>14017916
I know m80.
No one I've told has ever heard of a sunroof flying off. This is some universal buttfuckery aimed right at me.

>>14017940
>foot slips off clutch
>car lurches forward
>wreck
My foot has slipped like that when I walked through the rain before getting in my car, so it's a valid concern.
>>
>>14012088
Yeah it should. Clean everything having to do with how your car breathes (air filter and shit like that), check and replace spark plugs, and fuel pump bits. The plastic splash pan can be used to recoup about 1 mpg or so as well. If you live on the west coast orders from ipd will get to you quicker while FCP Euro ships faster if you're on the east coast.

http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10081/top-10-common-issues-with-volvo-240-models
>>
Greetings /o/, just wanna confirm I'm doing it right. I have oil leaking from between the #4 exhaust port and the header flange, it's no exxon valdez but a few degreases have verified it is definitely coming out here. The internet is telling me this is likely a blown ring or a failed exhaust valve, as such I'm about to go buy a leak down tester to see what I can find.

I'm planning on setting that cylinder to TDC, popping a chunk of hose on the block breather port and running my test, listening for air coming out the breather, or through the exhaust. If it is a leaky exhaust valve would I hear it through the exhaust pipe or should I be pulling the exhaust manifold off? Is there anything I'm missing?
>>
>>14018269
I should confirm, there are no obvious signs of head gasket failure, no contamination of coolant/oil, no smokey exhaust or other signs of performance degradation. I only noticed the leak while replacing the thermostat housing a few weeks ago otherwise I would still be unaware of it.

Cheers lads.
>>
When I start my car after a while, it starts at around 1k rpm then jumps maybe 500 then drops down to idle

It's like it starts halfway then completely turns over a second later

Battery is 7 years old
>>
>>14018413
start by replacing the battery and work your way from there. i think most batteries are only meant for 3 or 4 years anyway.
>>
If a motor makes about 17/25mpg in a car that weighs 3500lbs, should i expect to see better gas mileage in a vehicle with the same motor but 1000+lbs lighter? If there's a formula for this, what is it?
>>
My 2001 impala has a small coolant leak on the head gasket. It's not getting engine pressure due to the leak and won't start sometimes. I'm going to junk this car once I can get something newer. Probably in 6 months to a year.

What head gasket sealant should I use or not use? Is pure water glass aka sodium silicate the best?
>>
>>14018269
you should pull the manifold to check for valve blowby. since the gasket has obviously failed you'll be replacing it anyway.

but yeah thats how you do it.
>out of manifold(s): corresponding valve blowby
>out of breather: ring blowby

imo its probably a leaking valve seal.
you might notice a little air out of the exhaust anyway, even if the gauge reads green, since valve seats and valve faces naturally wear out over time.

either way, even if you get air out of the exhaust port that isn't whats causing your oil leak.
>>
>>14019215
its called newtons second law and the equation is force = mass x acceleration
>>
>>14019215
I have heard the rule of thumb that for every hundred pounds you lose, you gain one or two MPG, all other factors being equal. Obviously that's not that going to hold true on very high or low displacement engines, but arguably you could be looking at between 10-20 mpg better fuel economy.
>>
>>14017994
thank you.
>>
File: warn.jpg (26 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
warn.jpg
26 KB, 500x337
I want to buy the bumper on pic related. The specs sheet says that it weighs 175lbs.

How much will the affect the ride of a daily driver? Another concern is the truck in pic related is a V6 when mine has the 4cyl 22RE.

Will I even notice a difference? Maybe i'm overthinking it.
>>
>>14017499
Restore the old engine, drive it until you get a new engine, then swap them and keep the old engine for when you sell it.
>>
My 96 s10 runs fine when the engine is cold, when it gets up to operating temp it shakes like a motherfucker and the oil pressure drops like a stone and all power disappears. What would cause this
>v6
>4.3 vortex
>5 speed
>206k miles
>>
>>14020545
>slow as shit, vs slightly slower than shit
You'll be fine
>>
>>14020545
if you imagine the performance losses of driving around with a passenger it would be about the same. maybe offset a little lighter by the weight of the original bumper
>>
>>14020998
also the 4banger is the superior engine in that platform
>>
File: Tyler.jpg (128 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
Tyler.jpg
128 KB, 700x933
>>14020545

I had this bumper on a '92 22RE truck. Weight didn't make a difference at all.

Pic Related, was my truck.
>>
>>14021034
oops that comment was meant for >>14020998

>>14020998
on my s10 i had a similar issue, the temp gauge worked fine but the temp sensor connected to the computer was broken and stuck in an open/closed loop (cant remember which) it ran very rich
>>
>>14021074
I'll have to check that, ill take a look in the morning because lol no garage. Thanks anon
>>
File: 20150128_105516.jpg (806 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20150128_105516.jpg
806 KB, 2048x1152
>>14016816
Is that the truck off roadkill? Those flathead v8s are a fuckin nightmare, if it were mine I'd ditch it but up to you. We have one at work in pic related (1946 Canadian ford v8) and it starts and drives ok but it's not very powerful and we have to pull the heads off every few years (an easy enough job being side valve) and re seat or replace the head gasket. Does it have the turner 4 speed and 2 speed diff? You'll have fun learning to drive that. Short shift it thru 1st and second, then Rev out 3rd and 4th and then flick the diff up to high for overdrive. I don't know how to shift the diff back down to low, I think your meant to brake down to speed then flick the switch down and give it a big Rev and it will select it. I've never been able to do it without slowing down to walking speed first.
>>
I'm a delivery driver, and as such I need fairly frequent oil changes for all the miles I put on. Am I better off just changing every 3k miles with some basic conventional, or would it be more cost effective to use a nicer synthetic oil and change every 4-5k miles?

Have a 99 beater chevy.
>>
File: IMG_20151116_122631692.jpg (1014 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151116_122631692.jpg
1014 KB, 2592x1456
>>14011232
>Even knowing where the redline is
>>
>>14022604
It's entirely dependent on what you'd rather do. Cheaper oil change more often, or more expensive oil change less often.

What I'd do, since I'm a lazy fuck, is throw the few extra bucks down for synthetic. Even though oil changes don't take long at all, I'd still rather spend the time cranking my dick.
>>
File: p01838h7[1].jpg (25 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
p01838h7[1].jpg
25 KB, 624x351
I've recently been learning to drive manual and I have a few questions.

Is there a difference in fuel consumption between rolling in neutral and just holding down the clutch? Are there any other differences?

What are the risks of coasting?
>>
>>14022664

>Is there a difference in fuel consumption between rolling in neutral and just holding down the clutch? Are there any other differences?
i don't think so, but it leads to more wear on the clutch (i think)

>What are the risks of coasting?
less control. let's say you're coasting and some bastard is about to hit you from behind or some other situation where you have to change your position very quickly. when coasting it adds a little extra time to shift into gear before you can use your engine to get out of the way. also my stick shift instructor told me to always have the car in gear when going down very steep hills, but averagely steep hills it's okay to coast. for some reason there are a lot of people who are very anti-coast to the stop light.

i just started driving stick like a month ago so take what i say with a grain of salt
>>
>>14022664
>Is there a difference in fuel consumption between rolling in neutral and just holding down the clutch? Are there any other differences?
No. The only difference is keeping the clutch in excessively could fuck your throwout bearing.

>What are the risks of coasting?
/o/ will say less control but if you're coasting down to a stop you're not going anywhere if you mash the gas pedal in 5th/6th gear. If I'm 100% coming to a stop I'll leave it in top gear to about 20-30mph then roll in neutral the rest of the way.

>>14022847
>also my stick shift instructor told me to always have the car in gear when going down very steep hills
It's for engine braking so you don't fry your brakes
>>
>>14016625
That theory doesn't work, not all cars redline before the powerband is over. My civic pulls it's hardest right before I hit fuel cut, but I'm running a k20a3 with bolt ons and a stock ecu, revs to 6800 when it needs to get to 8k.

Before anyone says anything about dropping a valve or anything, every tune, turbo kit, and supercharger kit bumps it to 7700 and I've seen plenty of people run 8400 on stock valves.
>>
I live in Winnipeg and last week I got pulled over for speeding but the officer was sitting in a private driveway. He never moved his car he just threw the lights on and motioned me off the road. Can cops pull you over from a private driveway? Wouldn't they need some form of written consent or something?
>>
>>14022872
>you're not going anywhere if you mash the gas pedal in 5th/6th gear
best form would be to downshift the entire way. i remember reading some internet whatever saying in certain places you're not allowed to coast to a stop in neutral. would someone who has a bit more experience please comment
>>
Another thing to consider, along with the not so important control issues. Is that in newer cars with variable displacement and/or more advanced fuel maps you actually use more fuel when coasting in neutral than you would coasting in 5th. Coasting maps are much leaner than the base VE map.

It's minimal obviously, but if you're trying to squeeze maximum mpg might as well.
>>
>>14016625
Most production cars will make peak power just before (~500rpm) indicated red line. Otherwise their just wasting money building a drive train that can do 7k.

What you "feel" is the torque curve flatten out. Which is a perfectly reasonable point to shift, especially without a gauge.

But, by the time you "feel" hp drop you will be already floating valves.
>>
What happened to the toyota general?

Anyways, should I buy a 95 celica as my first car?
>>
>>14022960
He has to ask the homeowners permission, or he is using his own driveway. Either way, homeowner is a dickbag and should be treated with all the respect he deserves....
>>
File: 20151130_140918.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151130_140918.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Would it be possible to fix this myself? Dont feel like paying a shop as im going to sell it soon. I was planning on cutting the panel off, then doing a shit weld job to put another panel on. Dont care if it will look bad or isnt a good idea, just want it to be driveable for a bit
>>
>>14023251
I mean, you can try, but the unibody rails are for sure bent. The new panel won't line up for shit. It's basically a salvage car at this point.
>>
File: 1449808211502.png (297 KB, 749x700) Image search: [Google]
1449808211502.png
297 KB, 749x700
what website do i use to make dank alphonse baiting memes like pic related?
>>
>>14023257
Yeah i know its pretty fucked, i just need it to be driveable for a week or two at most. Pretty sure its just the frame thats hurt. All internald looked fine, underside looks good, and it will start and run. Do i have any options besides welding? Ive seen those car stitches, but i kinda doubt they would hold a whole panel very well
>>
Can anyone tell me some official meme cars of /o/? I want to drive around as an official memelord (senior year of high school, 18 btw) and I am not sure about which car I should get.
>>
>>14023297
Lurk more underage shitter. You aint 18.
>>
>>14023032
>in certain places you're not allowed to coast to a stop in neutral
I live in AL atm, and there is a law on the books which says you're not supposed to use neutal when coming to a stop on a hill. Granted, no one here drives manuals so if anything the law is antiquated and completely unenforced, but it's there. Bit of a curio for you, anon.
>>
>>14023313
Lol what? Senior year of high school bro, 18th birthday was in august.
>>
>>14017910
Find a welding shop see if they'll weld something over the hole

> can't afford a 200$ part....
>>
>>14017940
It Burns the clutch
>>
>>14023313
>not knowing how high school grades work
>calling people underage
>>
>>14023328
Proof?
>>
File: O-In a nutshell.png (25 KB, 1248x468) Image search: [Google]
O-In a nutshell.png
25 KB, 1248x468
>>14012099
>>14012127
I laughed my fucking ass off. Never change, /o/, never change
>>
>>14014001
other than wearing out your clutch prematurely if you do a), but you're right that there is nothing inherently wrong with leaving an auto in drive with your foot on the brakes.
>>
>>14021096
Yeah Roadkill did a truck exactly like this. It does indeed have the 4 speed and 2 speed rear. Thanks for the tips. It'll be a while before she's roadworthy.
I'm pretty much sold on swapping out the flathead and doing the cummins 5.9 and probably the NV4500 5-speed manual transmission. I'd also probably swap out the rear which would be great so I can ditch the fucking widowmaker split rims. I'm kinda keeping my eyes out for a donor truck but I'm in no hurry.
But yeah, nobody can really seem to provide me a good reason to keep the flathead other than "Hurr durr keep it stock man, It'll be worth more" It'll be worth more to ME if I can enjoy driving it.
>>
>>14021096
Also that's a pretty sweet looking old bus! But I can only imagine how miserable it must be to drive regularly.
>>
>>14017910
fuck getting a replacement, gut what's left and take the weight reduction- those things are heavy af.

In the meantime don't keep nice shit in the car, get a wheel lock, and a quick job to cover the hole that costs less than $10 is pretty much just get a clear plastic sheet at a hardware store, then epoxy it to whatever surface works best. You can use a box cutter to shape the plastic sheet. Kinda trashy, but it's the most functional of the cheap shit you can do. I did this to my 93' Nissan Quest when two of it's windows fell off, but I didn't give a rat's ass what happened to that car, so there's that.

Protip- epoxy does not work that well on the car's exterior
>>
>>14023436
while I wouldn't keep the old engine in the truck, I would try to hang on to it, it could probably be sold for some profit (too further fund the new engine!).

Please please please keep the exterior as stock as possible, those trucks are beauties, and it's a shame to see them hacked up. Be sure to keep us posted, anon.
>>
How do I into bikes?
19 yr old in Toronto, never rode one, none of my family ever rode, but I want it. How much will insurance be for me?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Dear o

You now realize that if you get stuck in a small hole of mud or hard snow etc, you can not "rock" the car loose with an automatic as you can with a manual car.

For me, a good reason to not drive an automatic.

>hurr i dd a lawnmover durr
>>
>>14016816
The the motor is not a solid chunk of rust try and get it running. worse case scenario sell it to someone who wants a flathead for something. They arent the best engines but have a unique sound and history that makes them worth saving.
>>
>>14023548
Depends on the bike your getting and if you have prior driving history
>>
>>14023480
Oh I'm not parting with the flathead. I would some day love to build a hot rod when I find the right old coupe or small truck and the flathead would certainly be my fist choice in engines for that endeavor.
I'm certainly going to keep the exterior stock. No top chopping, frame Z'ing or any of that shit. The most I might do is swap out the front axle for an F1 drop axle just to give the truck a bit of a rake and again get rid of the widowmakers, But I'm restoring the body and interior to original. That's how it looks best!
I will add a modern sound system but I plan on hiding the head unit in the glovebox and do my best to hide the speakers.

I'm documenting and photographing the whole restoration project and I full well plan on posting here regarding that truck often.
>>
>>14023664
Nah the motor looks solid. The exhaust manifold is rotted right the fuck off, but I planned on buying headers for it anyway.

Thankfully it will turn over by hand, it's not seized up and the compression feels good. I've had marvel mystery oil soaking in the cylinders for the last week. I believe the truck was topped off with all fluids when it was parked back in 1996, there isn't any antifreeze in the radiator that I can see though. but the cap rotted off and it probably evaporated I guess.

This weekend I plan on filling the radiator up and making sure there are no leaks, change the oil, put in a new battery and see if I can get the motor to turn over I'll have to figure out something to wrap the manifold with temporarily I think.
>>
>>14023296
stitch welding is stronger than the way the factory does it. the factory just spot welds them and uses seam sealer, basically just glue.

thats why the first thing anyone does when building a race car is go back and stitch weld everything.
>>
>>14023032
It's illegal here in France to coast in neutral.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
What is this shit? It was kind of all around the rad cap. I think this rad has had irontite run through it. Is it that or something wotse?
>>
>>14010469
Is there any way to check what a speed governor is set to?
I just got up to 95 in my truck today and I had always thought it was governed at 90 so I was surprised I kept going but I hit traffic so I had to slow down

I'm probably never going to go that fast again but I'm still curious as to what my truck is limited to since there is a bunch of conflicting info on the net
>>
>>14023336
It doesn't burn the clutch. It wears the Throw-Out bearing out a little, if anything.
>>
>>14024624
It's probably just stop leak building up if it's had irontite in it. That stuff can block hosed and cause problems I would flush the system and add new coolant some time.
>>
>>14017630
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7ws741KpE ari vattenan. "Dear god"
>>
File: 1361332647704.png (96 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1361332647704.png
96 KB, 480x480
>>14024185
>I'm not parting with the flathead
>I'm restoring the body and interior to original
>>
My power windows and sunroof is sticking a bit and I recently used silicon spray on one of the windows and now it glides silently and faster than ever. But I ran out of the other stuff but have a full bottle of this. Is it OK to use on car windows and even a sunroof?

http://www.crlaurence.com.au/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=62281&GroupID=55586&History=39324:55579:55582&ModelID=55586
>>
Shocks + springs or coilovers?
>>
I learned to drive in an automatic and my only car is an automatic. After delivering and driving steep hills, I started driving like it was a manual (eg. drop to 2nd and 1st with the gear-shift-that-isn't-a-gear-shift, 1st at red and wait to shift, etc).
Is this bad? Is there anything like a manual without a clutch pedal, or a different form of clutch? I feel like I would actually prefer manual if I had the chance to learn and try it myself, but feel like it would be too expensive.
For reference, I drive a 2012 Honda Civic, the compact sedan base model, without any modification.
>>
>>14025422
Manual cars are generally cheaper than autos just so you know.

Up shifting and down shifting for hills is fine but generally you shouldn't need to shift into first to go up hill unless it's a fucking mountain. So yes, down shifting and up shifting ridiculous amounts can do damage and one day you'll probably hit "the money shift". Use upshifting and downshifting in moderation or you'll need a new transmission.

Also don't use it in other situation either. It's an automatic and isn't meant for manual shifting.
>>
>>14025446
Damn.
Well, now I know better.
>>
>>14025422
It's fine.
>>
>>14025462
Just go easy on it. Don't do shifts if you're on a straight since you don't need it. For going up hill and down hill, 3rd should generally be enough but if it's really steep 2nd is also enough. Never first though on a hill, it could ruin the transmission.
>>
>>14025481
Also if it breaks, it isn't because of your shifting, it's because Honda automatics are garbage. Just sold the 2007 Civic EX I had with an automatic that was going out at 50,000 miles. It was originally owned by my uncle who drove it like a grandpa because it was just to get him to work and back.
>>
>>14025175
I love how you are not getting any answers. Yes silicone spray prolongs the life of rubber and wont degrade the glass. It does lubricate the moving parts and wont fuck with the motor.

Use at will
>>
Ford, Dodge, or Chevy for a quad-cab truck made <10 years ago?
>>
File: MUH_FAWKIN_TURBAWHS_BRU.jpg (269 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
MUH_FAWKIN_TURBAWHS_BRU.jpg
269 KB, 1024x683
So I'm about to get my first turbo'd car. Do I really need to let the car warm up and cool down each time I drive it? If so for about how long on each phase?

From what Google has told me letting it cool down after driving it hard is generally a good idea but thought a second opinion wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>14026968
>start car
>idle for 15 seconds
>drive, keeping revs a bit low until its up to operating temp

Don't really need to let it idle after a hard drive unless it was incredibly hard. A bunch of pulls on the street isn't going to need any cooldown, 60 seconds is the most I've ever cooldown idled mine, and only after hard toogay runs
>>
>>14013668
it doesnt hurt anything per say, but you are making the engine work hard for no reason. you should always shift at around 2k rpm. if you are just skipping one gear that isnt that big of a deal. i had a 3cyl geo metro that had a bad 4th gear syncro and I just had to skip it and go straight to 5th from 3rd all the time. wasnt that big of a deal.
>>
>>14010907
>>14011205
You can take it all the way up to the redline for short bursts as needed for acceleration and hillclimbing. Sustained use at those engine speeds, however, will overheat your oil and cause Problems.

>>14012088
If there's a significant amount of stop & go city driving on that tank, that actually might just be the best mileage you can get. It's hard to break 15 mpg in honest city driving. I got around 12 MPG when I was delivering pizza in downtown Seattle in a series of 4 cylinder econoboxes. Fellow delivery drivers with V6 cars were in the single digits.

>>14012307
I've heard good things about every big expensive Audi model.

>>14013874
Assume they are all bad.

>>14016613
Anything even remotely modern will have a rev limiter and/or and upshift light. Shift when you feel power dropping off OR see the upshift light OR hit the rev limiter, whichever comes first.

>>14016816
Keep it stock, get a different project.

>>14016952
That looks like a clutch linkage, not a shifter linkage. Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

>>14017002
Conventional mouse traps baited with peanut butter.

>>14017910
This is why you never buy a car with a sunroof

>>14018269
That is how I would do it. However I suspect you may not have found the true source of the oil - bad rings/valves would be my LAST guess for an oil leak, not first, and bad rings/valves would come with drivability symptoms.

>>14018413
That's pretty normal for a cold start. Many engines are programmed to hang around 1500 rpm for a few seconds upon starting to warm up before settling down to a slower idle.

>>14019215
Weight is the single largest predictor of fuel economy. 1 MPG per 100 lbs sounds a little high, I'd say maybe 1 mpg per 200 lbs. The Malibu and Cavalier with the same engine/trans had a 600 lb weight difference and 3 mpg economy difference.

>>14019279
K&W Fiberlock works well, for a temporary fix.
>>
>>14026928
Fordodgevy
>>
>>14020998
Sounds like multiple problems. One problem causing a single-cylinder misfire (and thus shaking & power loss), and another problem causing your low oil pressure.

Misfire is probably related to a failure in your injection spider, oil pressure fucked if I know, but at 200k miles no one is going to hold it against you if you drop a reman engine in it.

>>14022604
That depends on how long you plan to keep your car. Go synthetic and the longer intervals if you are trying to hold onto it for more than 100k miles. If you plan on scrapping/totaling it in that time period, do the conventional.

>>14026928
In that era, Ford for reliability, Chebby for economy, Dodge for comfort. Honestly they all perform very similar and it comes down to personal preference.
>>
>>14010930
>>14010495
Bright brake lights suck, F A M
>>
>>14023330
That's what I was thinking.

>can't afford a 200$ part....

Between the car itself and all the work I've done to it, including maintenance like tires, I don't have $1000 in it. I'm a poorfag and that's why I drive a Civic.

>>14027155
>This is why you never buy a car with a sunroof
Yeah, I won't make that mistake again.
>>
>>14016816

Mod the fuck out of it. Sell the flathead to a boomer with boomer tax
>>
>>14016816
Mod that motherfucker to the hilt.

As an aside, I love your truck and want it.
>>
Is it possible to properly cleanly wipe your ass with shitty 1 ply toilet paper?

At work they have this shitty 1 ply toilet paper. If I wipe too much with it it starts to hurt so I can't use it a lot. And if I don't wipe good, I start to rash, get itchy, and smell like shit.

I tried spitting on the TP to make it into an impromptu wet wipe, but that doesn't really help either. Thoughts?
>>
>>14024674

What year truck? Every truck ive ever had that wasnt a sport truck was governed at 100
>>
>>14023251
That car is totaled bro
>>14023269
There is no website you fool, dear lord stop falling for the troll
>>
>>14023648
What the fuck are you talking about you sperg? Put the car into D-N-R just as you would do with a manual transmission. Literally no difference.
>>
What do you guys think about this?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5299539360.html

I know the asking price is a bit high. I'm in need of a new car and I like the GM 3.8s.
>>
>>14027475
Wow you are a fag. Wipe til its raw and deal with the pain you mangina.
>>14027594
Those are pretty nice cars, good options, low miles, seems to be in good shape. That said its been on the market for a month so unless you completely suck ass at negotiating you should be able to get a deal. I'd buy that for 4500 tomorrow if it was local.
>>
File: 00N0N_kgna3dpYNcL_600x450.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00N0N_kgna3dpYNcL_600x450.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
>>14016587
American Driver's training instructor here, in my state it is never legally required to signal to exit a traffic circle, however it is recommended to signal immediately before one must exit.

You need to go to B - tag the turn signal immediately after entrance
You need to go to A - signal after crossing the exit point for B
You need to go around - Just do it stoopid and signal after passing A

Or option D is if you have a lifted truck simply drive over the roundabout through the middle, trust me people will get out of your way. Pic somewhat related, I've done this in my K5 that looks nothing like this one
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-12+at+04.15.19).jpg (313 KB, 1198x907) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-12+at+04.15.19).jpg
313 KB, 1198x907
How do I get this motherfucking o2 sensor out, /o/?

It wont budge no matter how much shitty beer and WD I throw at it.

>failing that, this *is* the oxygen sensor, right?
>>
How are early 90s chevy 4x4s at offroading?

Nothing serious but mid to high desert wheeling through washes, dried riverbeds and mudding if I get caught in rain.

General desert hooning with a manuel 4 speed and a 454 in a 92
>>
>>14017401
Didn't see this one yet
>1 yep
>2 don't signal left it's immaterial where you will exit so signaling on entry is redundant and unnecessarily repetitive and besides from how that one appears to be laid out if the left lane wants to exit they can go fuck themselves and go around again if the outside lane isn't exiting.
>3 enter from the left lane if possible, if not possible change lanes to the inside lane by signalling left from the outside lane before reaching the first exit if possible. >>14017463 said it well too.

So You're not wrong according to Washington State Law, other jurisdictions may vary
but if your driving exam is multiple choice your set of answers isn't the best answer.
>>
>>14027699
Try PB blaster and maybe a breaker bar? But yeah that is the oxygen sensor.
>>
>>14027635
Thanks broski.
>>
>>14027699
Actual penetrating oil, adjustable wrench, rubber mallet
>>
File: 82905-g2.gif (10 KB, 404x339) Image search: [Google]
82905-g2.gif
10 KB, 404x339
>>14027740
What? In not necessary to signal in Washington. Its also illegal to make a U-turn (on a 4-way). And you're not allowed to change lanes in them. That is why they have solid and short dashed lines. I've never seen one with passing lines before.
>>
>>14027699
you could apply a little heat to the bolt to loosen the thread
if there is not enough room for a gas axe you could try running the engine for a while instead
>>
>>14027740
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/roundabouts/

It is illegal to change lanes in a roundabout in Washington state. You are not allowed to change lanes in an intersection.
>>
File: roundy round.jpg (211 KB, 763x877) Image search: [Google]
roundy round.jpg
211 KB, 763x877
>>14027778
>Washington
Make a U-turn anywhere you please so long as it does not obstruct traffic or at the crest of a hill or blind area

>>14017401
Solid lines shall not be crossed, but dashed lines may be crossed if necessary as in the roundabout in the bottom left but on the bottom right the right lane fucks off somewhere else and is separated by solid lines

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/roundabouts/

again
>Washington
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-12+at+05.03.46).jpg (388 KB, 1265x935) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-12+at+05.03.46).jpg
388 KB, 1265x935
>>14027784
>>14027762
>>14027746

Got the bastard! Heating the engine up and giving the wrench some curry with a rubber mallet did the trick. Thanks guys.
>>
>>14027806
Ah I do concede that it is not legal to change lanes in a roundabout I was cornfused. I was wrong on the internet today, oh no.
>>
File: Yakima.png (1 MB, 1544x428) Image search: [Google]
Yakima.png
1 MB, 1544x428
>>14027850
>Washington
i hate roundabouts
>>
>>14027850
I fucking hate roundabouts where lanes randomly fuck off and you have to change lanes just to stay in them.
>>
>>14027930
Faggots like you kill people by not knowing basic traffic laws.
>>
Is the mileage on the sticky pic in kilometres or in miles? I know it says American edition but I found a 1998 BMW 3 series for $4000 Australian and its only done 120000kms which is way less than the sticky says is normal if it is miles
>>
So I'm having some troubles with my car and all signs point to a worn-out timing belt.
>P0340 and P0335 codes
>Shake that is most noticeable when the car is warming up
And last night my car struggled greatly to start up. I'm gonna make sure that it's not an electronic problem in a bit, but the timing belt is due to be replaced anyway.
I can't afford the $500+ labor a garage would charge me, but I'm a novice when it comes to car work. Is this fix totally undoable for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing, or should I be able to manage if I strictly follow the service manual and do my research?
>>
File: 20151212_093345.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151212_093345.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
What is this light on my 1992 Miata for?
>>
>>14028895
When you reach optimal RPM for a gear shift the light will turn on. If you shift fast enough at the correct time, you earn extra points and get a speed boost.
>>
Anyone here know shit about toyota trucks? I want to swap my engine and tranny but if i do so the front 4x4 output will be on the driver side instead of the passenger side, can i swap the front differential from a 2002 to a 1994? Or is it too long/wont fit?
>>
>>14028988
kek
>>
>>14028608
It all depends on the car, rwd will be much easier to work on than fwd. Have you worked on cars before? Do you have the tools that are necessary? Breaker bar? Torque wrench? Air gun? Can you remeber how everything goes back together? If you're going to do it yourself get a timing belt kit so you can replace the idlers, gaskets, and water pump.
>>
Is this a Capri or a Mustang? It looks more like a Capri outfitted with a Mustang hatch and steering wheel rather than a Mustang outfitted with Capri body panels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-GT-/252208320908?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab8c9918c:g:BocAAOSw7FRWYOG0&item=252208320908
>>
capri
>>
What automatic daily shitbox should I get for ~$30,000? Was just going to get the 2.0L Mazda 3 iTouring hatchback for like $24,000, what are some better options?
>>
>>14029254
basically anything on the planet
>>
File: RX-8_PZ_side.jpg (520 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
RX-8_PZ_side.jpg
520 KB, 1600x1200
>>14010469
Is owning a rotary engine really that bad? I know they require specific maintenance but how long does an engine on an RX8 typically last?
Does Mazda still have the 100k mile warranty on all RX8s?
Are the engines easy to work on?
What's the main differences between the 2003-2008 and 2009-2012?
Are the manual transmissions atleast reliable?

Inb4
>lolapexseals
>>
>>14029132
I have a breaker bar and torque wrench but no air gun. What do you need an air gun for in this job?
I have a fwd, 2001 mitsubishi galant 2.4l 4.
If I do it myself I'll do it incredibly slowly and carefully, documenting everything so I don't forget a screw somewhere or something. I really haven't worked on cars before, though. I've found some nifty youtube videos on the same engine but I'm worried I'll encounter something unexpected and fuck everything up.
>>
If you buy a car in a private sale, like off of craigslist, and the clerks office isnt open for a day or two, how would you go about buying the car and ensuring the title will be transfered? I know people who got screwed by someone promising to show up on a later date to transfer the title. Would you just have to wait until the office is open?
>>
The air gun is for the harmonic balance/crank shaft pully, any car I've worked on that bolt is always hard as shit to get off. You could use a breaker with extension and apply heat but generally the air gun is faster/less bullshit especially in a tight working space.
>>
>>14029470
>>14029336
>>
>>14029330
Renesis is a pile of trash, don't let anyone tell you different. Avoid the Rx8 it's a fucking dog.

Also if you want to ask " IS DIS CAR GUD GUISE" and making us do all the research for you. Try to hide it better.
>>
>>14029386
I'm not sure what you're talking about. In my state transfer of title is just, old owner signing off on title, new owner signs title. Bring title with you to dmv, give it to them, they send you a fresh title in the mail.
>>
>>14029470
Or, he could brace the bar and turn the car over. That will break it lose.
>>
>>14029495
Thats how it is here too, but i cant go to the office to do all the legal BS as its closed to monday. Im asking if theres anything i can do now other than wait till monday or take their word that they will show up to transfer it. As far as i know, both parties have to be at the office even if the title was already signed by both parties
>>
>>14029501
>lets just jam a wrench in there and hope for the best
Thats how you break things and lose digits.
>>
>>14027055
>you should always shift at around 2k rpm

holy shit nigga what? my torque peak is 4500rpm and hp peak at 5500 rpm
>>
>>14010469
I bought a v6 Nissan for $150k. How did I do?
>>
File: 1448508574682.jpg (56 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1448508574682.jpg
56 KB, 640x800
>>14029559
>Tfw no peak torque at 2000 rpm
>>
>>14029554
Google that shit, people do it all the fucking time. It only takes a small key bump to break it lose.
>>
>>14029515
All you do is sign the title and shit. Did you read the back of it? Take a picture.
>>
I tried a drift last night. It didnt go so well. Heres what I did;

>rev car and drop clutch while turning into corner
>car begins to slide to the left
>attempt to correct to the right
>oh no what the fuck it's not doing it
>car now has traction but travelling 90° facing side of road
>panic and slam on the brakes
>car keeps sliding toward the side of road

Basically its like the car suddenly snapped back the opposite way... quite violently and then I wasnt able to control it.

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it. Car is medium powerful rear wheel drive car.
>>
>>14031244
Aren't you supposed to turn into the drift? As in, once you break the rear free while attempting to turn right, you steer to the left to keep the front wheels straight along the turn.
Sounds like you lost traction with your front wheel's too, then suddenly got it back when you tried to compensate.
>>
Can someone post that picture of the bald guy dancing in front if his same colored miata
>>
So /o/ I've been DDing a '86 RX-7 for a few months. Now ther is another for sale near me, and I think I might go buy it on Tue.

My question is: how much is psychotherapy for whatever affliction has overcome me?
>>
On every guide I'm reading about purchasing a used car, it says to get the vehicle inspected by a mechanic before buying it.

Never bought a car before so I don't understand how you can do this. You can't just bring a car to a mechanic on a test drive, right? Sorry for the stupid question but can you explain this one to me?
>>
>>14032689
>not the previous gen
>>
>>14033051
yea u can, with the owner. or the owner can meet you at a mechanic you trust, etc, but this is usually after youve already seen the car talked to the owner settled on a price with the condition that a mechanic checks it over first.
>>
>>14010982
Yo, you dont want a celica supra; buy the GTS instead, as the engine is a fuckton easier to get parts for, and its pretty much the same car save for that. Also, the Celica-Supra forum guys are fucktards, you can probably find a few supras and a lot of GTS on the CelicaGTS forum instead; google it!
>>
>>14033074
great, that makes sense to me. thanks
>>
File: IMAG0930.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0930.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>14029675
This is the car I'm talking about... Very noticeable. I do have a car that makes peak torque around 2k but it's not as fun around corners.
>>
>>14033062

The one i'm looking at is an '83. Then I'd just need an FD to complete the collection.
>>
>>14031244
>Car is medium powerful rear wheel drive car.
What car exactly is it.

The suspension setup and weight distro can make a difference.

Also you are supposed turn in the direction of the skid, if you turned right, that's the opposite direction.
>>
File: 1449966306533[1].jpg (108 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1449966306533[1].jpg
108 KB, 540x960
I have a 2007 basemodel Cobalt

Guy has an 87 300z with a twin turbo (was a factory turbo with an extra one bolted on)

It runs and it's really fucking quick, but it's mostly in boxes, according to him

I can't decide if I should do the trade or not, or if I should ask for money on top of his car. The 300z Turbo is worth a pretty penny, but his isn't exactly a showcar. He's also offering a 3.3L V6 that he was going to swap in

Help me /o/, his girlfriend is pretty determined to get him out of the 300z since they have a kid, but I don't want to get screwed financially

>pic related
>>
>>14033497

Buy it outright, or don't bother. You're gonna need backup transport if you're working on the Datsun. Sounds like it could be a real basket case waiting to happen. No way it's worth more than $3k in that condition.
>>
>>14033578
I have 0 money and was planning on selling the extra engine. There's other vehicles around to drive that aren't mine, but I'm more comfortable driving my own
>>
>>14033638

Stay away then. The thing is going to need parts. And it's not exactly light on fuel consumption. If you're gonna have fun shitboxes like that, you have to have some reliable ones to carry you around too.
>>
>>14033667
I asked the guy a few hours ago if he could give me a list of all the parts for it that he has. According to him, he has the fan relay, intercoolers, steering rack, and etc. I drove the car and I liked it, but you're right about it needing work. Especially with it being modified, the mpgs and reliability will take a drastic downturn
>>
What's the difference between a 6 point and a 12 point socket? Is one objectively better then the other?
>>
>>14034237
a snug fit 6 point is less likely to round out the nut/bolt youre working on.

theyre also theoretically stronger, but then a cheap chinese 6pt vs a more expensive reputable brand 12pt would probably still be in the 12s favour.
>>
>>14034309
So get a decent 6 point is what I'm hearing then. Thanks.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (39 KB, 740x612) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
39 KB, 740x612
>>14031244
>Clutch kicked into a drift
Okay
But what do you mean by "slide left" yet you "correct to the right"

Youre supposed to be steering the "Front" of the car, if youre on the right hand turn, and the back end begins to slide left you need to turn to the left.

Also as the car back end came around, you let off the gas, this means that the weight transferred to the front wheels, giving you front end grip causing the car to snap.

This is the same principle and very similar to what anons sperg about when they say "Snap oversteer"

oh and when you slammed on the brakes did you lock up? locked wheels will slow you less than threshold braking, or cadence braking
>>
Gud deal?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/3+Series/Calgary/Alberta/5_25929721_20090402123246967/?ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=3&showcpo=ShowCPO
>>
So, I started my car up this morning. There was a sort of intermittent 'screeching' sound. the rate of the sound was connected with the rpm. It went away once warmed up, what could it be?
>>
>>14035570
Drive belts?
>>
>>14034374
different anon here, I drive an awd car, I do something similar to that in corners. I go hard into a corner, then I let off the gas and some oversteer happens. with that oversteer I wait until it's pointed in the direction I want to exit the corner and I apply the power back on
>>
>>14035597
Nope, how would that go away once it's warmed up? Think it could be some inside the engine, like a rod bearing or something?
>>
>>14035626
Wet belt
>>
>>14036102
>mid summer in Australia
>>
>>14035626
it's a belt.
once the rubber heats up from slipping it probably grips better.

a main or rod bearing is very distinct and nothing like a screech.
sounds like a slightly lower pitch diesel injector knock.
>>
>>14027219
hate those gay ass everybody-look-at-me-how-bright-my-fucking-lights-are audi
>>
>>14036203
The belts on my car are already making a sound, it was slightly different. I'll just chalk it up as a tensioner pulley, doing the belts and timing belt in a few hundred kms, there's a tensioner that gets replaced with the timing belt
>>
Should I be happy that my first car doesnt have ABD? I guess Ill learn to be more precise and become better at driving?
>>
>>14036349
ABS*
>>
>>14011205

Most engines can sit at 75% of their operating range all day long reliably.
>>
>>14010469
Hey guys. So I own a 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited, It has 75k miles on it and it randomly lit my entire dashboard up yesterday. I scanned it and got three codes:
P0700
U0073
P1718

The P codes indicated a transmission issue, the U code indicated a 'loss of connection to CAN NETWORK'. The tranny shifted fine, drove fine, I layed on it and it acted completely fine, so I cleared the codes. It was snowing yesterday and I do have a bit of rust underneath.. Do you think a tranny sensor wire rubbed on the rust and frayed it a bit then the snow shorted it? I tried googling all three of these codes and the only thing I could find was a tail light issue? The codes haven't came back yet.
>>
>>14036349
>>14036358
ABS just helps your brakes not lock up, they don't decrease your stopping distance.

Just don't stomp on the brakes and lock your tires up; best time to find brake threshold is in a rainy parking lot.
>>
>>14036619
check all your fuses, relays, and wired connections, and make sure easy things like your fusebox housing and connections plus battery cables are still snug. Check wire harnesses, it seems like all of them would be good, especially to the transmission. a quick search shows a lot of electrical gremlin problems, including this one that Subaru actually bought back for the u0073 code http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/30755-code-u0073-cel.html

if it's still under warranty try to get some support from a dealer.
>>
>>14024676
Not all pressure plates give enough space to where the clutch isn't still spinning against the flywheel.

You'll get glazing on the flywheel and premature wear.
>>
>>14037496
How do I do it? Just get mad speed and slam the brakes?
>>
what are some reputable companies in canada for purchasing extended car warranties? personal experiences?
>>
Sup /o/

i tried to fix a leak in the distributor on my 88 mr2 aw11.

That's done but when i put it back in the car will crank but won't start. Full disclosure this was one of my first diy tasks so a few corners were cut when redoing the seals so now i'm afraid i've fucked the distributor.

I've reconnected all the spark plugs as they were and hooked all the connectors back up to the distributor. What could it be? What would be a smart way to start troubleshooting?

Thanks
>>
>>14038767
I sell coverage one, it's okay
depends on the kind of car you're buying, I work with some pretty unreliable cars (range rovers, jags etc) so a lot of the time it can be worth it
>>
>>14038805
did you mark the rotor before you took it off? your timing is probably all fucked.

do you have a timing light?

you should have marked where the rotor was and put the distributor back in exactly as is was. if you rotate it even a little bit it totally changes your timing.
>>
>>14038805
>>14038958
here

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/175.cfm
>>
B i guess?

I have a VW 020, whose throw-out bearing is actually submerged in transmission fluid, so sitting clutch in isnt really a big deal.
>>
>>14038942
>>14038958

Thanks! I marked the position of the shaft to the housing but not to the block. Hopefully the car not starting at all is also a symptom since it seems it should just be running badly if the timing is off.

I do have a timing light i was going to use but the car didnt start so here i am.

Thanks again.
>>
Please critique my maintenance shopping list for my vehicles.

Both cars:

wix fuel filter
wix air intake filter
wix automatic transmission filter & gasket kits
mobil 1 synthetic advanced fuel economy 0w-30
moog ball joints
moog stabilizer bar links
ngk iridium spark plugs
seafoam'd
zmax'd
bendix ceramic brake pads
bendix parking brake shoes
centric disc brake hardware kits
centric drum parking brake hardware kits
centric disc brake rotors
prestone DOT 4 brake fluid
cheap coolant of appropriate color
autozone battery
philips light bulbs
gates drive belts
rain x windshield wiper blades
rain x windshield wiper fluid
new car scented air freshener

'97 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 4x4 R100 automatic trans

sony head unit
wix oil filter
ngk coil on plug boots
5x general tire grabber at2
moog control arm bushings
moog sway bar bushings
mercon v automatic transmission fluid
4x kyb monomax shock absorbers

'90 Volvo 240 DL 2.3L L4 automatic trans

pioneer head unit
mann oil filter
ngk spark plug wires
5x general tire altimax rt43
moog front strut bellows & bumpers
2x kyb gas a just rear shock absorbers
2x kyb excel g front struts
>>
Is performance break fluid worth it?

Is performance radiator fluid worth it?
>>
>>14039554
>Is performance break fluid worth it?
dot4 has a higher temp rating
>Is performance radiator fluid worth it?
doubt
>>
File: 1445282363024.jpg (2 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
1445282363024.jpg
2 MB, 3888x2592
>>14037926
>Just get mad speed?
Mad speed as in like 30 mph, try to stop as quickly as possible without locking the wheels; leave ample extra room for when you do make 11s and lock up.
>and slam the brakes?
no, that's how you lock the wheels
>>
>>14039900
>>14039900
>>14039900
>>
when talking about turbo sizing (e.g. 62mm turbo) is that referencing the size of the compressor or the size of the turbine?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.