[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /o/, newfag here. I'm thinking of buying a cheap old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: nissan-skyline-r32_0[1].jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
nissan-skyline-r32_0[1].jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
Hi /o/, newfag here.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap old sports car to have fun and learn how to into cars with, what kind of car should I get?

I know basically nothing about cars, but I'm thinking maybe a Supra, a Skyline or an MX-5 because they're all pretty cheap and I think they're cute.

I want something which isn't too beat up to be unusable, but which isn't so good that I won't learn anything about mechanics from fixing it.
>>
Then you're going to need to figure out which parts are easier to come by. Out of your list, I'd say the Supra because Toyota parts gotta be cheaper and easier to come across.
>>
>>14009323
They're less common than MX-5s and Skylines though.

But I honestly have never bought a single auto part, so I wouldn't know what makes them cheap or not.
>>
>>14009319
>Supra
>cheap
lolno, anything that hasn't been ricefucked to shit with a clean title is going to run you 25k+
>Skyline
>cheap
15k+, every skyline in the US is grey market import, and that shit cost money
>MX-5
its just a fucking miata

and yes you can go buy one, a new miata is going to be the same price as a 15 year old supra or a 20 year old skyline
>>
>>14009328
I'm in Australia.

You can get an R32 or an R33 for $5-10k and a not-bad Supra for a bit under 10. For $15k you might even be able to find a GT-R.

Just at a quick glance (a single search), I've found an R32 GT-R with 145,000km for $16k and an R33 GT-R with 122,000km for $18k.
I'd probably kill myself if I got one though, so I'd be looking at around the $6-8k mark for a Skyline.

New MX-5s are pretty expensive here, I'd be looking at the 80s model.
>>
>>14009319
>I know basically nothing about cars, but I'm thinking maybe a Supra, a Skyline
This will only end poorly, and you selling it because you found out they're expensive as hell to maintain
>>
>>14009333
Then what would you recommend?
What's something that'll be fairly cheap to maintain?
>>
>>14009332
just buy a commodore
>>
>>14009319
I'm not even a miata fan but its the obvious choice out of the 3 that will be easier and cheaper to maintain than a supra or skyline.
>>
Mx5.
Did not enjoy my r33.
>>
>>14009319
>supra
>cheap

I wish this was real
>>
File: supra price low to high.jpg (103 KB, 669x826) Image search: [Google]
supra price low to high.jpg
103 KB, 669x826
>>14009345
????

Are Supras really expensive in 'murica or something?
Down here in Aus they're basically just a budget ricemobile for retarded teenagers.

... Which is exactly why I want one.
>>
>>14009336
The MX5. Or a S13 maybe. But idk enough about Australia's cars or used market to recommend any Australian car man. All I do know here is that any R32-34 or A80 will be expensive and picky to maintain.
>>
>>14009319
>I know basically nothing about cars, but I'm thinking maybe a Supra, a Skyline
You'll be raped dead by maintenance and repairs. If you're buying one you'd best be able to afford two plus the bullshit insurance.

Go find yourself an old Commodore to fuck about with instead. The VL series came with an RB30.
>>
>>14009347
I'd avoid cheap mk IV supras. They're slow, and fat. The Supra is so lavished with praise, because the turbo had a really nice drivetrain, and a very resilient engine that made tons of power when modified. The N/A has none of that, and is just kinda shitty.

If you want a cheap, fun sports car the best place to start would be a Silvia, imo. As far as I know there's tons of them in AUS and a big community. The biggest thing you want when getting into cars is readily available parts and knowledge on the car. It sucks owning something obscure and hard to find parts and information on if youre new. Silvias wont have that problem.

Get an S14, K model.
>>
>I know nothing of cars

LURK
MOAR
>>
>>14009328
>everyone lives in the US
>>
>>14009358
How the fuck would I learn about cars better than buying one and learning how to fix it?
>>
>>14009358
Yeah that'll really help him.
>corvette vs gtr
>clueless benchracers
>dedicated shill faggots that think their shit doesn't stink
>>
>>14009360

Start reading more about general car theory and practical.
>>
>>14009351
Ausfag here.

Skylines vary from dirt cheap (and either auto or mistreated) to FnF-taxed R34 GT-Rs that costs as much as a used R35.

Supras vary less but you're looking at that same issue with poor maintenance and God knows whatever else in modifications.

You've got even less chance with an Silvia/200SX or 300ZX here. Either they're beat to shit, on their last legs or Bruce Jenner-like monstrosities.

OP sounds pretty young, probably looking at his first car. P-plate laws are retarded (and vary by state) but you're going to be fucked by either Shannons or Just Car Insurance because nobody else wants to touch old Jap imports, let alone with some young git behind the wheel.

Again, old Commodore or Falcon is the way to go if you're looking for something fun to wrench on. RWD, decent power for their years with room for the mates and plentiful parts and all sorts of people with experience you can learn from.
>>
>>14009360
That's your best bet to learn, but starting with a maintenance whore is just asking for trouble.

Buy something cheap that needs work, spend time fixing it up and learning how everything works. Also try to buy something that's relatively popular, so you can find info online about it from places like forums or maintenance manuals, and have a good amount of affordable parts available.
>>
>>14009365
Why would I just sit around reading theory when I can spend my time driving and maintaining an actual car?

>>14009366
And yeah, I'm thinking an old commo might be my best bet. I'm still on green p's driving my dad's '01 auto Lancer, but I'll be off them fairly soon so I'm looking early.
Any specific model that I should look for? And is it worth going full retard and getting a V8?
>>
RX7, Starion, Corolla
>>
>>14009319
1. Where do you live?
2. What's your actual budget?
3. Do you have any license restrictions?
>>
>>14009377
Finding a VL would be a pain in the ass to do but those did come with a nigrigged turbo RB engine. You could swap it for an RB25 later down the track.

VT or VY/Z come pretty cheap too though you'll want a manual Commo since auto transmissions are notorious for shitting themselves around the 100,000km mark. If you want to learn how to do a manual conversion more power to you.

>And is it worth going full retard and getting a V8?
It'll use up more fuel than a boong left alone at a servo, but fuck it. If you can afford it, go for it. The VT SS comes with a 5.8 litre V8 and goes like a missile in a straight line.
>>
>>14009411
You can get newer ones pretty cheaply.
I guess my upper limit would be around $10k, and you can get decent cars for far less than that.

At least, what look to me like decent cars.
I can't link to it, but there's a 2003 VY SV8 with 162,000km for $8800 that doesn't look bad.
>>
>>14009332

Fuck off MX5's with your teenaged hands.

Unless you want a turbo one, then go right ahead.
>>
Don't buy a falcodore OP.
>>
>>14009452
>>14009446
Not OP, was thinking whether I should buy either a falcodore, MX5, or some sort of silvia/180sx, straya too, any advice?
>>
>>14009332
get an miata nb or a mx5 mk2. (same thing) you can learn a lot on them, they are cheapish, rwd and you shouldnt kill yourself
>>
>>14009505
What do you want to do and what's your budget?

For under $10k can get a late 90s MX-5, FA/FB/FC RX-7, S13, sometimes an S15 if you're lucky, R33 GTS.

If you're broke as shit (~$5k), look for old MR2s (the boxy ones), Nissan EXA, Silvia S12, Mk2 Supra (sometimes a Mk3). Hard to find, but they're out there and cheap. Some S13s are pretty cheap too, a couple that are in the $2k-3k range. I know a guy who bought one with an RB30 for $750, uses it for drifting. For a good, street legal one, expect to pay more.
>>
>>14009530
my budget is around 5k, looking for a first car. I had a look at the AW11's and they do look pretty appealing, but i'm 6'2'' and i'm wondering if i would even fit in a miata or an mr2
>>
>>14009347
I'm European, here the riced Supeas go from 15 to 20k, and the original ones are around 30k
>>
File: proly 2 good 2 be true.png (510 KB, 1322x1303) Image search: [Google]
proly 2 good 2 be true.png
510 KB, 1322x1303
I too like OP am looking for a cheap sports type car. For me personally, my budget is preferably no more than 3k. I'd like no older than a 2000. I'd like a manual transmission. I'd also like something that is relatively inexpensive to maintain as well.

This is something I found that is perfect for me. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the color. I understand and acknowledge by the time my search is done and finalized, i will have to make some compromises.

Any advice you car guys can give me is greatly appreciated. Notice I made sure not to start a new thread since there was already a related one existing. I love you all, and god speed.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x263
>>14010819
>V6
>Stage 3 Race clutch

>literally everything else about that car and ad
>>
>>14009359
>ask about cars on an american website
>get butthurt when they quote you american prices
Fuckoff
>>
File: nutha 2 good 2 be true.png (388 KB, 1031x886) Image search: [Google]
nutha 2 good 2 be true.png
388 KB, 1031x886
>>14010819
Here is another I found. Are mustangs just cheap cars from this generation? These just too good to be true and I'll just show up and get robbed? This one here is a salvage so I can see why it seems cheap. But it is within my budget at least.

>>14010834
I don't know what you mean, anon.

I probably should have mentioned, from the beginning... ya desu I don't know too much about cars except getting some basic shit done to them.
>>
>>14010847
>salvage title
>>
File: rear.jpg (16 KB, 982x602) Image search: [Google]
rear.jpg
16 KB, 982x602
get a 32 gtst senpai

cheap to buy, inexpensive to run, rb20 never dies (and is the best engine ever built), fun to throw around corners, easy to make power with, and that fucking sound

Just don't get a sunroof model, they have no headroom.
>>
>>14010847
I'm
>>14010834

Your absolute best bet is to get a car that has not been modified in any way. They're a little tougher to find but they're out there.

Being green to anything cars, any mod done to any car is just a piece that's waiting to fail. If something on your learner car fails you're better off with it being a factory part so that you can ask for that part at any parts store and get exactly what you need.

Mustangs are fine, but stay away from V6s and especially modified V6s. You're 1000x better off getting a GT, even an automatic GT.
>>
>>14010876
>RB20 is the best engine ever
Except for the RB25 NEO
>>
>>14010847
check the sticky m8
>>
>>14010895
huh?
>>
>>14010901
>>10361919
>>
>>14010877
oh man this is embarrassing. it's not my first car. it'd be my 4th. i'm 33 years old. i don't want a new car. i don't' want payments. i want something reliable and something I can just buy outright.

i live with my gf and she has a car so i'm good. i work from home so i don't need anything right away. I can be as patient as needed to find exactly what I want.

after i buy it, i'll be able to put money into it. that's the idea of why i don't want something new and jjust be tied to payments, feel me?
>>
>>14010903
gotcha. ya i saw that on the way in. i just saw this thread and wanted to get some bros feedback.
>>
>>14010906
I wasn't saying buy a new car

I said buy an unmodified car, that you can mod yourself.

And stay away from shitty mustangs like the ones you posted. Find a stock one that isn't a V6.
>>
>>14010921
ya i def understood what you meant about stock and now that you mention it, ya your'e absolutely right .

i just meant i didn't want to mislead into you all believing i was a first time buyer 20 something that is buying a cheap car... nah i'm an old 33 year old purposely buying an older car for the purposes of owning it the day i buy it. i've had car payments before and liens. Those suck. i want to drive something i want it to be mine.

thanks for your advice.
>>
>>14010921
since you had called it my "learner car". i was just stating it wasn't a learner car.. i'ts my 4th. i am choosing to buy used.
>>
>>14010845

>american website
>It's owned by a Japanese guy
>More than half the boards are about Japanese culture
>Even if it were a "US website" there's an /int/ board for foreign languages and the rest of the site is in l'anglais
>"Hurr durr only Americans speak American"

Typical poor, stupid, uneducated American
>>
>>14011006
>is 100% an American website started by an American
Get out newfaggot
>>
Ausfag here.

I got a '94 supra from carsales as my first car. Cost me $11k. Obviously it wasn't clean but the modifcations done to it were at least tasteful and worthwhile.

Only had 80,000km on the ODO, ohlin coilovers, LSD, aftermarket extractors, 2.5" exhaust system to 4" cannon muffler, pod filter, etc.

I suggest getting a Supra or a Skyline. They're fun, affordable (minus the petrol cost) and look good.
>>
File: S15-Engine.jpg (2 MB, 2346x2076) Image search: [Google]
S15-Engine.jpg
2 MB, 2346x2076
>>14009332
>You can get an R32 or an R33 for $5-10k and a not-bad Supra for a bit under 10. For $15k you might even be able to find a GT-R.
You don't want to buy the Skylines or Supras that are that cheap. The 5k Skylines are 5k for a reason.

>>14009377
Anything from a VT to a VZ. I'd get a VY personally, they're all pretty cheap and you can get an LS1 for laughs.

This >>14009386 isn't a bad suggestion either. Not the rotaries in Aus, but KE70 and AE71 corollas are dirt cheap here.

>>14013477
Did you get that on your Ps? Because that wouldn't be compliant with the laws in pretty much any state. Even if you had the gutless NA model the mods would disqualify it. Hell in some states coilovers aren't legal period.

They're not worth owning a lot of the time. A friend of mines S15 managed to rack up sixteen defects over a two year period. It was modified cleanly, police just like targeting those types of cars.
>>
>>14009332
>and an R33 GT-R with 122,000km for $18k.

Shit, Id love to have a car that fast for that cheap.

In america we have nothing close for that price.
>>
>>14013584
It's bound to not be pretty for 18k.
>>
>Did you get that on your Ps?
Sure did. Haven't been pulled over yet hahaha.
>>
>>14013650
So did you pay 11k for an NA Supra...?
>>
>>14013658
Indeed I did. Is there a problem?
>>
>>14013667
I'm not going to say anything because at the end of the day it's your car and your money but I'll be honest man I'm kind of baffled.
>>
>>14013694
I don't really see an issue with my purchase though. I always see people talking shit about NA supras but I've never understood it. They definitely seem like a good P plater car to me. It beats all my friend's cars easily, sounds nice, drives nice, looks nice, was cheap and I like it.
>>
>>14013667
NA supras go for decent bit cheaper than that. You got p-plate taxed bro
>>
>>14013728
>Fuel Economy
>Heavy
>Police Target
>11k
>Cheap
This >>14013735 too.
>>
>>14013735
and not that it matters as its probably in way better condition than the cheaper ones. as long as youre happy with it, so what.
>>
>>14013728
Just seems like a lot of money for a pretty run of the mill car. As >>14013760 said, if you like it then whatever, but yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I did the same thing albeit with a BMW.
>>
>>14013735
Oh yeah I definitely know that. When I was looking to buy a Supra I looked at one that the guy was asking $6.5k for. It was beaten up, trouble starting, rust everywhere, needed work, etc. The one I bought is in excellent condition with low kms and only needed to have the radiator replaced.
>>
>>14009333
For once I agree with scbro.
When I was 16 I learned the hard way that there's a lot more to a car than what /o/ posts about. I learned that 20 year old vehicles have a lot of rubber parts that need to be replaced over time. Unexpected maintenance cost me a lot of money. Luckily I was able to do a lot of the work but I ended up crashing my trans am and lost a lot of money in the process. I was able to recuperate some money by parting out what I could but yea... just a heads up buddy. If you're gonna buy an old sports car you better have money saved for repairs. Think of all the other clueless folk who've owned the car you're buying
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.