[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this look like a horrible idea for a first car? I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 00O0O_2m5CAlvpJ0Z_600x450.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00O0O_2m5CAlvpJ0Z_600x450.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
Does this look like a horrible idea for a first car? I need something to drive maybe 30 minutes a day, does this look okay for 1000$? I know nothing about cars but it looks cool.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5306789528.html
>>
86's are good as they are SEFI, also have the one year only TV rod instead of cable

5.0 is easy to work on and reliable, AOD is reliable, make sure the grommet isn't fucked.

Honestly though, if you know nothing about cars, I wouldn't start with a 30 year old one.

Just buy a late 90's toyota.
>>
>>14007599

fuck you dude
>hurr you should buy a car you hate for your first car
>>
>>14007529
Great. It'll be comfy, reliable, and easy/cheap as shit to work on. My first car was an '89 Cadillac Fleetwood I got for 1k and that thing was a kid's best friend.
>>
>>14007599
How much fixing would this car need? I can't really tell from the post.
>>
>>14007626
How should I know, the ad is vague as fuck. Either way, I'd be ready to do a full tune up, plugs, wires, cap + rotor, PCV trio (screen is notorious for clogging up on them)

Windows are probably bad bushings in the motors

looks like a huge crack in the windshield too,
>>
>>14007529
>https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5306789528.html
It's a $1000 car, and if the engine and trans is in good shape, then it is worth it money wise.

As far as maintenance costs, it's a $1000 car. You're going to put $1000 into - at least - in the first year or just beat it til it dies, which could be anywhere form a month to a few years.There's no way of knowing.

The 5.0 is a solid, reliable engine that's simple and easy to work on. AOD's are good transmissions. The car appears solid... It's a good one to drive and learn on. A good comfy road sofa.
>>
Not OP but a related question:
How difficult would it be to swap a 351 windsor carburated and replace the suspension with 04+ CVPI parts and rack and pinion? I love the looks of first gen Panthers but they're too slow and handle poorly, so I would much rather upgrade mine than buy a P71.
>>
>>14007529
>126 miles
more like 300,126. You should run the plate in the vin thread for the real mileage. I test drove an '89 two months ago that didn't make it to the end of the block.Tow company wanted $800, was on a lien title. Kept dying when put in reverse. Probably just had a vacuum hose disconnected somewhere but they were jerks, acted like it was my fault their shit impounded car couldn't idle in reverse ("you just gotta hold the accelerator") and the 66,000 miles they listed the vehicle as having was nowhere near the 266000 miles it had on it; since it was a towing company selling it they knew the real mileage and were just being dicks. It seemed like a problem (the sellers and the car) and I'm glad i walked away. Went with a beater volvo for $200 plus $300 and my own time in repairs, and am quite satisfied with my choice.

Also the trunk was full of hay.
>>
You can find those in better condition for $1,000 honestly. Buy a police car from auction for $2,000
>>
File: ox1HUao.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
ox1HUao.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>14008952
SBF motor mounts on a 92-02 are nearly a direct bolt in, on a 03+, your on your own.

79-91 to 03+ frame swap isn't that hard, and has been done before. You can make a 79-91 box handle damn well, but never come close to the 03+.
>>
>>14008989
The thing I am concerned about is that town cars have a 3 inch longer wheelbase than crown vics
>>
>>14009070
Then swap from a modern town car?
>>
>>14009129
But that will have a soft town car suspension.
>>
>>14009133
Sell the town car suspension and get the components you desire.
>>
>>14009148
Do I need the modern frame or can I bolt the P71 suspension to the old one?
>>
But a civic. You'll still look poor but at least you'll be fuel efficient and you won't look like a drug dealer.
>>
>>14009175
A body swap is cheaper and better.
>>
File: Landbarge02.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Landbarge02.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14007529
I've got one. I paid $1000 for mine and it's been a reliable comfy daily.
>>
>>14009175
I was saying take your old town car, get a 2003+ town car since the wheel bases will be more similar, swap the bodies. But since you don't want the modern town car suspension just sell it and use that money for your p71 suspension.
>>
>>14014798
I see. But then it will be more difficult to install the 351.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.