[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I have an issue. I have an 06 Silverado. Let me lay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Hey guys,
I have an issue. I have an 06 Silverado. Let me lay out what happened and maybe you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.

>Got an oil change at 62k miles, and it has only been 1k miles since then and probably 2-3 months
>they told me there was a "leaking oil seal cap"
>whenever I check the yellow oil dipstick(pic related) it says it's at maximum capacity
>I drove ~250 miles today, and then now when I turn on the truck, it says "change engine oil"
What do you guys think the issue is?

Do you think it's just an issue of the mechanic fucking up the oil change? I wanted to do it myself but I'm in a paycheck to paycheck situation and it's cheaper to have it done there.
>>
When it has been sitting for awhile and I move it there isn't any residual oil on the ground
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 608x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 608x372
>>
Did they reset the computers oil life monitor when they changed the oil? It has to be done manually, else you'll get that message after the computer determines it needs to be changed.
>>
>>14007000
That's what my father said. I'm not sure if they did that. I didn't think a base model 06 car would have that feature. I mean the mileage reminder is right there on your windshield.
Is resetting the computer something I can do myself?
>>
Yeah, resets arent always done because lube techies work their way up and oil changes are usually done by newbies in the feild. Its hard to keep up on all the reset procedures since they vary by manufacturer and year. Id recommend taking truck back to the same place and asking them to show you. They outta be more than happy to show you since it means they may make more money on the repair. For the oil change light. Make sure door is closed, key on, engine off, pump gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. May take several tries.
>>
>>14007014

If its telling you to change your oil, then it is equipped with the system. I think it's standard equipment on pretty much every gm vehicle in the past decade.

To reset it, turn the key to the on position (don't start the truck), and press the accelerator all the way to the floor and release it fully 3 times. You should get a message "Oil Life Reset". Turn the key off and you should be good to go. Press and release the pedal quickly because you only have a short window of time (5 seconds I believe).
>>
File: image.jpg (263 KB, 925x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263 KB, 925x720
>>14007080
>>14007084
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it
>>
>>14007105

No problem (I'm the second post)

For the record, the oil life monitor is pretty reliable if you stick to using a decent synthetic oil and good quality filter. It takes into account city vs highway driving, idle hours, time elapsed, etc. so you don't have to be religious about your oil change interval; just change it when the computer tells you to.
>>
Maybe they were wrong and were trying to refer to a freeze plug. How's the coolant level?
>>
File: fe_309111_600.jpg (80 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
fe_309111_600.jpg
80 KB, 600x400
I've been using regular gas on my car(01 Passat v6) when the manual says I'm supposed to use premium. Is this going to fuck up the car in the long run?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.