[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I'm looking to do my first performance modifications
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20151205_160127.jpg (445 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_160127.jpg
445 KB, 2048x1536
Hey guys, I'm looking to do my first performance modifications on my ecoboost mustang. I'm thinking intercooler and downpipe upgrade to start, but I have a few questions.

How does tuning the ECU work? Do I have to take it somewhere to get it done, or do you use a kit?

Does changing part of the exhaust mean that I can't drive the car without tuning it? (If I change the intercooler for a better one, will it run like crap without tuning the ECU as well)

How do I find what my bottlenecks are? For example, do I need a cold air intake? How would I tell if I did?

Appreciate you bros.
>>
Didn't read but that's a fine doge.
>>
THROW A DOSE PIPE ON IT CUNT
>>
>>14003408
is your doge looking at a better car that's not in the frame?
>>
>>14003483
Maybe at my neighbors beat to shit outback, so possibly kek
>>
Go to several dedicated forums for your car. Read them. Absorb them. Become a member and post in threads you have experience in. Learn. Asking here will net you nothing but pain and bullshit.

As far as a general answer not related to that particular model, your car should be fine as in drivable on the base tune for things like downpipe exhaust and intercooler upgrades provided they are done properly and dont create an air leak. The biggest problems in that department usually come from adding a bov to a recirulating system since your loosing meetered air without any way for the ecu to track it. As far as performance your cars ecu may not be able to use the extra flow without tuning so you might not gain power amd in some cases can loose power as the ecu pulls fuel and timing due to what it sees as an error when in reality you've only increased the capacity of a system. Several turbo tuner cars have the issue where upgrades without tuning can cause you to hit fuel cut faster thereby making the car seem like its driving shitty when its really just that you hit the ecu limits much faster.
>>
File: 1407877512891.jpg (11 KB, 407x378) Image search: [Google]
1407877512891.jpg
11 KB, 407x378
>modifying a 4 cylinder car
>>
File: 12-images-of-toyota-supra-mk3.jpg (354 KB, 1600x1033) Image search: [Google]
12-images-of-toyota-supra-mk3.jpg
354 KB, 1600x1033
>>14003627
amerifat detected
>>
Those came with a turbo? Cool. Is it faster than the v8
>>
File: 1441819079679.png (70 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
1441819079679.png
70 KB, 441x411
>>14003637
ahmeds upset again
>>
>>14003681
It's the boost part it ecoboost, I would assume.
>>
>>14003408
First mod should be a cobb accessport. From there u can do a stage 1 tune right out of the box (stock car) but better tune and you'll notice some pickup from there.

From then look on forums and look at Cobbs next tune, stage 2 is usually a turboback and sometimes an intakr. Then you can tune the car straight from the accessport. I never run my cars untuned ever, you never know when the factory ecu just can't makeup for the difference.

Once you want more upgrades the cobb can act as your piggyback basically and you can manage tunes through that. Have a professional tune on a dyno and the tune will be put on the accessport for saving or removal if need be later.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 610x327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 610x327
So is the turbo mustang cooler than the 5.0? I mean you can tune it to have a good amount of power and it's fun tuning to get what you want out of the car.

I mean if you tune the 5.0 you'll be over 500hp in no time and that's not what everyone wants so for someone with daily driving in mind but also tinkering maybe the turbo is best.

And shit getting the turbo to close to 400hp would be just fucking dynamite.

I think I'm in love with the ecoboost mustang guys.
>>
>>14003637
that's a toyota supra? dafuq?
>>
>>14003408
I used this dude to tune my Fiesta ST, would rate 10/10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmpAhhkLoEg

Make sure you need a downpipe for the stock turbo before upgrading, on the Fiesta ST the stock downpipe was actually better for the stock turbo then an upgraded one.

>>14003766
Check out that video.
>>
>>14003836
thats a bac mono
>>
>>14003408
No body cares about the fagstang
>>
>>14003553
This is a good post.
>>
>>14003681
Theyre about on par with the v6 stock but lighter and better balanced. Still 300 hp or so, and the engine has a lot of potential locked away if you don't mind killing fuel economy.
>>
>>14003955
I would rate them far above the V6 in desirability.
>>
>>14003408

Get a tune from tune+, and an intercooler. Go to mustang6g and check out the forum. For 5k the ecoboost will run 11.7s quarter. Tune+tire+intake+IC+exhaust.

ECU is essentially a massive lookup table. Car reads how much torque is demanded along with the current operating conditions, and outputs certain VCT timing, fuel, wastegate %, etc. ECU tunes (such as from tune+) will up the wastegate % and use more aggressive VCT timing. You car can adapt to changes like exhaust and intercoolers without a tune but it won't run as well due to different operating conditions than predicted by the ECU.
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 1024x685
>>14003408
I have that engine (basically) in my 2006 Mazdaspeed6. If you do the exhaust or intake or anything else, you NEED to have it turned afterwards. It will run rich or lean all the time. The ECU is a bitch.
Freektune.com will sell you a Cobb AP v3 and a custom tune for like 900 bucks.
>>
This is so cool because even new bmw m models are 4 cylinder turbos and same with the Cayman gts.

So Ford has done something neat. You can have M car thrills with a tune.
>>
>>14005677

The block is similar, that's it. Different VCT system, different cylinder head (iem vs headers), different intake, etc etc. The ECU is entirely different as well.
>>
>>14005712
I stand corrected then. Ignore my shitposting.
>>
>>14005712
>>14005677
Yeah nigga its same displacement and from same factory but that's it.
>>
>>14005729

Ford stole the Mazda L line and implemented it into their duratec line, then moved forward with upgrades like their Ti-VCT valvetrain and forged crank in the 2.3L. They also did the stupid IEM, which is why the focus/fiesta ST and mustang sound like ass.
>>
>>14003408
how do you like your turbo 4 banger?

i never like mustangs but fuck me does that one make me moist and i see a SHITLOAD of potential in it
>>
>>14004223
The only thing below a v6 Mustang in desirability is a PT Cruiser
>>
>>14005749
i absolutely love my car. owning it makes me happy. sitting in it makes me happy. driving it makes me happy. the way people treat me when im in it makes me happy. i have the premium and its comfy as hell. only complaints about the interior is some of the plastic bezels and things rattle on occasion.

the car is gorgeous, fun, and doesn't even drink that much gas. would buy again. just from a different dealer because mine was shit.
>>
>>14003408
Down pipes be illegal Holmes.
>>
>>14006031
i almost want to buy one, because i cant afford 46k with taxes for the V8.
That or a 2012-2014 V8.
I have a Foxbody atm
>>
>>14006056
i got mine for under 32k (ecoboost premium with like $5000 in options, discounted around 3 grand)

couldnt quite justify the cost of the GT. maybe if i get wealthy someday.
>>
>>14005705
Bmw are straight 6 turbo.
>>
File: 2.3vsv8.png (203 KB, 1022x440) Image search: [Google]
2.3vsv8.png
203 KB, 1022x440
>turboback exhaust
>intake (doesn't make much power but sounds kickass)
>intercooler
>turn up the boost
>tune it to work with the new parts

Depending on how much boost you're willing to run, you'll probably end up making more down low than the GT. Just don't get a loud exhaust, as the 2.3 sounds fucking terrible when it's uncorked
>>
>>14006071
No lots are 4 cylinder turbo now Bruce.
>>
>>14006088
Most people don't want 430hp.

The turbo allows people to tune the car to power levels that they enjoy and have a better mix of performance and economy. 375hp would be perfect for me.
>>
>>14006145
>430hp
It's only making 320 though?
>>
>>14006157
Shut up I was talking about the v8.

Tune the v8 and you have way too much power. Leave it be and you still have a lot for dd
>>
File: bob.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>14006197
I was answering OP's question about what mods are good on an ecoboost mustang though, and then you just started randomly telling me about the V8

are you drunk
>>
>>14003408
You can start by selling your shitty 4 cylinder then saving a bit of cash and buying the v8. Instantly faster.
>>
>>14006125
No modern //m cars are 4 cylinder turbos...you're a retard.
>>
>>14006239
that actually sounds like it would take a while
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.