[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people call it the "gas" pedal. Shouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 1
Why do people call it the "gas" pedal. Shouldn't it be called the "air" pedal?
>>
>>14002765
that's a throttle body, not a pedal
>>
>>14002779
Well yes, but when you press down on the air pedal, what happens to the throttle body?
>>
On carbureted cars it has control of the gas too. You pumped it before starting to engage choke and to prime.
>>
It's called the butterfly valve actuator not the gas pedal or air pedal.
>>
>>14002765
Why do people call it "gas"? Shouldn't it be called "liquid"?

:^)
>>
Just call it a throttle.
>>
>>14002819
>diesel
>throttle
It's still flawed.
>>
>>14002830
the pic in the op is a throttle
>>
>>14002812
gasoline
gas-oline
gas
>>
>>14002839
What about diesel pedals?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N98qgbTXMZ0
>>
>>14002765
Because when you press the pedal, you give the engine more gasoline by increasing the air.
While you really give the engine more air, you give it more gas to
Hence, "gas" pedal

At least that's my autistic understanding of it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never been educated on the origins of most automobile colloquialisms
>>
>>14002901
Diesel
Die-sel
Die
>>
>>14002830
No, it's not.
>>
>>14003111
>I have no idea what a throttle is
>>
>>14003134
I know you don't.
>>
>>14003142
>projecting
>>
>>14003147
You gonna keep describing yourself in these replies or are you going to stop?
>>
>>14003153
>continues projecting
>>
>>14003070
jej
>>
>>14002784
And even then, in fuel injection (as well as the older pressure carbs they were based in) the fuel is metered by the amount of air passing through the throttle; it's just delivered after the butterfly valve (immediately after in the case of a pressure carb) rather than before.
>>
>>14004242
On a fuel injected car, the throttle pedal has no direct control over the fuel flow. Carburetors have accelerator pumps that add fuel when the pedal is pressed regardless of the amount of airflow.
>>
>>14004266
>On a fuel injected car, the throttle pedal has no direct control over the fuel flow
Yes it does. That's why they have throttle position sensors for the acceleration enrichment maps and the off throttle maps.
>>
>>14004266
>On a fuel injected car, the throttle pedal has no direct control over the fuel flow.

>hit gas
>throttle body opens
>tps registers amount of throttle opening
>adds fuel for extra air coming in

How does it not?

>On a fuel injected car, the throttle pedal has no direct control over the fuel flow while the car is off.

FTFY.
>>
>>14002784
It still controls the fuel as well, although indirectly through a TPS.

And either way, it's the throttle
>>
>>14002812
>he doesn't drive LPG
>>
>>14004275
Gtfo with your logic
>>
>>14003070
I lel'd
>>
>>14004271
Throttle position sensors are gay. Cable throttle all the way
>>
>>14002765

Air is a gas, moran.
>>
>>14004298
cable throttles still have a TPS. You're thinking of drive by wire.
>>
Because "fuel-air mixture pedal" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well.

If you're going to be pedantic, you can call it an "accelerator."
>>
it's called the accelerator goddamn it
>>
>>14002765
over here we call it a rooty hooty press and tooty.
>>
why do americans call liquid dinosaur skeletons gasoline>???
its not even a gas
>>
>>14002765
because fuck your shit, i can call it what i want
>>
>>14004414
Etymology and terminology
"Mogas" redirects here. For other uses, see Moga (disambiguation).

"Gasoline" is cited (under the spelling "gasolene") from 1863 in the Oxford English Dictionary. It was never a trademark, although it may have been derived from older trademarks such as "Cazeline" and "Gazeline".[37]

Variant spellings of "gasoline" have been used to refer to raw petroleum since the 16th century.[37] "Petrol" was first used as the name of a refined petroleum product around 1870 by British wholesaler Carless, Capel & Leonard, who marketed it as a solvent.[38] When the product later found a new use as a motor fuel, Frederick Simms, an associate of Gottlieb Daimler, suggested to Carless that they register the trade mark "petrol",[39] but by this time the word was already in general use, possibly inspired by the French pétrole,[37] and the registration was not allowed. Carless registered a number of alternative names for the product, while their competitors used the term "motor spirit" until the 1930s.[40][41]

In many countries, gasoline has a colloquial name derived from that of the chemical benzene (e.g., German Benzin, Czech benzina, Dutch benzine, Italian benzina, Polish benzyna, Chilean Spanish bencina, Thai เบนซิน bayn sin , Greek βενζίνη venzini, Romanian benzină, Swedish bensin, Arabic بنزين binzīn). Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Italy use the colloquial name nafta derived from that of the chemical naphtha.[42]

The terms "mogas", short for motor gasoline, or "autogas", short for automobile gasoline, are used to distinguish automobile fuel from aviation fuel, or "avgas".[43][44][45]
>>
>>14004414
>GAS
>OLINE

Literally gas-oil.

I have no issues with petrol (literally a portmanteau of petroleum oil, or even more literally "rock oil"), however it is not immune from criticism, for you see any oil derived from the ground is petroleum- or petrol.
>>
>>14004447
>>14004437
fucking zimbabwe africa language scholars here
>>
>>14004414
Its technically more correct than brits calling it petrol

And you'd be surprised, there are heavy compounds in 'gas' that can be refined into 'gasoline'
>>
>>14004469
It's not "zimbabwe africa language" whatever the fuck that is, it's Etymology.
>>
>>14002765
Lots of people call it a throttle pedal.
>>
>>14002812
>implying liquids compress

It's a gas vapor. Do you even know what atomization is?
>>
should be called a derivative velocity controller
>>
>>14004521
something stancefags do a lot
>>
>>14002997
No thats just comonsense. A basic human function.
>>
The Accelerator
or
The Throttle

The most accurate names for it.
>>
>>14004521
who is this alphonse imposter?
>>
>>14004305
my bad
>>
>>14004616
>taking potshots at stance and most likely hates fwd

Car Noob detected
>>
>>14004997
>trying to hijack a thread with FWD even though no one has even mentioned it
Nice try stancefag. Kill yourself.
>>
>>14004273
he's sort of right. The TPS and other sensors are responsible for fuel flow, the throttlebody just happens to talk to the TPS

A little bit pedantic.
>>
>>14005036
>trying to hijack a thread with stance even though no one has even mentioned it.

since im the bigger man i think you should NOT kill yourself you c uc k
>>
>>14004311
You could abbreviate "fuel-air-mixture" and call it the senpai pedal
>>
>>14003070
topkek
>>
>>14006797
Why not just enjoy the fun wordfilters kek.
>>
>>14004521
SOME LIQUIDS DO COMPRESS VERY VERY SLIGHTLY
>>
>>14002765
Because throttle opens to merely allows more air, while the injectors and fuel pump pushes more gas and the ignition system picks up to increase RPMs. The air just falls into the engine. It's not turbo, dumbnuts.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.