[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Porsche to take all-electric Mission E concept to production,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 19
File: mission-e-approved.jpg (77 KB, 930x618) Image search: [Google]
mission-e-approved.jpg
77 KB, 930x618
Porsche to take all-electric Mission E concept to production, Tesla BTFO?
>>
File: mission-e-approved yes yes.jpg (59 KB, 930x362) Image search: [Google]
mission-e-approved yes yes.jpg
59 KB, 930x362
Porsche's production confirmation restates those power and acceleration specs, along with the 500+ km (311+ mile) range and accompanying 800-volt charging system that Porsche says can bring the floor-integrated lithium-ion battery up to 80 percent in 15 minutes. Porsche also reiterates the concept car's wireless charging capabilities.
>>
File: porsche-mission-e-approved.jpg (74 KB, 930x618) Image search: [Google]
porsche-mission-e-approved.jpg
74 KB, 930x618
Mission E concept was powered by a pair of permanent magnet synchronous motors teaming up for about 590 hp (440 kW). That power number and the acceleration estimate of 3.5 seconds for the 0-62 mph (100 km/h)
>>
>>14001664
Porsche are a bunch of lying stupid cunts, then.

Your power company would need to upgrade all the lines between your house and the fucking substation in order to deliver that many amps even at fucking 3-phrase.
>>
File: porsche-p1.jpg (150 KB, 930x620) Image search: [Google]
porsche-p1.jpg
150 KB, 930x620
Nearly a century and a quarter after that first electric "Porsche" made its debut, Porsche will bring its new all-electric car to the streets. It says the production Mission E will appear at the end of the decade. It will be investing €700 million (approx. US$758.5 million)
>>
>>14001659
>that pigfat
>that shit aero
>electric car
Dead in the water
>>
>>14001678
So how is telsa BTFO?

By the time this comes out they could have released a Model S2 that does 0-62 in 2.8 seconds or less with 350 miles range
>>
File: tesla-batteries.jpg (32 KB, 770x516) Image search: [Google]
tesla-batteries.jpg
32 KB, 770x516
>>14001706
Much bigger company, they could use Panasonic batteries like Tesla... It's all about the battery.
>>
>>14001745
Much bigger company with no electric history.

Meanwhile by 2020 tesla could launch a second generation of model s and be in the situation of having a better performing car with a history of knowing how to deal with electrics.

This does not BTFO tesla at all, if anything it BTFO aston/jag/rolls/bentley/ferrari by porsche being first
>>
>>14001659

Probably not

Tesla has been established as the premier electric car company, everything else is really fighting for second fiddle
>>
File: 18650.jpg (46 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
18650.jpg
46 KB, 620x413
>>14001767
It's all about the battery.
Tesla buys Panasonic 18650 batteries, so could anyone else. Bigger company bigger orders...Lower price...X
>>
>>14001680
Normies don't understand the reality of their dreams.
And you can't shatter it either.
It's crazy.
>>
>>14001797
Yeah, except for how it's not all about the battery at all you silly cunt.

Tesla have had years to package them, get their controller down right, convince suppliers to give them good deals, start building facilities, etc.

Porsche are now playing catch up, and if the best they can do is something that matches the CURRENT model s due for release in 2020, they're going to lose. Tesla can launch an updated S in 2019 that destroys the porsche in performance figures while benefiting from being a known brand and having all the little issues sorted out.

>>14001799
It's just fucking stupid. To charge 70kwh of batteries in 15 minutes is in no way possible off any home grid. A fucking large shop with multiple 3-phase circuits would become a fire hazard.
>>
>>14001797
Porsche isn't well known for being electric, Tesla is.

If you tell people you drive a Tesla they will probably ask you 10 questions about it. If you tell people you drive a Porsche they will think you are rich or pretending to be.
>>
>>14001829
how do you pretend to be rich while owning a porsche
>>
>>14001850
By buying a used, base model panamera.
>>
File: Battery, Dum ASS.jpg (158 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Battery, Dum ASS.jpg
158 KB, 1200x900
>>14001828
Liquid cooled 18650... Wow that's hard. No big Auto maker want's to put that much of a products cost to a supplier.... Invest in Panasonic, not Tesla.
>>
>>14001878
You're literally retarded, aren't you?

>hurr invest in a battery maker who could at any time lose the contract with the only well known electric car maker on the planet
>>
>>14001680
No they wouldn't. Electricity is like a recipe. You can add and subtract any component, ie amps,volts, joules, watts. The amps can be boosted on the receiving side.
>>
File: fuk my shit up.jpg (567 KB, 3972x1188) Image search: [Google]
fuk my shit up.jpg
567 KB, 3972x1188
>>14001900
>lose the contract
Still Laptops... what these batteries where originally made for. but I hear that prismatic batteries are the way to go now.
>>
>>14001906
Go learn how electrical delivery works and get back to me.

You want to deliver [x] watts you must supply [volts]*[amps].
Your voltage is set, your amps are limited by wires.

If you want to charge 70kwh of battery in 15 minutes, you literally need to upgrade all the wiring going from the charger to the substation or else in the middle of summer when everything's hot and everybody is using air-con, your dumb ass drawing all that current will cause a fire.

Unless porsche are including a 50kwh pack in the price of the car and their marketing assumes that gets charged slowly and then dumped hard into the car.
Which, by the way, will NOT be wireless. That will require such a thick pure copper cable that in nigger countries, it will be stolen.
>>
File: Van De Graaff Generator.jpg (27 KB, 305x335) Image search: [Google]
Van De Graaff Generator.jpg
27 KB, 305x335
>>14001932
You are stupid about electricity.

This is 1 million volts. Notice how she isn't on fire?
>>
>>14001932
Also, I can take a 12 volt battery and turn it into 50,000 volts with just a circuit board and parts. It would fit in your hand too. Like a Taser. I can also only make it produce 1 amp.
>>
>>14001947
Whoops, less than 1 amp. Way less. Or no amps if I choose.
>>
>>14001939
Yes faggot, and go ahead and charge 70kwh worth of batteries off nanoamps
>>
File: lamborghini-embolado.jpg (419 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lamborghini-embolado.jpg
419 KB, 1024x768
>>14001932
>that in nigger countries, it will be stolen
OP- made me laugh.
>>
>>14002037
Like said stupid faggot, electricity is recipe. I can add amps on the receiving side of that power line.
>>
inb4 dieselgate habbens again except too much esd or something
>>
File: pillow world.png (469 KB, 729x511) Image search: [Google]
pillow world.png
469 KB, 729x511
It'll still be years before Porsche would make a dent in Tesla sales.

Better luck next decade, Porsche fags.
>>
Whether or not they can compete with Tesla is irrelevant. Even Tesla is in its infancy, they're only taking baby steps towards what an electric vehicle could become.

The underlying issue that cripples everything is battery capacity. No matter how you try to cut it you're still held back in range and power output by your energy storage medium. No conventional chemistry found on the market today delivers the energy density required to really compete with gasoline because pound per pound batteries are just god awful. If you take the weight of the entire battery unit out of a Tesla you're looking at well over 1100lbs. If you took all the individual cells out of the casing, cooling, and charging circuitry you'd still probably 800lbs~. Thats 800lbs that delivers a range of less than 300 miles before it needs to be recharged which can take a whole day.

15 gallons of gas weighs something like 120lbs, and if you're driving a little econobox that can take you 450 miles or more.
Granted the gas powered vehicle has a big heavy engine while the electric vehicle doesn't, but it really puts into perspective just how poor our current batteries are at holding energy.

If this situation is ever significantly improved upon then it would be a totally radical change, but thats still a long way over the horizon. Companies are dipping their toes into EVs now as an investment in the future. So it doesn't matter whatsoever if Chevy, Porche, or whoever makes a vehicle somewhat worse off than a Tesla. This a battle for 10 years from now, not today.
>>
>>14002113
Don't think it in terms of just current or voltage. Think how much power you need to charge 70 kWh battery in 15 min.
>>
>>14002113
>hurr i can just add more watts into the equation
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>14002060
Not him, but it happens. It was a rising problem here awhile back. Homeless people would break into apartment buildings and gut all the copper out the main distribution frame to sell at a scrap yard.
>>
File: energy density.png (59 KB, 646x888) Image search: [Google]
energy density.png
59 KB, 646x888
>>14002234
Relevant
>>
>>14002239
Stop yourself. You are ignorant on this subject. Electricity is a recipe that can be manipulated. I just gave you the perfect example. A Taser. It's only powered by 12 volts but can produce 50,000 volts. Electricity can deliver anything you want it too. Any amount of volts, amps, watts, or joules. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>14002237
It's a power line. It can deliver electricity for as long as electric company can produce it.
>>
>>14002290
The lines themselves can only carry a certain amount of power before they fail.
Anon is correct in stating that our power delivery infrastructure is not capable of handling such high demand on residential lines.

If you have a very high capacity battery then there is a hard limit on how fast you're able to charge it from any plug inside of a house. You'd need to be drawing power from a substation feeding off of high voltage industrial/commercial lines to charge a large battery quickly.
Hell, even industrial lines fail from time to time when overloaded.
>>
I said this years ago.

Telsa absolutely will not be able to compete once the major manufacturers get involved.

Tesla just fills a niche currently. Unless they find some breakthrough and patent it they won't be able to sustain once the VW groups, BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, and Porches of the world start out producing them, out budgeting them, and out marketing them when they deem the electric car a worthwhile investment.
>>
>>14001659
>Porsche, notorious for cars with electrical bugs, making an electric car
>>
>>14002294
Jeebus Christ! They don't have to deliver anymore than they can carry. I already said you can boost/add ANYTHING you need on the receiving end of that power line. You can reduce ANYTHING you need as well. There is no need to "pump" more juice over the power line. What it's delivering is perfectly sufficient to be manipulated on the user end.
>>
>>14002237
>Don't think it in terms of just current or voltage
That's what electricity is..
the net result is the same amount of energy

>dont think in terms of voltage and amps!
>just think in terms of watts!
hmm yes very interesting disregard that watts is v x a

>>14002294
>The lines themselves can only carry a certain amount of power before they fail.
They are rated for a certain amount of energy. They don't deteriorate from electricity.

>Anon is correct in stating that our power delivery infrastructure is not capable of handling such high demand on residential lines.
citation? source? any information at all to back that up?
>>
YOU RETARDS

This won't impact Tesla at all. Porsche is a luxury brand for the upper class. Tesla is setting its sights on the middle class. Tesla is already established as the de-facto electric car manufacturer if you want electric and can afford it. The major manufacturers have already given people a bad taste in their mouth with long term reliability on their electric vehicles. No intelligent person will touch a used electric car because the batteries cost thousands to service. More than an engine and transmission replacement combined. Fuck that shit.

The Mission E will probably be awesome. It might even be better than the p85d, but it will also be crazy expensive. I see more Tesla's in my daily commute than I see Porsches, period.

The only reason why EV's aren't catching on like they should is it's difficult to charge them. You need a station installed at your home and other than that, where the fuck do you go?
>>
>>14002309
>Tesla is setting its sights on the middle class
Yes that $100,000 car is right up my ally as a middle class highschool math teacher. Thank you, Tesla!

>Tesla is already established as the de-facto electric car manufacturer
Correction, Telsa currently fills a niche producing a unique oddity.
>>
>>14002307
It flat out sounds like you know nothing about electricity.

X amount of power needs to get into the battery. If you want to charge a battery quickly then you're putting more power into it over a shorter period of time. No different from a quick charger for a cellphone, the only fundamental difference between an EV and a cellphone is the capacity of the battery.
A quick charge adapter for a phone will use higher amps to deliver more watts to the device over a shorter period. Stating this over and over doesn't change the issue of what the lines can carry.

An 85kWh battery is never ever going to be changed 100% within an hour from a residential line. Ever.

>>14002308
>They don't deteriorate from electricity.
Yes, actually they do. Power lines can get so hot that they expand, to a visible degree, and physically break from their own heat. I'm not talking about breakers or transformers, I'm talking about the lines themselves failing because they can only carry a finite amount of power. Residential lines are limited in load, much more so than industrial lines.

>citation? source? any information at all to back that up?
Its called basic information about electricity 101
Go to a community college and sit in on a class, you sorely need it.
>>
>>14002316
Have you been living under a rock? Tesla is building a sedan they plan on selling for 35k. High School teacher is like lower middle class almost poverty tier. I make more than a high school teacher delivering pizza part time.

Fukkin nerd
>>
>>14002327
Are you retarded? High school teachers make a lot of money. $50k-$70k.

>Tesla is building
Aka they haven't built it yet. So until that happens and it's in dealerships for $35k then you can talk about it.

see: >>14002295

>>14002325
(I don't have a citation or a source so I'm just gonna claim it's electricity 101)

Pick a neighborhood in a developed city, come back with current and hypothetical load statistics, and then we'll talk. Otherwise you're just a know nothing talking out of his ass.
>>
>>14002325
It's like you are totally ignoring what I'm telling you. You keep stumbling on what the power line can deliver...which isn't important for charging or quick charging a battery for an electric car when I can take that power from the line and make any charge of electricity I want on my end. I can choose to make 1 million volts with it or only 1 volt. I can do this with watts, volts, amps, or joules. I can boost or step down any one of those things at any level I choose. You seem to think "Herp derp it can't be done by plugging it into the wall therefore it can't be done". You don't plug the battery into the wall socket stupid nigger. You plug your charging station into the wall and your battery into the charging station. It's your fucking charging station that will convert the electricity from the power line into the "electrical recipe" or more correctly, the electrical charge the battery requires. I cannot possibly explain it any simpler for you.
>>
>>14002364
>this uneducated shit eating retard just keeps making the same ignorant point over and over

The lines have finite capacity. Not a single thing you bothered to type out is of any consequence because you fail to understand this singular fact.
A residential line has a maximum load potential, and a neighborhood full of people charging their high capacity EVs while running air conditioning in the summer is going to quickly reach that potential. That is the point that the other anon was making.
You are fixating on stepping voltage because it is the single thing you understand about electricity, and that is meaningless. There is finite potential to deliver power, your ability to modulate the delivery makes no difference.

>>14002341
Brown outs happen all the time during the summer when lines are stressed. Everywhere in the developed world. High voltage lines have to be periodically replaced because of heat fatigue.
At least try to make a real point.
>>
>>14002391
>Brown outs
I hate this shit. Gets up to 115F during Summer here and moment everyone is running their aircons the power cuts in and out every couple hours.

We get scheduled outages to take load off the grid as well.
>>
>>14002364
If I can use your magic shit-box converter to make anything I choose, why can't I make a converter that will take a power outlet and have it make a megawatt? A gigawatt? Why not use your converter box to take an electric generator and power a whole town with it?
>>
>>14002287
You're a fucking dumb cunt.
>>
>>14002391
You aren't powering a factory. The power line doesn't have to deliver more than they can bear. This is like everyone in your neighborhood or city adding one more appliance. I haven't been talking about stepping voltage ONLY. It's an example. You keep ignoring watts, amps, and joules and that they can be manipulated as well on the receiving end of the line...even though I have repeated it often.
>>
>>14002307
This is the stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard.

If you can just ADD POWER at the home why not ditch the fucking power line altogether you silly cunt
>>
>>14002391
The loads during summer are from A/C evaporators. Which have a significantly higher amperage load than charging a battery.
>>
>>14002425
Because you can't. As usual, you have taken it to a ridiculous level. We are talking about recharging and electric car battery. Not building a factory with 500 lathes, 300 milling machines, 10 welders, a/c, etc.
>>
>>14002364
You are a literal fucking retard with no concept of how electricity works.

Shut the fuck up and leave.
>>
>>14002436
>The loads during summer are from A/C evaporators. Which have a significantly higher amperage load than charging a battery.
NOT WHEN THE BATTERY IS DRAWING 70KWH+ IN 15 MINUTES YOU BRAINDEAD CUNT
>>
>>14002433
Because as I said, you need a power source, sperg.
>>
>>14002433
He doesn't understand what hes saying.
You can take any input current and modulated it to higher voltage, lower volts and higher amps, or what have you. Only thing you can't do is directly increase the total power of the input. You're only modulating that finite quantity that is getting delivered.
He seems to quite literally think that you can put some magic circuit in the mix and increase the total power delivered.
>>
>>14002445
Excellent.
Now, spackle, how do you get the power from that power source to what is drawing it.
>>
>>14002451
It's like this faggot thinks 1000v @ 100A is delivered to your door or something
>>
>>14002451
No I don't. Your whole neighborhood is not going to buy electric cars. Ever. In any fantasy. And even if 3 people did, they won't need to fast charge them every day, constantly, or at the time as the other 2.
>>
>>14001767
>no electric history.
umm maybe pick up a book nigger, you might learn something
>>
>>14002458
Jesus dickhead, your whole neighborhood does not NEED to buy electric cars. You are trying to draw 70 cunting kWh in the space of 15 minutes through a power system that is already right on the edge. Even IF your house wiring would hold up (it wouldn't), the fucking wires going from the substation would not deal with that much power draw, they would fucking melt. In order for Porsches bullshit to be true, you would need a dedicated 600v line going to your house.
>>
Once carbon nanotubes come into play around 10 years from now, I might consider buying an EV.

Still though, those shitty Tesla's can burn through 75kwh in just three hours? Most engines only burn 200g of fuel a kWh. What the fuck is supposed to be so much more efficient here?
>>
>>14002480
To put this in perspective, a normal house would use 40kwh over the entire goddamn day. You want almost double that in 15 minutes
>>
>>14002452
LS1 generator
>>
>>14002458
So you're just totally moving the goal posts miles away because you realized you're absolutely in over your head.

Cute.

85kWh, thats the large battery Tesla offers. A slightly more modest 70 kWh figure is what the other anon is referencing.
Try to calculate how much power needs to get delivered to your wall outlet to the charger in order to charge that battery from 0% to 100% in exactly 2 hours. Then 1 hour.
If you want to pretend to know what you're talking about then I want to see you factor this out. If not you can shut the fuck up and stop posting.
>>
>>14002488
40kwh seems excessive desu
>>
>>14002493
>rednecks fast charging their 2025 shitesla using out dated 350s guzzling the already expensive gasoline reserves.

This thought makes me lol
>>
>>14002287
fairly sure you've never worked on anything electrical in your life and flunked high school
>>
>>14002502
Depends on how many people but for a medium to large family that's pretty much what you're looking at.

It just boggles my mind that there are people on /o/ who literally don't know what electricity is. Literally the only way porsche can offer this is if they have a 50 or 60kwh battery pack they will sell with each car, otherwise there's no way.
Fuck you'd need to upgrade the lines for a small industrial area to deal with this
>>
>>14002502
Its not that far off, he might have just made a typo.
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=97&t=3

Average house in the US is using around 30kwh per day, thats factoring in a national average though, and there are excessive lows that skew it downward.
>>
>>14002514
Pretty much what i based it off.

Think of a family of, say, 5 in the summer holidays with the air-con cranked and all the kids at home using TVs and shit, i'd say 40kwh is pretty fair.

If we go by the national US average it's even more ridiculous. Double the power a house uses in 24hrs over the course of 15 minutes.

Just thinking of the heat you'd need to deal with is giving me a headache
>>
>>14001690
>€700 million (approx. US$758.5 million)
could've just fed the poor starving africans
>>
Porsche didn't say you could charge it that fast at home.
>>
>>14002528
>implying fed the niggers will improve anything
>>
>>14002529
>accompanying
So what? They give you a little charging box you can only use at porsche fast chargers?
>>
>>14001659
>Tesla BTFO?
Not really because Porsche is creating a higher priced electric car and Tesla is making an affordable one. Just like higher and lower end gasoline powered cars. Like Toyota Corolla and an Audi A7.

It's all gonna end guys, it's all electric in the future.
>>
>>14002546
Turbos, diesel, and tandem electric engines are the future.
Full electric vehicles has too many hurdles for them to realistically clear in any foreseeable period.

We'll probably have some 2L i4s with twin turbos, variable timing, high output lasers replacing spark plugs, and computers totally controlling all engine characteristics to squeeze out every tiny fraction of a mile per gallon. Put an electric engine over the rear axle with aggressive brake regeneration. Thats what we're likely to see in the average cheap sedan 10 years from now.
50mpg+ gas electric hybrids, 70mpg+ diesel electric hybrids.
>>
ITT: Scares tesla shills afraid of some inevitable competition
>>
>>14002853
More like faggots that don't understand that Porsche pulled those numbers from their ass and don't understand how absurd they are, both from a physics and infrastructure sense.
>electric/hybrid car buyers can't even be assed to run a 220V line to charge their cars faster
>Porsche wants you to believe they can use a charging system that would at the barest minimum require 3-phase
>>
>>14002871
tesla and nissan also give figures for 3 phase as well as domestic supply
>>
>>14002871
im on about how people are immediately discounting porsche because somehow they think they cant compete with a small company a few years from now

Tesla are only filling a gap, as soon as the huge automakers pickup, tesla are done
>>
>>14002538
or maybe they give you a fuckhuge charging box that spends the night charging up then dumps it into the vehicle when you park in the right spot

>>14002883
tesla are the new dyson. everyone else should be afraid as the next big three car makers will be tesla google and apple
>>
>>14002881
In that vein, it seems that Porsche seems to be giving figures of their car's charging times hooked up to a nuclear powerplant.
>>
>>14002889
>or maybe they give you a fuckhuge charging box that spends the night charging up then dumps it into the vehicle when you park in the right spot

>porsche will ship the Mission E with a fuckhuge battery/capacitor back that will murdalize the fuck out of 20 people at once
RIP in piss Porschefags, you will not be missed
>>
>>14002895
i wonder how much charge a supercapacitor the size of an oil drum would hold
>>
>>14002889
>tesla are the new dyson.
I don't think its fair to compare those two. Dyson did come up with great tech relating to vacuums, but then proceeded to just patent it anyway. Tesla cant really patent the use of battery and motor usage in EVs and all the software that comes with it.

Tesla are going a great job kickstarting major EV interest, but i dont see them sticking around for so long after EVs really become mainstream
>>
>>14002900
I think Tesla have successfully made a name for themselves the way Dyson did though.
That's just my opinion though.
>>
it's going to have garbage range, mediocre power, and cost FAR too much
>>
>>14001947
Kek'd cause rekt
>>
>>14002555
>computers totally controlling all engine characteristics to squeeze out every tiny fraction of a mile per gallon.
Exactly m8.
>>
>>14002537
yes, it can end the world hunger by like 60%!
>>
>>14002889
IIRC, Tesla doesn't really 'own' any of their tech
They have open patents so they can avoid getting sued
>>
>porsche announces intention to be 7 years behind tesla with marginal improvements and slower 0-60 because they don't want to make conventional porsches look stupid
>oh by the way we're going to charge faster except our competitor owns the only charging infrastructure that will get us anywhere near our goals
Attractive car but pretty silly intentions desu.
I would love to see someone release a high end pure performance electric rather than doing a souped up sedan because Tesla did it when it was the thing that made economic sense for them at the time.
>>
>>14002555
tesla's 200 mile range 35k car comes out in a little less than two years.
chevy already has a competing car of roughly similar range and price to come out around the same time.
tesla's been building up their supercharger infrastructure in the background and will have all of both costs and corridors going across the center of the country by then.

all the while, battery tech is improving, and this is assuming stuff like lithium-air and sodium batteries dont take off
>>
Telsa needs to first make some money.

I hope the big car companies really get put in some pressure with the electric cars BUT Telsa still hasn't made any money. And one of their big sources of income now is selling credits to the other car manufacturers that aren't as 'green', but those companies are needing less and less of those as they get more efficient and come out with hybrid and electric offerings of their own.
>>
>>14003451
...also, I should add, I just drove a Tesla P85 S and there were a few key problems I see: You're really paying for the technology, but the interior is pretty bare, boring and uninspiring. I think after you get over the tech bit it would be a boring car to own. Charging took forever, and needed better power than I had available in Burgerland. Also the door handles were bullshit, and broke / got stuck in the out position. Ludacris power mode was certainly fun but I think after you take your friends out a few times it would get old after a while.
>>
>>14003451
The thing about the "Tesla isn't making money" meme is it ignores that the only reason Tesla isn't making money is because it goes into their charging network and battery plant. In order to actually compete on the same level, at some point everyone else has to buy in or invest just as much into doing the same thing over again.

Also,
>Telsa
>Ludacris
>>
>>14003493
Well sure, and I'm not sure how far along they are in their investment. I keep hearing 'next year we'll be making money' but that's been for a few years now. I hope they do.

However, companies that have lots of other business offsetting the cost of developing their own electric car manufacturing have some significant advantage there. I mean VW is a huge company, and so is Daimler, and a bunch of other companies that now have their electric dev teams now.

>Telsa
>Ludacris
Oh on the car I drove to have maximum power there was a "Ludacris" mode, I think a throwback to Spaceballs.

And it is fast from start. I did a bunch of runs and it is really fun, but it lays down pretty fast after that initial rush. After 3-4 runs it is much slower than when you first do them though, I think because everything heats up and it pulls power out so you don't cook anything. For sure the later 'acceleration runs' were much slower than the first. Obviously also eats a bunch of battery and can hear the cooling fans come on.

After leaving it for a few hours and then doing some more acceleration runs it was back, but then quickly lost power again. Problem with that car is the acceleration from zero is the only interesting thing about it, so, that's what everyone wanted to check out.
>>
tesla is shit.
go back to reddit.
>>
File: Ludacris_Midtown.jpg (71 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Ludacris_Midtown.jpg
71 KB, 900x600
>>14003540
The 'gigafactory' is by far their biggest investment and I wouldn't expect to see real profits any time before it is in volume production for a relevant time period. That will make their cars look like a side project.

This is Ludacris btw, that was the joke.
>>
>>14003540
They had to build the plant, they're setting up charging networks around the world and they needed to pay back the government loans.

They're very nearly at the end of their large costs and will begin reporting profit in 2017/2018. It's why i have $2k of tesla stock right now.
>>
>>14003540
making massive losses doesn't matter as long as you have cashflow and revenues

look at ford 10 years ago. this is nothing as it's actual capital investment rather than just normal operating losses
>>
OP here. im a /b/tard trying to suck as much cock as possible
>>
>>14003595
>>14003609
>>14003630

The question is will BMW, Porsche and Mercedes yank a bunch of electric car customers in the meantime.

and Telsa has high customer satisfaction, but terrible reliability, so basically you have fanboys/girls driving them for fashion now and they have another car - I think as electric becomes a real alternative and it isn't just people driving them to be green/first/fashionable/etc people will be way more upset when the shit breaks.

Early adopters have been pretty understanding.
>>
>>14003732
>mercedes
Their only electrics use Tesla drivetrains
>Porsche
Mission E is going to be significantly more expensive and many years late, with the only real advantage being that it looks better and tracks better. I have to wonder if those things will remain true in 5 years.

BMW could potentially do something interesting. Right now the i3 is more of an early adopter car by far than a model S due to low range (even with ICE) and looking like a fat pug.
>>
Porsche/VAG will have to build their own fast charger networks in NAmerica, Europe, China and Japan.

They will have battery sourcing issues. Which is the bottle neck in Tesla and every other EV's production.
>>
>>14002444
>15 minutes vs hours at a time
>>
File: grin.jpg (28 KB, 390x310) Image search: [Google]
grin.jpg
28 KB, 390x310
>Porsche would rather go electric than admit that RR < FR
>>
>>14004015
>not 4 motor AWD
>>
File: B4vl7GdIUAAI7si.jpg-large.jpg (170 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
B4vl7GdIUAAI7si.jpg-large.jpg
170 KB, 960x720
>>14004076
forgot muh pic
>>
File: literal fearmonger.png (2 MB, 1280x905) Image search: [Google]
literal fearmonger.png
2 MB, 1280x905
>Porsche creates Mission E
>P85D BTFO
>Nobody buys from Tesla anymore because Porsche's don't have shitty plastic seats and an iPad for a console
>Musk loses all his income since he spent all his savings on failed rocket engines
>Shills harder for automatic robot driving, calling the Mission E unsafe
>Tries to get the Guvment to ban manually driven cars
>The Mission E was an unexpected opponent, and his shilling isn't yet powerful enough to defeat lobbying from the Big Three
>Musk breaks down and returns to his primal instincts
>Returns to South Africa and burns blacks with leftover tires from the Tesla factory

Elon on Suicide Watch
>>
>>14004196
>last year's P85D is faster than Mission E will be in 5 years
>Germoney on $uicide watch
step it up europe
>>
File: patriotgraphic.jpg (80 KB, 704x566) Image search: [Google]
patriotgraphic.jpg
80 KB, 704x566
Waiting for my Turboencabulator

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-chryslers-failed-turboencabulator-hybrid-program-patriot-games/
>>
>>14004265

You're about 4 months early on the April Fools jokes Anon.
>>
>>14004214
>P85D 0-62 is so quick it's physically painful, no-one uses it to its full potential, ever
>acceleration figures from 62 and beyond are much more relevant, and as it turns out, Tesla's are rubbish.
>>
>>14004308
but benchracers only care about 0-60 times, power figures, lap times and sometimes top speeds
>>
>>14004265
Leld at that
>>
>>14001659

>if you have to ask

No
>>
>>14001659
How is Tesla BTFO'd? Musk wants competition to happen so that the future of cars is electric
>>
File: 2012-03-21-chrysler_patriot-1.jpg (89 KB, 650x431) Image search: [Google]
2012-03-21-chrysler_patriot-1.jpg
89 KB, 650x431
>>14004325
>>14004340
Porsche Mission E = Audi Mission = Volkswagen E.

>>14004323
>>14004287
>>
>>14004015
What's Rr and Fr stand for?
>>
Why do they have to make some big bumbling shitbox panamera like car. Build something smaller.

And quit making everything cost hundreds of thousand of dollar.

Porsche loses.

Maybe the next electric car shouldn't even look like a car??
>>
>>14004482
Never played any Grand Turismo game?

RR = Rear engine Rearwheel drive example: Toyota MR2
FR = Front engine Rearwheel drive example:
Toyota Supra
>>
>>14004697
Except the mr2 is MR, retard. It's mid engine not rear. The Porsche 911 is RR
>>
>>14004697
Thanks.

>Never played any Grand Turismo game?
Not in a long time
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.