[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why whenever I mention buying an Audi, BMW, Volvo, VW etc people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
Why whenever I mention buying an Audi, BMW, Volvo, VW etc people alwayyyys say be prepared for high maintenance costs.
Yet Lexus, Toyota, Honda, people act like they dont need servicing or something.

Is it really going to cost so much more for me to own a 2006 Audi A3 compared to a 2006 Honda Civic?
>>
>>13996637
When it breaks. And where do they have rhomboid license plates?
>>
Yes yes it will
I bought a 2006 and 2012 gti and they're both complete pieces of shit

The cam Fowler went of the mk6 and it fucked the cams and fuel pump and VW doesn't have a "fix" for the problem
>>
>>13996637
We aren't talking about oil changes when we say that. A brake job on a Volvo costs more than it does on a Toyota because the Volvo has better brakes. Better parts cost more money.

Also VW is complete shit, don't even include that in the same sentence as those other brands.
>>
>>13996637
Because german cars are designed to be leased by rich people and they apply this philosophy to their cheap ecoboxes as well for some reason
>>
>>13996642
cant just get a new fuel pump?
>>
>>13996642
How did a cam follower atop the cylinder head break a fuel pump in the tank?

You sound dumb
>>
>>13996647
When I change brake pads on my toyota I have many options on price/brand, volvo and the like dont have these different brands?
>>
>>13996657
They do, but most are European made so you get to pay the import tax.
>>
>>13996637
Is that a tranny? And I don't mean Manuél.
>>
File: Extreme-bodybuilding1.jpg (50 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Extreme-bodybuilding1.jpg
50 KB, 400x300
>>13996666
>>
>>13996670
girl in tranny make up, best
>>
>>13996637
Here's a fun game.

Go get the prices for a set of brake pads on a civic compared to an A3.

Once you have answered your own question, shut the fuck up and buy a lexus.
>>
>>13996679
The A3 brake pads are cheaper..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bendix-Front-EURO-Brake-Pad-Set-DB1405-EURO-fits-AUDI-A3-1-6-1-8-2-0-FSI-2-0-/151722637268

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bendix-Front-Heavy-Duty-Brake-Pad-Set-DB1191-HD-fits-HONDA-CIVIC-1-7-ES1-1-/161742041957?hash=item25a893b365
>>
>>13996690
Those are heavy duty. Bendix GCT pads are the same price, but the difference is when you want to be a faggot and cheap out.
Ferodo shit can be found for the civic for next to nothing.

Now imagine this all over the entire car. No part possible to get truly cheap without it being dodgy, increased hours from simple things due to retarded designs and special tools

Price a fuel pump for both and the civic will be 1/2 the price

And this is all a civic. We have fuck all honda in aus, so the better comparison is corolla or camry.
>>
>>13996717
>We have fuck all honda in aus
theyre everywhere in sydney
>>
>>13996736
Yeah but in comparison to other shit they're no where near as popular as they are in the US.
>>
Euro manufactures use union labor. Asaians manufactures dont. Which part do you think costs more?
>>
>>13996637
german parts are expensive.
probably labour too because eurokeks.
that's it.
>>
But Euro cars are made to perfection, therefor I wont have to buy parts for them as much as asian manufactured vehicles, right
>>
https://youtu.be/ZPJ64sTa7KI

apply to any other mid-higher end german brand, possibly deduct 20%

authorised service in austria costs 3€+/min
>>
>>13996849
>apply to any other mid-higher end german brand

even a basic 2006 Audi A3 with 200,000 km's?
>>
>>13996849
fuck hes ugly.
>>
>>13996939

It's because there's a culture gap when it comes to crafts.

In Japan, simplicity and elegance is a virtue. In Euroland, luxury is associated with excess and conspicuous coalition. That means that if you buy a more expensive car, the expectation is that you're going to be fine with paying the price to keep it running in good shape. In Japan, the best, top tier ALSO means a car with its as close to ENGINEERING perfection as possible. Any engineer will arise work something that's more efficient, simpler, and more dependable/reliable is possible because it just makes sense. In Europe, doing that would be deemed "cheap" and "low class".
>>
>>13996637
A 2006 Audi will probably bleed you dry compared to a Civic they are correct, but older premium Euro cars are pretty well built. e30s and e34, rwd Volvos, Merc 300s, etc will last almost forever if you take care of their maintenance. The maintenance intervals need to be more strictly followed than other manufacturers in my experience.
>>
>>13996963
then don't go and fuck him queerbait
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
>>13996654
>>13996655

There's a mechanical pump in the tsi and fsi motors that's driven by the cam, I have the broken cam and pieces you cunt
>>
>>13996637
Lots of reasons.
>parts better quality and most are european made even if not OEM so slightly more expensive than the chinkshit you might put in a civic
>electrical systems much more complicated, lots more individual parts that can go bad
>most luxury car owners take their shit to the stealership
I went and asked the dealership how much they'd charge to put a new fuel pump in my E39. $500. Fuel filter? $300.
It cost me $150 to get the pump and $80 to get the filter. I did the labor myself. I had never even changed the oil on a car before and I had no idea what I was doing going into it and it was easy as shit.

tl;dr little maintenance shit is super expensive if you go to the dealership, if you do your own work or go to an indy mechanic and don't buy OEM parts for literally everything it's just like owning any other car
>>
>>13997985
Oh, the other thing normies always overestimate is the insurance costs of having a nice car vs a 4cyl shitbox. I went from a 95 civic to an M3 and my premium went up $50.
>>
Because the Lexus and Acura and Infiniti share common parts with their pleb tier cousins. Parts are cheaper, but expect the labour rate to be similar to any other luxury brand. On the plus side, anything not Lexus/etc specific can be taken to a regular Toyota/etc dealership.

I don't know what Audi is doing though :^)
>>
>>13998032
Audi shares a ton of things with VW, but they're shit and expensive too.
>>
>>13997985

I bought a purolator fuel filter for $15 for my Miata. 80 is absurd for cardboard in a can.
>>
>>13998295
The fuel pressure regulator is built into the filter. Add the cost of that in for your Miata and it's basically the same.
>>
>>13996758
Euro cars have teriible comsumer ratings, they're designed for visability, not economics
>>
>>13996963
hed fuck you up pal
>>
>>13998333

Damn. How long do they last? I try and replace mine one a year since its cheap and easy. That's about 12k miles.
>>
>>13998618
30k miles is the service interval for them, the previous owner hadn't changed it since 2011 and they drove about 15k miles a year and it just failed last month so obviously they can go longer than that if you're okay with potentially stalling your car without notice.
>>
>>13996641
Know how I know you're gay?
>>
>>13998665
He posts on 4chan, this automatically makes him a faggot.
>>
>>13996637
I've owned BMW since out of college. Only drive 6k miles per year but I haven't had ANY major problems in three years. Only had to do an oil change every year and once replace a cabin filter.
>>
>>13996637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COX7Yxhr4ks
>>
>>14000016
seems easy
do you change the oil the same way as any other car?
>>
>>14000045
Until that sensor dies. Then you pay the extra money to have the dealership drain all of your oil in order to check the level.
>>
>>14000061
Seriously. There's like 50 different components that can fail in that system. There's probably several sensors. There's a half mile of wiring. Several computers, the screen, and all the knobs and buttons on the console.

Or you could have a piece of metal you shove into a tube. Oh the threads on it are messed? Hey, let me just wrap some Teflon tape around it and carry on like nothing happened.
>>
threads convincing me to keep my toyota yaris until i can afford a lexus, instead od buying an audi or bmw
>>
>>14000203
Working at a car dealership and seeing all the used BMWs/VWs/Audis that customers trade in gives me nightmares.
The only German cars I haven't seen with many problems was Mercedes.
>>
>>13996637

Jesus Christ, her face looks photshopped ffs.
>>
>>13996666
Checked
>>
>>14001712
her boobs, legs and collarbones are really shooped as well
>>
File: 1432173327615.gif (2 MB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1432173327615.gif
2 MB, 270x270
>>13996637
Well they don't need servicing because by the time they would, they would have just bought another car. However Merbenz tends to have electrical problems which are "cheapest" to fix while the BMW Dealership has never encountered a possible error that they would need the customer to pay about $80k for the software just to diagnose an engine related problem on a now 15 year old car.
>>
File: ag_07saab93_nightpnloff.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ag_07saab93_nightpnloff.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
>>14000246
Wait till you see a GM-era Saab.

I just traded in my '08 9-3 Aero two weeks ago towards a Mini Cooper.

I knew the thing was all kinds of fucked up - CV Joint clicking, Coil pack causing a misfire, Brake booster only working after warming the car up, Power steering pump sometimes working and sometimes not, coolant disappearing into thin air and needing a top off every other week...

About 5 minutes after I signed it over as a trade, they give me the keys to my(their) Saab back so I can hit the bank to get the check issued.

Halfway to the bank:

>Stability Control Failure
>Traction Control Failure
>Limited Performance Warning
>Check Engine Light
>ABS Light
>Tranny locks its self into 2nd Gear

Small wonder this happened -after- their test drive, rather than before it.

This same car spent a month in the shop under warranty when it was new because fucking GM can't build an engine worth a damn, so they had to take the head off and get the valve guides machined, and had the CV joint replaced twice before.
>>
So if I want a reliable lower maintenance luxury car im best getting a lexus?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (14 KB, 269x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
14 KB, 269x300
>>14003204
Yes, as long as you're cool with your luxury vehicle being luxury with air quotes. Lexuses are basically just toyotas with leather interiors and power seats.
Otherwise, get a manual (automatics have potential transmission issues in this series) BMW E46 or E39 that's already had the cooling system replaced. That was the only major issue these had other than the instrument cluster losing a few pixels like pic related.
Once you get it, preventatively replace the fuel pump and filter (most of them are at the right mileage for the fuel pump to start failing) and clean out the MAF and ICV if the previous owner hasn't done it. If you want your car to be running at max power get the VANOS seals redone and then you should be home free.
>>
>>14003656
>Lexuses are basically just toyotas with leather interiors and power seats
This is so wrong. By that logic an Audi is just a VW with leather and power seats. Other than the ES and CT, Lexus cars have their own engines and platforms. The IS, RC, GS, and LS are all Lexus RWD platforms. They don't share many components with Toyota anymore.
>>
>>14003703
>By that logic an Audi is just a VW with leather and power seats
but they are, even moreso than Lexuses are Toyotas
>>
>>14003703
The newer ones are a bit different but because this is /o/ and we're all a bunch of poorfags driving cars that belonged to rich men 15 years ago, we're almost certainly not talking about a brand new Lexus. Their older models were literally Camrys with power seats and leather interiors.
And yes, audi is basically just a VW with leather and power seats.
>>
File: losers.jpg (19 KB, 304x310) Image search: [Google]
losers.jpg
19 KB, 304x310
>>14003656
>muh luxury

Luxury is defined by leather interior, chrome, and the badge on the front and rear of the car. Nothing more. No one cares about anything else.
>>
>>14003738
Don't forget the iPad dash.
>>
File: 20150822_203914.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150822_203914.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14003751

Well that's just a given at this point. Even Ford shitboxes are coming with iPad dashes now, it's a gimmick that sells cars to ignorant shits.

But what really grinds my gears:

>built in navigation systems

-can't alter while driving
-usually shit interface
-usually takes up valuable dash space where controls could be housed
-usually doubles as touch screen interface so you have THAT bullshit to deal with

I like having my GPS in the top left corner, and I like having big control knobs/dials to manage my climate and stereo. I can do everything without looking at it.

I hope my car lasts forever. If I can get 300,000km out of it, I may consider just putting a cheap junkyard engine in it and running it as a winter vehicle forever.
>>
>>13996637
Don't buy german cars unless you're prepared to pay hundreds or even thousands for repairs after the insurance runs out.
>>
>>14003738
Luxury cars should have a powerful engine with a comfortable interior with lots of little features that do cool shit. I've only ever owned one luxury car, an E39 540i, but these are the little things that did it for me
>the little coin magazine in the door
>the orange overhead lights that shine down on the center console and shifter
>autodimming rearview mirror
>seats with leg supports and a million different comfort adjustments
>rain sensing wipers
>speed sensitive wipers
>speed sensitive radio
>you can flash the brights while you're getting out of the car and the headlights will light the path ahead of you for 10 seconds
>passenger mirror tilts down in reverse
>you can blow cold air on your face while blowing hot air at your legs
>built in oil meter
>onboard diagnostics in the instrument cluster
>if the car is turned off and the engine is >75C you can push a button on the console to vent the engine heat into the car to keep warm
>heated locks
>heated mirrors
>heated washer jets
>button to raise or dip headlights depending on amount of passengers you have
>intelligent recirculation
>rechargable flashlight built into glovebox
there's lots more shit and I'm sure modern luxury cars have more than this but coming from a jap shitbox to an actual nice car these all amazed me.

>>14003779
nice meme
>>
>>14003772
My biggest gripe with modern cars are the capacitive fucking buttons everywhere.
>>
>>13996652
My boss who gets $89K annually owns a 2008 Toyota Camry and that's his only car.
>>
>>14003800

I hate that on anything at all, if I had a car with that shit I would drive it into a semi.

All of that shit is invariably more expensive to repair, too. If a dial breaks or stops working on my car, the part is probably $20-40, plus the PAIT of ripping the dash apart to get at it.
But with this touchscreen/capacitive shit, it's the dash destruction + $100-700 for a fucking satnav headunit.
>>
File: pepe harper.jpg (42 KB, 500x538) Image search: [Google]
pepe harper.jpg
42 KB, 500x538
>>14003811

>have a Great Uncle
>he and my Grandma grew up dirt poor
>went to university, got his PhD solely on scholarships
>graduated with top honours
>spoke 7 languages fluently, another 5 partially
>was a university professor and dean for decades
>made $200,000 a year for decades
>literally multi-millionaire
>drove a Chrysler K-car for 15 years
>finally it rusted so badly that it was deemed unsafe to drive
>bought a Toyota Camry around year 2000
>still drives that to present day

...more sadly though:

>he lives out west, only met him a few times in my life
>the nicest guy I've ever known though
>sent my sister and I $50 at Christmas every year
>always so happy to hear from us when we would call him
>talked about all kinds of awesome stuff that my parents never want to discuss (politics, science, religion, etc.)
>recently he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's
>cannot remember who I am when I call him
>barely remembers his own wife
>sometimes thinks he's 25 studying languages in France
>somehow still speaks all 7 languages perfectly
>>
>>14003819
Yeah, sure a button may wear out faster, but at least it's easy to replce just the button and not the entire fucking center console.
>>
File: DSC_0601 - Copy.jpg (1 MB, 3610x2400) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0601 - Copy.jpg
1 MB, 3610x2400
>>14003855

>muh mechanical dials

Literally my climate knobs are rotary dials that physically move a manifold inside the dash, it's some kind of diaphragm or something that reroutes the air. Temp control dial is just a blend valve that allows more or less hot air to mix with outside/cool air. Only a few electronic buttons I ever use, and they're for stuff like defrost.

Based Toyota literally designing shit for longevity above all else. My car might be boring and turdish looking, but I love it. Everything works so perfectly.
>>
>>14003703
>By that logic an Audi is just a VW with leather and power seats

They literally are. Same engines same chassis same gearbox, same interiors in multiple cases
>>
>>14004057

>have friend with 2.0 TDI Golf
>constantly brags about how quality it is
>"you know anon, it's got the same transmission as the AUDI cars"
>>
>>14004181
Now you can tell him he bought a shit car not just because it's a VW but because they cheated. How's that recall working out for him?
>>
Did /o/ always hate VW or is it because of the emissions scandal?
>>
>>14004322
/o/ hates VWs since they were all built in Mexico, as well as the quality control that comes with that.
>>
>>14004322
theyre overpriced, notoriously hard to work on.

and the fact that dubbers exist is probably a big motivating factor.
>>
>>14003784
>nice meme
thanks i made it myself (unlike audi)
>>
>>14004450
>unlike audi
>implying audi is some sort of separate entity and not simply another name for volkswagen
just because VW creates the illusion of a separate brand doesn't mean that brand actually exists
>>
>>14004322
the cars need to be exceptional given the fanbase/typical owner
they're not.
>>
Why don't German car engineers follow Toyota philosophy of reliability?
>>
>>14004517
Germans like to put the newest shit in their cars whereas toyota lags years behind even the rest of the non-german car industry.
didn't toyota basically just get off that archaic 4 speed shit? or are they still doing it?
>>
>>14004531
>>14004517
Putting the newest shit in cars is also okay for germans because their domestic market is meticulous as shit when it comes to maintaining their vehicles, so when a CEL comes on a German will rush to the shop and an American will drive around for a month and then go "y bimmer no work german car sux"
>>
>>14004543
I'd imagine this plays a huge part in the terrible reputation German cars have on this (mostly American) board.
>>
File: lincoln.jpg (67 KB, 748x497) Image search: [Google]
lincoln.jpg
67 KB, 748x497
Another car not well known for its reliability is the lincoln navigator
>>
>>13998000
Added safety features.
>>
>>13996637
Let's put an end to this right now:

Audi:
>if you buy used from 2000's, expect high maintinence
>if it was an S line or some shit, expect it to be in shit condition

BMW:
>always reliable
>maybe rust
>OEM parts are absurdly expensive

Vulva:
>if you buy from 2000s, expect high maintinence
>if you buy brand new, very few issues and minor gremlins

VW:
>always been meh reliability
>pricey parts, difficult oil changes

Lexus
>always been very reliable
>never issues

Honda and Toyota:
>if you buy a late 90s, youll never have to replace shit
>2000s, meh reliability but expected intervals of repairs
dont know a lot about honda/toyota after 2010 stopped giving a fuck
>>
>>14005262
>VW:
>>always been meh reliability
Nah, they're pretty similar to Audi pre-2000s, maybe slightly worse.
>>
>>14005262
>Honda and Toyota meh reliability
>BMW always reliable
No.
>>
>>14005335
Sounds pretty accurate from my anecdotal experience. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and BMWs my whole life. The BMWs have always been reliable if you keep up with the expected maintenance schedule. The 90s Hondas and Toyotas would run forever and basically just needed oil changes and brakes every few years.
Got a Honda Odyssey for my wife in 2002. The transmission immediately shit the bed after about 20k miles, and it was supposedly a widespread problem.
Got a civic in 2007, weird shit went wrong with it all the time without warning.
If I could drive E39s my whole life I would be a happy man. The M54 is a fucking amazing engine.
>>
>>14005262
>Audi
A3 2006 2.0T DSG, this engine and gearbox likely to shit the bed without lots of love and care? Second option is an e46
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.