[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4chan: I see nothing wrong with 8 speed automatics 4chan: GET
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
4chan: I see nothing wrong with 8 speed automatics
4chan: GET THIS CVT SHIT OUT OF HERE!
>>
>and 8 speed transmission is the same as a cvt

do you see where your logic may be flawed?
>>
>>13994360
CVT's need more refinement.

They work wonderfully on low power engines driving motor put-puts around but ask them to pass anything in the triple digit horsepower range and the belt shits itself.
>>
>>13994360
Ones more reliable as yet than the other.

Whats the problem?>>13994395
>>
That 8 speed Auto from Chevy is pretty sexy.
>>
>>13994395
Once again 4chan is wrong. My car has 175HP and a CVT and guess what, the belt hasn't shit itself. Guess what there is also a 6 cylinder version of my car that makes 256 HP and also has a CVT.
>>
>>13994360
>friends old ass shitbox with a 4 speed auto makes it up my steep driveway just fine
>other friends new car with a cvt slips all the way up and smells like burning transfluid when it gets to the top.
Also
>simulated shift points
Get that shit out of here.

Also also, friend works at a nissan dealership as a service writer. They replaxe 6 cvt's a week on cars with less than 30k miles.
>>
>>13994360
Cvts are great if your engine is pathetic enough that power can e routed reliably to the wheels using a thin strip of rubber.
>>
File: ticking time bomb.jpg (57 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
ticking time bomb.jpg
57 KB, 640x425
>>13994503
>My car has 175HP and a CVT and guess what, the belt hasn't shit itself.
See pic

>>13994402
>Whats the problem?
CVTs are great when the horsepower numbers don't even come close to 100 HP. They can't handle much power reliably. And another thing is that CVT's are NOT new technology. CVT's have been around for more than half a century. If there was a way to get it to reliably handle power, they'd have found it by now.

My step-mom had a Saturn with a CVT. She went through 3 transmissions before the car hit 100,000 miles. And many Nissan owners are having the same issue. It's going to break sooner or later.

One of my fathers co-workers just recently had their Nissan Rogue's CVT replaced. The Rogue has less than 30k on it.

>If they're so unreliable, why are automakers pushing CVTs so hard
Fuel economy targets. CVTs are extremely compact transmissions that offer the best possible fuel economy from any engine. But the cost is reliability. It doesn't pan out well in the long run because the gas savings dnt cover 1 transmission replacement, let along 3 before you get rid of it.

The only cars with reliable CVTs are all hybrids.
>>
>>13994503
Altima coupe?
>>
>>13994902
The Altima sedan and Nissan Rogue were also offered with the 2.5L or 3.5L.

Anyways, hes still retarded.
>They offered it this way so it must be reliable!
Right... And Hitler never meant to kill 6 million Jews. He only wanted to scare them a little.
>>
>>13994418
It has a misshapen ass
>>
File: 1425855235283.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1901) Image search: [Google]
1425855235283.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1901
>>13994418
Sadly, that won't help the corvette be any faster.
>>
>>13994561
>The only cars with reliable CVTs are all hybrids.

And it should be worth noting that their CVT are their electric motors.
>>
>>13994561
My Accord with CVT is at 60k miles, I think it depends on who makes the CVTs.
>>
>>13994995
ticking time bomb. Just you wait.
Accords also didn't get CVTs until 2013.
>>
>>13995021
It is a 2013 Accord, I'm not worried since my transmission isn't from JATCO.
>>
>>13995061
I'd still worry about it.

List of reliable CVT transmissions used in cars:
1: .............
>>
>>13995066
1. Scooters
2. Go karts
3. [END OF LIST]
>>
>>13995146
I said used in cars but that's a good point as well.
>>
>>13994503
Are you talking about the Subaru outback, because the H6 version doesn't have a CVT, it's got a traditional auto.
>>
>>13995251
He's clearly talking about a Nissan with the 2.5L I4 and optional 3.5L V6
>>
>>13995066
I put 180,000km onto my old ford fusions tranny without so much as a single service and it worked perfectly
>>
>>13995310
Those use a normal automatic. Ford doesn't use CVT's
>>
Cvt a shit because it's too unrefined to handle proper torque
Almost all 8-9 second cars at the dragstrip use some absurdly built transmissions. A lot of the high boost guys even go all the way back to built 2 speed powerglides.
Automatics can shift quickly enough through the gears while also having the durability to transfer monster amounts of torque. Until Cvt can compare, it's a system not worth my time.
>>
>>13995146
what scooters and go karts make over 100hp?
that'd be fucking scary. most scooters get speed wobbles at 45 with the little 2smoke
>>
>>13995251
The H6 now is a CVT as well. Disappointing. I like my H6 with real gears.
>>
>>13995456
its not about unrefinement it simply how its designed witch sounds the same but its not in no way can a standard cvt belt handle tourqe its just thin steel plates linked together ive seen wone brke from simply dropping it where as auto has actual teeth on actual gears, cvts have the belt around two shafts that are the tourqe provider and reciever. as it doesnt have the best way to actually bite the cylinder and the fragileness of the chain it puts a lot of problem areas in them
>>
>>13994959

God I hate this infographic. You can clearly see that the vette has more physical grip and that the driver just blew the last few corners.
>>
>>13994360
I think you're missing something here.
>>
File: 14.jpg (12 KB, 280x103) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
12 KB, 280x103
>>13994395
>Talking shit
Williams F1 managed to make a CVT F1 car before it was banned by the FIA
Take a look:
https://youtu.be/x3UpBKXMRto
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.