[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1971 MCI Bus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x450
If I were to buy (and drive) this would I need any type of special license or certification?
>https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5340006632.html
>>
>>13993799
If it has Air Brakes you'll need that endorsement on your license
>>
It'll cost twice as much just to get it home.
>>
>>13993799
>paying someone to haul off their garbage
>>
>>13993799

If it's still titled as a bus you will need a driver with a CDL. But...

> sitting in someone's yard for 10 years
> implying it will be in road-worthy shape

You'll be paying at least $1000 for a tow truck to get it out of there. Lowball the guy and offer scrap price because realistically that's all he has.
>>
>>13993847
its not even worth scrap price because you have to pay to get it out of there. he should be paying someone to take it / dismantle it.

>select all images with busses
>>
>>13993827
No. You only need that if you have a CDL.
>>
>>13993847

Well if its a diesel it may very well fire up with a little coaxing.

Old diesels are hard to kill.
>>
>>13993871
Yes.

When a vehicle has Air Brakes you need that endorsement every time. Probably get by with a Class B with Air Brakes
>>
>>13993872

You have to understand with buses, it's not just the engine. You also have brakes, the air system and electricals.

No way that thing holds air pressure after sitting for 10 years. All the air lines are probably rotted or cracked so the brakes won't work and there will be no suspension.
>>
>>13993902

No. If the vehicle is classified as an RV, you do NOT need an air brake endorsement on your license even if said vehicle has them.
>>
>>13993902
>Yes.
No. The DOT says you are wrong. You can't require an endorsement that doesn't exist except for commercial driver's licenses.
>>
Lol I drive my dad's 48 footer when I was 16 once. It was a riot
>>
>>13993915
What State? 'cause I'm getting this:
> You cannot drive a vehicle equipped with air brakes unless you have passed the written air brake examination and taken your skill/road test in a vehicle equipped with air brakes.
>>
>>13993903
You're not very optimistic.

Get it running and drive it op. Work the kinks out as you go along. It will hold air.

The main thing I would look for is water that has gotten inside and is causing mould.

It's a bus it's a big heavy thing meaning things don't just wear out when sitting. So buy it.
>>
>>13993924
Did they put him in jail for it?
>>
>>13993950
Any state. You cannot drive a vehicle equipped with air brakes without passing the test if you have a CDL. You will not need a CDL for a vehicle under 26,000lbs GVW that isn't set up to carry something like 18 passengers or hazardous materials regardless of what type of brakes it has.
>>
>>13993952

There's a reason why they've all been sitting in someone's yard for 10 years.

People buy them thinking "cheap RV", realize they're in way over their heads and then park the thing on the back 40 once they can't unload the thing on somebody else.

MCIs were some of the cheapest coaches back then, they're a dime a dozen and not worth restoring or fixing at all.

> nightmarish wiring
> terrible air system design
> it will rust faster than a 1st gen Land Rover Disco

Shit, at my company our MCI coaches start rusting and falling apart after 10 years. I would hate to think about how bad a 40 yr old one woul dbe.
>>
>>13993903
Getting the engine running would be the main thing though, it if doesn't have air lines then it would be a matter of getting it moving.

Ten years is not a long time and heavy industrial equipment are typically built to last longer than your passenger car.

If we were talking sitting for 20 years it would be scrap at this point
>>
>>13993952
thanks
>>13993829
>>13993842
>>13993847
>>13993903
paying 1,500 for it and it runs and drives, I tested it yesterday morning
>>
>>13994000
Sweet OP, don't forget to send us some pics.
>>
>>13994009
I'll make a thread later in the week if it all goes through
>>
>>13994000
Just make sure the brakes work. You can't be losing brakes. It's not the movie speed ok.
>>
>>13994017
Dude post a shit ton of pics, i wanna see
>>
>>13994017
yeah thirding this, if it happens, post pics
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.