[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /o/ how lame are tow hooks? I realize it's pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: tow hook.jpg (171 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
tow hook.jpg
171 KB, 1600x1063
Alright /o/ how lame are tow hooks?
I realize it's pretty rice but i can't help but kind of like how they look on civics.
I have a Civic Si and i'v been contemplating buying one for a while, should i do it?
>>
>>13993069
Don't do it.
>>
I think they look pretty good, as long as they aren't super expensive, I would buy one.
>>
>>13993069
Are you planning on getting your car stuck somewhere?

If yes, get a tow hook.

If no and you get one anyway, you're literally on the same level as stancefags
>>
>>13993069
What he said >>13993071

It's an econobox. You don't need a tow hook. You aren't going to track it. When you understeer into a tree, the flatbed driver will find a suitible place to hook up.

My best friend put some red tow hook on his E36, and I talked a bunch of shit to him until he took it off right there. Same situation also happened when he tried to put vinyl ///M stripes on the fender.
>>
>>13993069
ONLY do it if the part is actually functional. So many of those "tow hooks" are for looks only. The second you actually try to use it like a tow hook, it'll snap.
If you get one, get an ACTUAL tow hook. Nothing aluminum. You want something made of high-strength steel.
>>
>>13993091
>giving your friend shit for wanting to put ///M stripes

Come on bro, that shit gives at least +20HP
>>
>>13993097
this. getting one just for looks is the equivalent of adding stick-on vents and carbon fiber vinyl wrap. do it right or dont do it at all
>>
>>13993091
Damn you sound like a pretty shitty friend.
>no one can like anything i don't like!
>>
>>13993149

Exactly what I thought.
>>
>>13993147
But does anyone really buy tow hooks for functionality? I mean really? I always thought it was just for looks.
>>
I have the factory tow hooks, front and rear, inside a storage bag in my spare tire well.

If I'm stuck enough to need them, I'll have time to Install them.
>>
>ITT people dont realize the 'tow hook' in that image attaches to the factory tow hook like on all 8th generation civics
>>
>>13993186
I thought this was obvious?

YES AFTERMARKET TOW HOOKS ATTACH TO FACTORY TOW HOOK
>>
>>13993199
see >>13993083
>>
>>13993149
>>13993152
I promise, I was doing him a service. The hook and stripes were both impulse buy e-bay shit. The hook was on the front bumper and looked shitty because you have to pop off the plastic cap and a piece of trim. And the ///M stripes were cheap vinyl rectangles and were all crooked and poorly placed. Even if they were lined up, they would've looked awful on a black E36 325i (sedan).

Both the stripes and the tow hook he was on the fence about. Like he knew they looked shitty, but didn't want to waste a purchase like that. I just helped him to make the right decision.
>>
File: image.jpg (208 KB, 885x885) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208 KB, 885x885
>>13993225
Here's a pic of the car with the eBay tow hook on it. Look at the big piece of trim you have to remove to get to the recovery point.

Maybe if he drilled through the trim so the tow hook could go on with the trim, it would look better. But I still think the bright red tow hook was too much for a car that he tracks maybe once a year.
>>
If you want to look like a dipshit, then yes.
>>
File: image.jpg (491 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491 KB, 1224x1224
>>13993268
Here it is without the tow hook and trim put back on. So much cleaner looking.

>inb4 "M3 spoiler on a 4 door?!?"
That car will basically be a 4-door E36 M3 once he finally puts the S50 into it. The whole interior is out of an M3 pretty much.
>>
>>13993268
Yeeeah that looks pretty bad. I never liked front tow hooks.
>>
>>13993069
Serious question here, why do ricers put these on?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>13993298
If you think that looks bad, you should've seen the ///M stripes.

I'm tellin you guys, I was being a good friend. Not trying to let a nigga drive something looking like that.
>>
>>13993158
The point of it is an easy attachment point to tow you out of trouble. Functional tow hooks are required in a lot of race car series.
On street cars, it is mostly for looks, but you'll pray it's functional when the tow truck has to pull you out of a ditch in the middle of winter, so it does serve a purpose.
>>
>>13993312
Something to hold onto while fucking the tail pipe.
Gives you +20 TP, thrusting power.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1024x768
>>13993368
Also for towing your jet ski. Regular trailer hitches just look so unsightly on FWD track monsters.
>>
>>13993069
If you like it just get it. And don't listen to anyone else. They just insecure with themselves.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.