[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /o/, shadetree engineer here. Ask me about cars and I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: power.png (162 KB, 1818x2786) Image search: [Google]
power.png
162 KB, 1818x2786
Hi /o/, shadetree engineer here. Ask me about cars and I'll mspaint you a visual explanation.
>>
Explain the difference between atkinson and otto cycle
>>
>>13992815
I'm not sure my mspaint skills are up to the task. Basically, it just keeps the intake valve open into the compression stroke. Pressing against the air coming in through the intake valve keeps the air in the cylinder from pressing against the oncoming piston as hard, increasing efficiency.
>>
What is a redline?
>>
>>13992833
A manufacturer defined limit for maximum operational speed. Did you have something more than that in mind?
>>
In new cars revs are limited by electronics but how did it work for old cars?
>>
How do the magnetorheological dynamic engine mounts in my 991 911 work?
>>
>>13992807
wow. first time in a long time i see somebody who actually understands power, powerbands, torque and what gearing does.
challenge:
how does a limited slip differential work?
how does shifting the centre torque's favourability work? (from 90% rear biased in 'normal mode' to 50/50 POWER distribution)
>what is torque steering?
>>
>>13992849
They just painted a red line on the tach. It's just limited by how much fuel the carbs will flow and how quickly the coil can recharge. If you hold the throttle open with the transmission in neutral, you will destroy the engine.

>>13992850
Fucked if I know. Germans are crazy motherfuckers.

>>13992856
Okay, here we go. Did you have a specific kind of LSD in mind or just power transmission in general?
>>
>>13992849
they didn't

think about a carb-ed engine, you have a linkage between the pedal and the carb
that directly opens the fuel/air flow into the engine

spark is controlled by a rotating brush that contacts some points in an order that coliates with the firing order

there was nothing in the way of revving past red line and fucking your engine beyond a needle passing through some red numbers
>>
>>13992882
well, the standard differential i understand. equal torque on both output sides.
using gears to make that a bias i understand as well.
using brakes to get a certain force distribution to the ground i can understand as well but i get the impression that that's just a E-lock. not a real one.
>>
>>13992850
there is some ferro-magnetic fluid between the engine and the chassis
when an electromagnet is activated it "solidifies" that fluid and firms up your engine mounts

it's the same way magnetic suspension works
>>
>>13992856
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
>>
File: 9f306023fb2dc37707fd7f6ff2e8620b.png (915 KB, 1000x1438) Image search: [Google]
9f306023fb2dc37707fd7f6ff2e8620b.png
915 KB, 1000x1438
>>13992807
I tried to clean the pixel on your first graph off my screen. pls fix.
>>
>>13992917
Jumping into open vs spool vs limited slip rear ends. I'll mention viscous, helical, and clutched LSDs in passing.

Sounds like you were looking for something to do with passive torque bias in AWD systems, though?
>>
Explain how FWD has no disadvantage
>>13992947
Stop pretending to be a girl on 4chan

I can't handle adorable female humans like your pic
>>
>>13992963
>adorable
Ehhh?!
>>
File: diffs.jpg (1 MB, 1918x3106) Image search: [Google]
diffs.jpg
1 MB, 1918x3106
And here it is. Not really that impressed with this one; I had to cut too many corners and I don't think I did as good of a job of explaining things as the old GM video.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.