[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the trick to driving a standard? No stalling and downshifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 2015-12-06_18-12-16_1.jpg (21 KB, 540x421) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06_18-12-16_1.jpg
21 KB, 540x421
Whats the trick to driving a standard?

No stalling and downshifting and such
>>
>>13992479

Practice.
>>
the clutch
>>
>>13992479
Big penis.
>>
>>13992479
Clutch control.

Practice Practice Practice.
>>
>>13992496
On my second year of driving stick and this is so true. You can be shit at everything else, but treat that clutch pedal right and you'll be riding plenty smooth I feel you hwat.
>>
Anyone else shift perfectly when you're alone, but start fucking up a bit when you have passengers?
>performance anxiety
>>
>>13992479

Use the clutch as a regulator in first gear. Unless the car is already going past 10 you should never depress all the way. Or even better if you suck in first then start rolling in 2nd gear.
>>
>>13992479
>no downshifting

Downshifting is integral part of driving a manual.
>>
>>13992479
I don't know. I just stopped caring about doing it right, so now I'm constantly abusing the clutch. But at least it feels smooth...
>>
Best way is to do it for about 2 hours, which is the time it takes to master it
>>
>>13992604
It only happens when I think about it too much. Must be a muscle memory thing.
>>
the trick is to not be mentally disabled
>>
>>13992479
never let the RPM drop below 5k
>>
>>13992621
I was saying "downshifting" by itself
>>
>>13992736
A piece of advice that should definitely be used. Especially with diesels.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>13993300
>B...b...but I'm trying and it won't go any higher!

I wonder what it would sound like going down a mountain in a low gear and just letting that big ass inline 6 rev up to 7k rpm. Probably like hell. Then hit the jake brake and start shaking the ground with the noise.
>>
>>13992736
>Never let the RPM drop below 5k

U wot
>>
>>13992489
>not being able to perfectly clutchless shift
nigger are you even trying?
>>
File: git gud.jpg (27 KB, 316x277) Image search: [Google]
git gud.jpg
27 KB, 316x277
>>13992479
git gud
>>
>>13993300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYttMIdUmA
>>
>>13992479

>>13992488
>>13992496
This

Bought my first manual this summer after first trying on my dad's car and doing nothing but stalling. I swore something was wrong with me and I would never learn and I should probably just stick to automatics, and that I wasn't the type who was supposed to drive a manual, but then I thought to myself just how horribly limiting that would be as a car person. There's so many cars that have to be enjoyed as a stick, or can't be had in automatic (or if you do, you better get the helium tanks out) that I would never get to experience. Couple that with the fact I needed something more reliable and fuel efficient than a '90 Benz with 300K miles on it and I got myself an '05 Focus stick

Had to have my dad drive it from the dealer to the park to practice on, took me a few days to get comfortable enough to go onto the open road with and a few weeks to be comfortable with hill starts but it's all I drive now and the way it feels I couldn't imagine not knowing how, it's more fun and every car I get from now forward, if I can get it in manual, I will, I absolutely prefer it over automatic. Yeah I still stall every once in a while from my foot slipping or letting out the clutch too fast. It's absolutely like riding a bike:

As someone who doesn't know, you have no idea how anyone could ever be that coordinated, but after you learn, you think "how can you not?" It's like that.

As far as tips, I'd say find a car with a good shifter and a bit of gut under the hood, if possible.

I was about to buy a cheap rig that was past its useful life as I've heard those are almost impossible to stall when unladen, but you shouldn't need that. If you want 100% easy mode (supposedly, I've never driven one though) and you have access to a rig then by all means, but just get a modern car and take it slow.

My biggest blocker was mental: trying not to burn the clutch. You are allowed to let the clutch slip. That is literally what it was designed to do.
>>
>>13996778
>all stock
rest in peace engine
>>
>>13992604
happens to me all the time. its like I try too hard to be smooth and lose the rhythm of it entirely
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.