[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Land Rover Defender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Defender90.jpg (360 KB, 2676x1810) Image search: [Google]
Defender90.jpg
360 KB, 2676x1810
Hi. Yuropoor here. What does /o/ think about the LR Defender? Would it make a good DD (diesel engines are the only available in my country)? Also LR Defender thread.
>>
>>13991423
>Would it make a good DD
Do you value comfort or quietin any sense whatsoever? If yes, then no it won't be.
Also they're not as great on fuel as you would think and the driving position is a bit awkward on the older ones
>>
>>13991423
>Would it make a good DD
No.

Don't buy a Defender. Buy a Discovery 3 or 4.
>>
File: media-38507-141596.jpg (50 KB, 529x298) Image search: [Google]
media-38507-141596.jpg
50 KB, 529x298
>>13991423
I almost got one but what killed it for me was the fact that they are slow as balls.
Being able to do 0-60 in under 15 seconds and go above 60mph were things i was not willing to sacrifice for its looks which was 80% of why i wanted it considering i dont have much time or money to go off-roading.

If you can live with the lack of performance and don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty on the weekend then i dont see why you couldn't daily it, i know plenty of rural folks by me that do.
>>
>>13991544
Buying a Defender for going off road is silly when you can buy lots of better vehicles that will outperform it off road.
>>
>>13991482
OP here. I kinda want one for learn to wrench a bit and turn it more "civilized", so does applying sound proof material would make it better or what can i do?
>>
>>13991568
You can buy something else.
>>
>>13991556
Defenders are brilliant off road, there really isn't anything that can outperform it for the same budget, keeping in mind a good defender can be had for about £3000.
>>
>>13991568
Suzuki Jimny

>>13991556
>lots of better vehicles that will outperform it off road.
like?
>>
>>13991568
You can't make a defender more civilized.
They are loud, uncomfortable and slow.
They are the definition of utilitarian.

If you want a big tough off road going truck that you can use as a daily then look at discoverys.

If you want something smaller then look at freelanders - my friend has a td4 and its a brilliant thats done very well on some dirt trials.

If you want a big 4x4 with no intention of ever offroading then get an suv
>>
>>13991599
I'm assuming that's just because cars are plain expensive in England and Land Defenders are common and domestic.
>>13991603
>like?
Anything off road oriented made in the last 15 years, anything before that with rear or front and rear locking differentials.
>>
File: lrbowler_challenge_001.jpg (238 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
lrbowler_challenge_001.jpg
238 KB, 1200x800
op here again. my car is a 2002 seat ibiza with a 3 cylinder 1.4 tdi engine. great fuel economy but it runs on 205/45R16, suspension is to stiff and roads are turning into shit. i wanted the defender because >>13991568, and it looks that can take the abuse of daily driving
>>
>>13991645
You do know Defenders have locking diffs right?
The only thing I can think of that would better a Defender short of a Hummer or Mega Cruiser is a G-Wagon and that's not far off the pace from a Defender anyway
>>
>>13991659
>You do know Defenders have locking diffs right?
Proof?
>The only thing I can think of that would better a Defender short of a Hummer or Mega Cruiser is a G-Wagon and that's not far off the pace from a Defender anyway
I can tell you don't go off road very much.
>>
File: fed.png (161 KB, 1315x847) Image search: [Google]
fed.png
161 KB, 1315x847
Someday I wanna take a Defender 110 utility wagon, remove the spare, shorten the rear overhang to Defender 90 dimensions, put it on lowered air ride and street tires, swap the only Rover V8 for a newer unit, run it on LPG and make the interior as comfortable as possible through insulation and Ranger Rover seats.

>shorter than a 3-door Audi A3
>but comfy riding 110 inch wheelbase
>torque for days with cheap fill-ups
>rated to tow 3500 kg (7700 lbs)
>>
File: 2009-kia-sorento-pic-18416.jpg (62 KB, 705x474) Image search: [Google]
2009-kia-sorento-pic-18416.jpg
62 KB, 705x474
>>13991655
For those reasons i dont think a defender is right for you.
buy any jap/korean suv thing. It will be nicer to drive daily, handle your roads and you can learn to wrench on it by doing standard servicing and fitting whatever gay bull bars and lights you think you want.

My parents daily pic related and its pretty good.
Comfy, good on fuel, not horribly slow and has a decent awd system.

>>13991674
>Proof?
The fact that they almost all do come with locking diffs, you can look this up, its a fact.

Off-road performance is difficult to quantify. Its very situational and depends alot on the driver.
A standard defender can easily perform as well or better than ANY standard jeep or pickup.
>>
>>13991674
Are you daft?
EVERY 90,101,110 and Defender has locking diffs. ALL OF THEM.
>>
" It produces 122bhp, while 221lb ft of torque comes in at 1950rpm. Few performance figures are available, but the Defender feels as if it will accelerate from 0-60mph comfortably under 20 seconds and Land Rover claims it will reach a maximum of 87mph. Not that you'd want to witness a top speed run because the engine noise becomes rather wearing by the time you've reached 60mph. The gearchange is notchy, slow and has a long shift action, especially from fourth to fifth. It has a poor turning circle which can make parking a more difficult task. As a vehicle designed (more than 50 years ago) to offer the ultimate performance off road, it means the Defender is compromised on-road. Tall and narrow, the Defender is prone to body roll when cornering and occupants get thrown around on bumpy road surfaces"

TLDR; No
>>
>>13991674
>I can tell you don't go off road very much.
I've gone off road quite a fair bit atually.
>>
>>13991689
>>13991695
>The fact that they almost all do come with locking diffs, you can look this up, its a fact.
>EVERY 90,101,110 and Defender has locking diffs. ALL OF THEM.
I've never seen a Defender with front and rear lockers from the factory. Nothing comes up from Googling 'Land Rover Defender factory locking differentials' other than people discussing center locking differentials in early Discos and MKI Range Rovers.
>>
>>13991740

they have difflock
>>
>>13991753
A center locking differential, maybe.
>>
>>13991678
Don't forget to put spinners on it
>>
>>13991760
But those would serve no practical purpose, where as everything I listed would make it a better street vehicle and daily driver.
>>
>>13991756

Yeah in the transfer box , they dont have locks on the axles.
>>
>>13991423
>Would it make a good DD

Depends what you need in a DD. IF you're going from your apartment to your job in the city, fuck no. If you're going from your country home to your job in the city, fuck no. If you need to do light off roading or drive in any conditions then maybe.

If you want a LR DD get a Disco 2 diesel. Like a Disco 1 but without the colossal rust issues.
>>
>>13991769
So I was right, that's what I thought.
>>
>>13991740
Defenders have central locking diffs.
The Series Rovers don't
So yeah you're right no front and rear locking, just central. That's all I was thinking of.

Still, a Defender is pretty damn good offroad.
My Patrol had all three locking diffs and i'd still take a Defender over it.
>>
>>13991785
>My Patrol had all three locking diffs and i'd still take a Defender over it.
Aftermarket? Because Patrols only ever had an optional rear locker. Why would you take a Defender over it?
>>
>>13991789
Defender doesn't weigh 5000lbs
Y60 Grandroad Wagon (not my installation)
Has a Y61 Super Safari from work that was pretty nice
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.