[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any non ASE certified mechanics here who work as a mechanic at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Any non ASE certified mechanics here who work as a mechanic at home or own their own small shop? looking to start doing a little on the side have a few questions.
>>
It's not like ASE is a universal cert that makes you a professional or not, running your own shop properly requires permits from the city and state, and insurance, that's what I would look into first. I used to do side work here and there but it's just not worth it, liability is way too high. LLC protects you a bit but not enough to do unlicensed work.
>>
>>13991129
They town I live in only requires a business license for those inside the city limits or who are going to be operating inside the city limits, which I am not...I used to be an auto dealer a few years ago and insurance and licenses fees basicly put me out of business..i only expect to be doing 1 or 2 jobs per week
>>
>>13990987
Right here. I prefer to work on motorcycles but this Saturday I'm doing a timing belt, water pump, cv axle, and valve cover gasket in a 2001 Honda Accord. Then on Sunday I'm replacing the little choke seals on a 1994 GSXR 1100 because they leak like a beyitch
>>
>>13991200
It makes no difference how many cars you work on, it only takes 1 lawsuit to take all the money you will ever make. To get insurance you need to join your states bureau of automotive repair or equivalent, and comply with any state and local laws for running a shop. Without that doing side work is risky, it's up to you if you feel the risk/reward is worth it.
>>
>>13991200
In the three years I've been doing it, I haven't had on upset customer. Shit has inevitably come back to haunt me, but when it does I just fix it on my own dime and make the customer feel like a prince/princess.
>>
>>13991239
What kinda shit has come back to haunt you?
>>
>>13991259
The carbs on a Bulldog Mastiff chopper leaked fuel all in this dudes garage after I had been working on it (technically wasn't my fault, but I took ownership of it) Dude was cool about it.

One guys brake caliper bolt backed out on a Chevy Avalanche and left him stranded on the side of the road. I still think one of his neighbors sabotaged his truck because I KNOW I torqued it down(he lived in the ghetto)
Not much else really come to think of it.
>>
>>13991298
Also the Avalanche dude is like my best customer and has connected me to a whole neighborhood that I work on.
Better thank my white privilege.
>>
>>13991298
That's not horrible.....what did u have to do to make it right to them?
>>
>>13991311
Fix their shit and make them happy. Being able to gracefully apologize and maintain composure while fixing their problems is a valuable skill to have.

Haven't blown anything up yet, cross your fingers for me.
>>
>>13991298
Let's say that guys wheel locked up when the caliper rotated and he crashed, it would be extremely easy for that guy (or worse, his insurance company) to go after your personal funds, to the court it looks like
-unlicensed mechanic does brake job in his garage
-brake fails
-car crashes
You really think they are going to believe someone sabotaged it right after you did the brakes? This is why side work isn't worth it.
>>
>>13991346
Technically I do it at their homes. I travel to the vehicle.
>>
>>13991346
But if he isn't advertising as a mechanic with no signage ect....than wouldn't it basically just be like the avalanche guy let his buddy do a brake job for a few bucks.. which you don't need a license to do
>>
>>13991346
The risk is definitely worth it considering I don't make enough doing full time electrical work on boats to keep the lights on, heat running, cars working, and mouths fed. Life isn't full of easy choices, friend. Sometimes you gotta stick your neck out.
>>
>>13991346
Are you a shop owner?
>>
Only for friends and family. To much BS otherwise.
>>
>>13991351
Doesn't make any difference

>>13991367
Doesn't matter, the issue with him not being licensed is he can't get insurance, and has no believability in court as he was charging for a professional service without being recognized as a professional

>>13991368
Your call, don't read the horror stories on expertlaw

>>13991403
No (nor would I want to be), but I work in a small shop and know what it takes to get state and city licensing in California
>>
>>13991518
Good on you for having opinions.
>>
>>13991518
Im in Kentucky the laws here are much more lax and practically non existent as far as the regulation of auto mechanics go.... There are 4 shops in my small town im not sure if they are insured or not but none of them have any ase certs.
>>
What kind of diagnostic scanner are you guys using?
>>
I'm not certified but I am a medium/heavy duty suspension tech.
My certification is 6 years of experience. Good enough for the shop I'm at.
>>
>>13991718
Yeah man experience trumps a piece of paper any day for my money.... what kind of labor guide are you guys using over there? I looking for something I can use to bid jobs that's not going to cost me every month.
>>
>>13991734
Honestly I don't know. I stay out of the red tape, and just fix trucks.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.