[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to rent a manual transmission car I can practice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Stick.jpg (23 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
Stick.jpg
23 KB, 600x339
Is it possible to rent a manual transmission car I can practice with?

My uncle offered to help me learn to drive stick, but the family doesn't own any manual vehicles besides an AMC AMX which is the last car I want to accidentally fuck up.

I know there are courses on how to drive one, but I imagine this would be cheaper.
>>
>>13988173
>rent a car
You are looking at between 3-500 dollars for a 3-5 days on a car, if you are lucky, those are almost all auto though.

Of course, you also have to be over 25 to rent those cars.
>>
>>13988173
desu if you have about 1k you can go buy a beat up civic in manual trans (or a sentra in my case) and drive it til it breaks.
alternatively you've just got a DD
>>
1. Read up how to drive it online
2. Buy manual car
3. Make an ass out of yourself for a week

That or just get someone to drive it back from wherever you buy it and learn afterwards.
>>
>>13988195
>a week
Why am I one of those people who learn things so fast, everytime someone asks how long it took me to learn I say about 2 hours.

Which it did, after that I stalled the car one time on a uphill stop sign.
>>
Buy cheap manual car ~$500
Drive the fuck out of it
Scrap it for ~$200

Thrashing a beater is extremely fun and learning to fix it might help you in the future.

Why people would spend money on video games or racing simulators when you can go out and actually drive, is beyond me.
>>
Just buy some shitbox Honda or something. It'll be cheaper than renting a car long enough to get good at stick
>>
>>13988236
Because driving a manual isn't fucking hard at all. If you are bragging about your ability to do it you may as well brag about your ability to whipe your ass.
Euro fucking peans can drive a manual transmission and they have to because they are so poor.
>>
>>13988393
>HURRR learning is the same as driving daily
look faggot, I said learning it, when I learned to drive my car it was in 2 hours and then I had to drive 150 miles that day, over the course of a week and well over 1000 miles total of city driving I stalled once, on a uphill at 30 degrees.

I'm not bragging about driving stick, I just don't get why so many fucks like yourself take so damn long to learn how to do it.

>a week
As you said, how many times, you stall it while sucking your boyfriends dick? a couple hundred?

Get rekt ya fag.
>>
>>13988393
If Europeans can do it anyone can do it.
They're all poor and dirty and inbred over there.
Makes me sick just thinking about it.
>>
>>13988405
>I just don't get why so many fucks like yourself take so damn long to learn how to do it.
What the fuck are you talking about I haven't said a word about my ability to drive stick or how long it took.
I'm just insulting you for trying to brag about being able to drive stick.
>>
>>13988422
Look at this faggot, it took him like 3 weeks to not stall out his dads beater car.

Seriously get rekt you shitter.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>13988173
Go to a bunch of different Ferd dealers and tell them you want to test drive some Focus and Fiesta ST's with the Manuél.

You could also call around to some driving schools. Or learn in the AMX, with all that torque, you probably won't stall much if you aren't retarded. Or like others have said, if you are planning on buying a car with a manual trans, just put around in the parking lot for 30min and you should be proficient enough to drive the thing home.

Manual is real easy to learn, just takes a little while to master.
>>
>>13988431
All this projecting, why m8?
>>
>>13988439
Because you are some euro faggot, or an AUS, either or, you are some shitter who can't drive stick for shit.

Hell if you are murican you are the worst, you probably have some idol like ken block.

fag.
>>
>>13988405
>stalling even once
Lol you suck.
>>
>>13988442
I'm either AUS Euro or an America.
That is some great deduction there m8.
What have I said that ruled out me being a jap?
>>
>>13988446
How does it feel destroying your clutch?
>>
>>13988452
Implying stalling is an effective way to not burn out your cluth.
M8 the car won't move if you stall it.
>>
sure, I rent cars every month or so. Rates vary but they start around $25 for an econo shitbox
>>
>>13988448
Your shit English.
>>
>>13988452
Wat?
>>
>>13988459
m8, hold your clutch half way in so you don't stall it is far worse.
>>
>>13988468
You can either
a. stall it
b. hold your clutch half way in so you don't stall it.

Yep, those are the only two options for sure.
>>
>>13988468
Who does this? No one said they did this.
>>
>>13988477
I assume it's the same guy that is implying all those implications about me because I don't think him learning to drive stick "so fast" is impressive.
>>
File: 1376068284160.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1376068284160.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>13988474
So then you are going to floor it and hit the car in front of you?

Get a load of this fag.

>>13988477
you do it faggot, I've seen you do it.

I'm fucking watching you. All the time.
>>
>>13988482
This is what he learned in those 2 hours lol.
>>
>>13988488
Got dayum. Kid doesn't even know about feeling the bite point, giving it just a little bit of gas when you feel the sweet delicious bite.

>>13988482
Git gud
>>
>>13988481
never understood why people get so butthurt about manual
>drive stick and brag
faggot for bragging about something easy
>dont/cant drive stick
faggot isnt really driving
>>
>>13988173
just buy a car and learn it
i bought my first manual (second car) brand spankin new 0 miles off the lot and practiced during the test drive and on the way home (by practice i mean stalling every 15 seconds). figured that shit out in 3 hours after i got home by going stopsign to stopsign in my neighborhood that had like 10 in a line 50 feet from eachother, and got gud in a week. all this with maybe 20 minutes practice in my buddies car months before and reading how to into manual and watching some youtube vids.
>>
I understand all the mechanics and how it's meant to be done. Just haven't had the opportunity to actually put theory into practice yet.

Going to actually have an opportunity soon though.
>>
>>13988412

Underrated as fuck
>>
>>13988173

you're not going to fuck it up

stalling the car a few times while learning isn't going to kill it
>>
>>13988173
You can't rent a car until you're like 24 years old and I don't even think rental places even carry manuals.

>>13988236
Any jack ass can learn how to drive a manual well enough to get the car moving in 2 hours. Took me about 3ish or so until I felt safe enough to get myself home.
>>
>>13988966
>3 hours
Weak
>24 years old
It is actually 25 most big places because of insurance. But you can rent a big U-Haul truck at 18 years old somehow. And go to war and get shot at. But this isn't /pol/.

Anyway when I was 20 or 21, some flatbed truck wrecked my car in a parking lot. And I was able to get a rental from Enterprise for 3 weeks while it was getting fixed. No idea how that worked. Good ol' insurance.
>>
>>13988983
I learned in a WRX, it is the most unforgiving car you will ever drive. Fucking thing wants to stall the moment you find the bite point. Iv since driven 6-7 other manuals and still stand by my stance that a WRX is one of the most difficult cars Iv had to drive while a Mustang GT was the easiest. Virtually impossible to stall.
>>
>>13988993
I have a mustang gt. It's hard to stall. I don't think I've done in it 7+ years, you would have to be on a HUGE incline and randomly drop the clutch at idle to stall it.
>>
I've read up on how to drive a manual, and my friend is willing to teach me in his Wrangler YJ.

What are the odds of me ruining his clutch?
>>
>>13988173
No idea what shit fuck backwards country you live in.
But in my country if you get a licence for an auto, you can only drive an auto.
>>
File: c65.jpg (15 KB, 236x373) Image search: [Google]
c65.jpg
15 KB, 236x373
>>13988412
baiting this hard
>>
>>13988393
true though. asked my dad a long time ago as a kid:"why do we use manual if the automatic is easier?" because it is more expensive and heavier
>>
>>13988278
It's cheaper and more opportunistic. I don't think you'll ever be able to drive a Mclaren F1 GTR at Least Man's irl.
>>
>>13989293
Low. Clutches can handle infrequent fuckups just fine. Shouldn't take you more than a couple days to learn.

If you can learn to play a video game, you can learn manual.
>>
>>13988173
just buy any used european shitbox.
oh wait, you can't because of 25 year import ban.
it must really suck to live in the land of free.
>>
File: This_Fucking_Guy.jpg (34 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
This_Fucking_Guy.jpg
34 KB, 680x510
>>13989633
That's what we have our own shitboxes for and Japanese ones that were sold here. Try harder next time.
>>
>>13989348
I think a few states have CDL laws like that. If you test in a truck with an automatic transmission, your license is restricted to only automatics. In IL, where I got my license, you have to test with a manual trans. But FL, where I live now, they let people test for their Class A CDL's in automatic trucks with no restrictions. They could legally drive a truck with an 18spd trans on the road even tho they have only driven autos. Kinda fucked up.

With semi trucks, it makes sense to require testing in manuals or having a restriction if somebody tests in an automatic truck, The un-synchronized transmissions are less forgiving than regular car transmissions. And if the driver doesn't know what he is doing, he could have an 80,000lb truck run away down a hill. Dangerous for everybody on the road.

Car restrictions like that aren't quite as important. It is so easy to drive manual cars with minimum practice. Plus almost all cars in the US are auto. And somebody driving a 3300lb car who isn't used to manual is far less dangerous than a trucker who can't get a 40 ton truck into gear.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.