[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
93 lincoln town car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 4-6-complete.jpg (72 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
4-6-complete.jpg
72 KB, 604x453
93 lincoln town car executive edition wont start! Radio, lights (inside and out including dash) and horn work but when I try to turn it over nothing happens. Can you maybe circle where the starter would be located and/or give me some advice on how to fix?
>>
>>13985774
It's underneath on the right side.

My question is what determined it's the starter?
>>
Because its not starting? I know nothing about cats. I Just replaced my water pump which was surprisingly easy considering the serpentine belt and now those happens. I'm at a loss.
>>
>>13985794
Is it only accessible from underneath?
>>
>>13985774
Is there at least a click from the engine bay? If not then it could be the starter solenoid. I've got a '95 town car.
>>
>>13985841
Yes.
>>
>>13985827

You disconnected something somewhere. Find it.
>>
>>13985827
>replacing the water pump on your cat

>>13986340
This. Have a friend turn the key. Listen for a nice big click from the starter solenoid. Also go to harbor frieght and buy a $5 multimeter so you can see if it's even getting power.
>>
>>13986340
No click or anything. I had an older Corsica that I used to start by smacking the Cellinoid, but its harder to find on this beast of a motor.
>>
Not totally true actually; I can hear kind of a hum/whiney sound that cuts out...
>>
>>13986464
That's the fuel pump, it primes when you turn the ignition to the on position.

The starter is on the passenger side by the exhaust downpipe from the manifold. Easiest way is to crawl under or jack it up and wack away.
>>
>>13985774
I've literally never seen a starter just go out. They will usually short out internally over time and gradually get weaker and weaker.

It really sounds more like you have an open circuit issue somewhere.

Like an anon said check out the voltage on your starter terminals with a multimeter to be sure. If you've got 12.3v or more across the starter then r&r starter.

t. I'm a kenworth certified electrical technician
>>
You may have accidentally disconnected a ground somewhere while you were replacing the water pump. Either that, or you disconnected either one or both of the battery terminals and reconnected them without confirming good contact on either one.

As far as the starter goes, I know that Ford tends to put the starter solenoid near the battery. Try mating the terminals with a screwdriver to see if the motor spins.
>>
Clean the battery terminals, jesus /o/ why wasn't this the first thing said in the thread.
>>
Okay so it does make a click sound from some sort of power distribution/fuse box every time. Located the starter I think, impossible to work on without a Jack. Will get an mutimeter and a jack tomorrow. Will have terminals make sexy time as well. Thanks for the help guys!!! Will probably post tomorrow.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.